• 2 Post By jjcom
  • 1 Post By Guvnor64
  • 1 Post By Redmaxx
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Official farewell to the jeep compass group

For the past 4 months I've been having nuisance electronic issues with my 2018 Compass and I no longer want to deal with it.
This last Friday, I went and traded in my Jeep for a new BMW.

I've given it as much patience as I can muster. I hope FIAT Chrysler take a good hard look at their product and take customer complains much much more seriously. It's been more enjoyable in this forum than my ownership experience. This has been the shortest time period I've ever owned a brand new car in the 32 years that I've been driving.

I just wanted to thank all the members that have contributed and help answered all of my concerns and those who lend sympathetic ears. I wish you all trouble free miles and safe travels ahead.
fjroman2 and Jasmine like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Garage
Best of luck with the new wheels!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Good luck. BMW's are typically glass cannons, and are very adept at emptying wallets quickly. I hope yours isn't one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Very smart. I wish I could get rid of my POS Compass.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #5 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Very smart. I wish I could get rid of my POS Compass.
I also wish I could get rid of my POS Compass. I have worked for Chrysler for over 28 years and the 2nd generation Compass is by far the worst car I have ever had. We all know the Compass is nothing more than a POS Fiat 500.

16,000 miles and every day seems to bring on a new issue. From Start/Stop Battery Charging issues to Park Sensor Disabled problems. Squeaky brakes, discolored rear fascia and liftgate handle - my Compass is white and the body colored fascias have a yellow tint. In fact, take a close look at all white Jeep Compass models and you will see the discoloration. The ride is rough, the engine under powered and the interior is filled with squeak and rattles - enough to drive you crazy.

Oh, how I wish I could drive it off a cliff....
Eric Ryan Childers likes this.

Last edited by Guvnor64; 01-29-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvnor64 View Post
I also wish I could get rid of my POS Compass. I have worked for Chrysler for over 28 years and the 2nd generation Compass is by far the worst car I have ever had. We all know the Compass is nothing more than a POS Fiat 500.

16,000 miles and every day seems to bring on a new issue. From Start/Stop Battery Charging issues to Park Sensor Disabled problems. Squeaky breaks, discolored rear fascia and liftgate handle - my Compass is white and the body colored fascias have a yellow tint. In fact, take a close look at all white Jeep Compass models and you will see the discoloration. The ride is rough, the engine under powered and the interior is filled with squeak and rattles - enough to drive you crazy.

Oh, how I wish I could drive it off a cliff....
The engine blew on mine at 10,700 miles. It took a month for them to replace the engine. Then right after the tensioner and serpentine belt had to be replaced. I have a vibration at about 45 MPH, I am having issues with the auto start/stop all the time (I constantly have to restart the vehicle to make it stop having the auto start/stop error), I have had it tell me there is an attempted break-in (after driving it for 3 hours), the windshield is a rock magnet (cracked windshield and yes I know Michigan roads suck) and I have zero faith in the vehicle. Someone at the dealership dinged my door while it was in for engine replacement, and I went through arbitration and was told, so sad, too bad.
Guvnor64 likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #7 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
The engine blew on mine at 10,700 miles. It took a month for them to replace the engine. Then right after the tensioner and serpentine belt had to be replaced. I have a vibration at about 45 MPH, I am having issues with the auto start/stop all the time (I constantly have to restart the vehicle to make it stop having the auto start/stop error), I have had it tell me there is an attempted break-in (after driving it for 3 hours), the windshield is a rock magnet (cracked windshield and yes I know Michigan roads suck) and I have zero faith in the vehicle. Someone at the dealership dinged my door while it was in for engine replacement, and I went through arbitration and was told, so sad, too bad.

I am on my 4th windshield since taking delivery August 2017. Yes, the roads are bad in MI but, you are correct, the car is a stone magnet and cracks always happen in the line of vision.

I cannot believe you had to have your engine replaced. My neighbor took delivery of a Renegade late last year. The next day, he started the car and the whole electrical system failed. There was smoke coming from the dashboard vents. The Renegade, which shares the same platform as the Compass and Fiat 500, is often referred as the "Handgrenade " here at work due to electrical issues.

I refuse to let my teen age boys drive the car because the transmission has a horrible lag. Also, after backing out of the driveway, when I put the car in drive, there is a 5 second pause before the car even moves.

