My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Auto Headlights, Automatic Headlight. (It's possible)

23K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  bborgeso 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT AND UPDATED. I WAS WRONG THE MIRROR ITS NOT REQUIRED. I somehow explained at the ends of the thread.

Hello I think it's possible to enable auto headlight but it would require to enable I think the twilight sensor.

Maybe it works if I add it.

The AlfaOBD shows on read systems informations that it reads when the headlight switch is in auto position. But it does not perform. In any condition. Probably its because the twilight sensor is not enabled. I heard from a journey forum that the sensor required is in the. Interior rear view mirror. (The one with auto dimming) has the sensor in the back as other forum stated. It may be possible.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello I think it's possible to enable auto headlight but it would require to enable I think the twilight sensor.

The AlfaOBD shows on read systems informations that it reads when the headlight switch is in auto position. But it does not perform. In any condition. Probably its because the twilight sensor is not enabled. I heard from a journey forum that the sensor required is in the. Interior rear view mirror. (The one with auto dimming) has the sensor in the back as other forum stated. It may be possible.
I thought that sensor was for auto high-beams. So it turns the high-beams on in there are no cars in front in either direction and it turns them off if a car approaches or goes in front of you. I thought the auto light sensor is the dome like thing next to the central speaker on the console.

I can try to cover the sensor behind the mirror to see if it triggers lights turning on. I can do this for both sensors and will let you know.

#3 ·

I thought that sensor was for auto high-beams. So it turns the high-beams on in there are no cars in front in either direction and it turns them off if a car approaches or goes in front of you. I thought the auto light sensor is the dome like thing next to the central speaker on the console.

I can try to cover the sensor behind the mirror to see if it triggers lights turning on. I can do this for both sensors and will let you know.
Remember to also cover up the dash sensor. I think it requires both sensors so.

#4 ·
So I went ahead and activate the twilight sensor. And now my headlights if I leave it in the auto position turn off when the vehicle is off and on when the vehicles is on. I think it's missing the necessary sensor or maybe other configuration to make the auto headlights work how they should.

But for now they turn on and off with the ignition. If the switch is left to the auto position.

But indeed the sensor or required hardware. It's missing or maybe the correct setting. I also went to the dealership and saw 2-3 latitude with the normal mirror. So the mirror is not needed.

#7 ·
Jaime,
I asked a dealership electrician today about the modifications and sensors needed for the Auto-headlight feature. He told me that the sensor for this feature in MP Compass is the infrared sensor for the rain sensor (auto-wipers), located on the box on the windshield behind the rearview mirror. So, to have this feature you need to install the rain sensor in your windshield.

#6 ·
Does anyone have an idea of where the HVAC Module is located?

Apparently I need to attach the sunoad sensor. But the wiring is not on the sensor location. Apparently Chrysler tucks away the cable. And I need to know where is the module so I can track the cable location. And route it to where it's supposed to be.

Attachments

#8 ·
UPDATE: WELL I enabled the twilight sensor option in the body computer and added the sun sensor and wiring. And now I have automatic headlights and fog lights.

I previously added the fog lights and the switch. So I only needed the sun sensor and the wiring. Which for the sport model. It's not in place. I had to made my own wiring using Mopar connector parts. Il be adding parts

Attachments

#18 ·
UPDATE: WELL I enabled the twilight sensor option in the body computer and added the sun sensor and wiring. And now I have automatic headlights and fog lights.

I previously added the fog lights and the switch. So I only needed the sun sensor and the wiring. Which for the sport model. It's not in place. I had to made my own wiring using Mopar connector parts. Il be adding parts
Where do you plug in this harness you made? Thanks

#10 ·
Here are the connectors. Which I used to connect the cables and wiring. I also took a lot of research on this project and find out that almost all Chrysler current gen vehicles share a lot of wiring like this vehicle the Cherokee, Renegade, Dart and some others share a lot of how the canbus works.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I think you only require the auto headlights switch and you need to enable twilight sensor on the ALFAOBD.

I think the BCM is configured to get the light source from trh rain sensor or the HVAC module sun sensor. I'm not sure I could be wrong but that's what I read on that Dart forum from a guy that posted schematics.

UPDATED: I beleive if you are handy with tools and your skills. I beleive you can dissasenbly de headligth switch and break the small tab that blocks the Auto position. That way you can turn the dial to the auto position and the headlight switch will work. Plus you need to enable that on AlfaOBD.

#17 ·
Thank you Jamie for all of your info. My daughter has a 2015 Compass Sport. It doesn’t have an “Auto” setting on the headlight switch. Do we have to buy a new switch? Also, can you please list the entire procedure in order of what we have to do to make the headlights turn on and off automatically? Thank you.

#20 ·
Hello Jaime, I'm going to try to install the switch and the sensor because I have a Sport 2018 that doesn't have a sun sensor.. I bought it in aftermark. The question is: Where does it connect to the car? The connector is near the fuse box? Do you have any schematics or indication of where this connector goes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.