This car is an embarrassment to the Jeep line up (as is the Renegade). My last lease was a Cherokee which was a great car. My wife has a Grand Cherokee which is also a real Jeep. The new Compass was executed poorly. I am trying to break my lease but, Chrysler Capital have been jerks.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvnor64 View Post
I am trying to break my lease but, Chrysler Capital have been jerks.
We got out of our Compass lease by leasing another FCA vehicle, not exactly what I wanted to do.... My wife wanted the new RAM if we had to get another FCA vehicle. I had to come to the table with about $900 cash but after about 2 months I got a check from FCA for $1,800 as the vehicle sold more than it's residual value. I also got after bitching up a storm with FCA Customer care six free oil changes and tire rotations for the truck as a result of our poor experience with the Compass.

This RAM gets the same gas mileage (my compass could never break 16mpg), sits higher and has more options than the Compass. Also got money back and free service as a result. Don't expect Chrysler Capital to assist in getting out of the lease. They don't care. Neither does FCA Customer Care. Customer care is useless for trying to get out of the car, they just want to pacify you by fixing the vehicle. They don't deal in opting out. FCA really doesn't have an option of getting out of a vehicle unless you can claim it a lemon with a lawyer or file for Arbitration but the arbitration is rigged as it's suppose to be an independent arbitrator but they are in cahoots with FCA. I won't doubt for one second they get a kick back for siding with the manufacturer.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I went and traded in my Jeep for a new BMW.
Congrats, you have joined the ranks with me on getting rid of a POS. I was having nightmares and sudden fits of rage with my Compass. My wife was much worse.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Good luck. BMW's are typically glass cannons, and are very adept at emptying wallets quickly. I hope yours isn't one of them.
Yeah but in a BMW, they come to your house and bring you a new BMW to drive while they work on your car, It also comes with a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty and free maintenance service.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 PM

Your paying for that service. My buddy dumped his BMW after 2 years because of electrical issues. Today everything made is junk! I only lease now, after buying cars for 37 years. All the best in your new ride.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
(my compass could never break 16mpg)
I've had the oil problem, but my fuel economy has been great; I get just about double your MPG.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

jj, sorry to see you go, but can't blame you. I dumped my '93 Cherokee because I couldn't keep a clutch in it. At some point patience runs thin and ya gotta do something. Good luck with the new car.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnadam View Post
Your paying for that service. My buddy dumped his BMW after 2 years because of electrical issues. Today everything made is junk! I only lease now, after buying cars for 37 years. All the best in your new ride.
He kept it for 2 years after electrical issues? I barely made 4 months. He had a lot more patience than me.
I've had a 3 series once before about 20 years ago and didn't have a single issue. I drove it for 120K miles before selling it for $5k.

If I had leased my Jeep, I would never have been able to get out until the end of contract.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
He kept it for 2 years after electrical issues? I barely made 4 months. He had a lot more patience than me.
I've had a 3 series once before about 20 years ago and didn't have a single issue. I drove it for 120K miles before selling it for $5k.

If I had leased my Jeep, I would never have been able to get out until the end of contract.
I had a BMW Z4 between 2006 and 2012. It was an absolutely gorgeous and reliable car for the first 4 years. I probably never loved driving a car as much as that one. But eventually it did have electrical problems and I had to sell it because they couldnt fix it properly, I think the issue is that technicians here do not have the "BMW" know how of German technicians, so if things go wrong they have hard time fixing it. They drive BMWs for 20-30 years in Germany, so nothing is wrong with the car. But here in US, you cant sell one after 15 years because nobody wants to risk it. They are very expensive to fix if something major breaks down.
jjcom likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got 7 years/100k miles extra coverage and 4/50K miles free maintenance service. So far it's been good. My Jeep was acting up the first week with the 4x4 issue and climate control issue the following week.

I'm hoping my post will drum up more care and attention from the folks at FIAT Chrysler for everyone here as well as potential buyers out there. It will be such a shame if this falls on deaf ears.

Last edited by jjcom; 01-29-2019 at 11:42 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-02-2019, 01:19 AM

Which BMW did you get? Share some pictures. Still a community.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's a BMW X1 xdrive28i

https://imgur.com/3qdZaQb

https://imgur.com/qYQI591

Last edited by jjcom; 02-06-2019 at 01:18 AM.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 12:18 AM

Very nice. Like how you spec'd it out!
post #20 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the pics..nice ride. Good luck with your new acquisition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in