Mopar hitch receiver for 2019? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Recursive

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mopar hitch receiver for 2019?

I wanted to put the OEM hitch receiver on my 2019 latitude but the dealer is telling me that they don't make one. The only hitch available for 2019 is for the Trailhawk. There is a non Trailhawk one for 2018 but no one can tell me if it will fit 2019. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffwaite View Post
I wanted to put the OEM hitch receiver on my 2019 latitude but the dealer is telling me that they don't make one. The only hitch available for 2019 is for the Trailhawk. There is a non Trailhawk one for 2018 but no one can tell me if it will fit 2019. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
I believe that everything for the 18 fits the 19, obviously sub-model specific, but I know thats not very reassuring.

A possible solution would be to get a Reese type hitch. They are not as asthetically pleasing, but it is a possible solution.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/12174.html

Food for thought, this item bolt to the frame, like the MOPAR one, and covers all GEN II Compass's.

The part number for a Bumper Cover for a 19 Latitude is mpn4553124219, the part number for an 18 Latitude is a mpn4553124219, the same. This is from CARID.

So what this tells me is that the bumper covers are the same for 18 and 19's, so the covers with the hitch hole should be the same from MOPAR or whoever for 18 and 19. Also, the Reese type hitches for 18 and 19's are the same, so I would think that they are interchangeable as well, which applies to the MOPAR 'behind the bumper cover' hitch...

Summary: I would bet you that anything for a Latitude 18 will fit a 19.

Good luck.

-George
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, George. I looked at carid, but could not find the info. you quote anywhere; could you post a link to it please.

I also found that none of the Mopar sites seem to list the 2019 model as an option to search for parts, which seems odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Geoff,

To add to your confusion, for my 2018 Compass Latitude, with Safety and Security Group installed, I installed Mopar Receiver Kit 822146659, and needed Fascia 68352671AB - due to the sensor mounts for the Park Sense Rear Park Assist system. Per Mopar, I required W/O Trailhawk, W/O Accent, W/Hitch, W/Reverse Sensors. There are apparently seven different configurations. As you can see, there was confusion at the Jeep Parts Department as to the correct plastic fascia. It was confirmed with the dealer calling Star Tech. (FYI - Note there is a $100 core charge on the fascia.)

Last edited by Grayrider84; 02-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 AM

https://store.mopar.com/accessories/..._82214659.html

The only tow hitch for a 19 on the MOPAR official site is for a TH. Here is the link to the 18.
I would go to your dealer and ask what would be differet/ would it fit.

If a tow package is important to you, I would be fine with giving up my back up sensors because the new facial doesnt have it...
post #6 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Ive called my dealer, and mopar and - believe it or not - neither of them are able to say whether the 2018 non Trailhawk model that you linked to will fit 2019. I think one of the problems is that Mopar haven't released the 2019 parts list to the dealers yet. I'm becoming increasingly confident that it will fit but the only way to find out is to actually buy one and try it. This is why I asked at The Forum in case anyone has already done that. Anyone?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 PM

I'm pretty certain it will fit fine, and I am suspicious that they either
a) Know it would fit but are trying to deter you, because they don't want to do it (not a money making venture for them)
or
b) They are straight up incompetent, in which case maybe finding a different dealer to work with would be better.

We've talked a lot about the factory trailer/tow package in other threads, and it always comes down to "this is why you have to buy one that has everything you want from the get-go". Adding ANYTHING after purchase is somehow so much more difficult than it ought to be. Just throwing that 2 cents out there in case some potential buyer stumbles across this thread pre-purchase.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrider84 View Post
Geoff,

To add to your confusion, for my 2018 Compass Latitude, with Safety and Security Group installed, I installed Mopar Receiver Kit 822146659, and needed Fascia 68352671AB - due to the sensor mounts for the Park Sense Rear Park Assist system. Per Mopar, I required W/O Trailhawk, W/O Accent, W/Hitch, W/Reverse Sensors. There are apparently seven different configurations. As you can see, there was confusion at the Jeep Parts Department as to the correct plastic fascia. It was confirmed with the dealer calling Star Tech. (FYI - Note there is a $100 core charge on the fascia.)
It still kills me that there is a core charge.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 PM

The 2019 model is so new that there aren't any OEM hitch receiver options at the moment. https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/ gets updates once a month I believe if you want to keep checking to see when an OEM Jeep hitch receiver will be available. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Adding ANYTHING after purchase is somehow so much more difficult than it ought to be. Just throwing that 2 cents out there in case some potential buyer stumbles across this thread pre-purchase.
I totally agree. However, I could not get a manual latitude with factory tow package for love nor money - I don't think they really build any; in fact one dealer said that Jeep will only factory install the tow package on the trailhawk. Makes me wonder why they even bother listing it as an option, but hey-ho. I'm certainly learning a lot about Jeep and fast!
post #11 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffwaite
one dealer said that Jeep will only factory install the tow package on the trailhawk.
Don't let the dealer turn you into their butt-monkey like that! You know nonsense when you hear it. Tons of us got the factory tow package right out of the gate without asking for it, it was already on our Limited trim model when we bought it. You can go to the jeep website and build a 2018 or 2019 Latitude 4x4 with manual transmission and tow package in about 10 seconds very easily: Your dream Jeep

Your dealer just doesn't want to order in a vehicle with the options you want, it sounds like, and they don't want to install the package because its a huge pain for them and they won't make any money on it whatsoever. Put some pressure on them! Most of the time the dealer has way more options for ordering than what Jeep's website offers, so if the website offers to build a 4x4 manual latitude with tow the dealer should definitely be able to order it, but probably they just don't want to and are trying to act dumb. Either that or the ARE dumb, either way I'd be looking for a new dealership.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM

---EDIT--- Nevermind this post, Jeep called them "Partial Matches" did not see any with the tow group in the first three, so redacting this post.

Last edited by arudlang; 02-08-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrider84 View Post
Geoff,

Yep. I just did this upgrade on my Latitude. I needed the same fascia as you, and it took the parts guy nearly half an hour to confirm the correct part number for my Compass (which would have been okay if I hadn't already done the research and walked in with the same number, but they refused to order it without verifying it for themselves first).

On a related note, if anyone else is considering this update, I strongly recommend looking at an aftermarket or custom wiring harness rather than installing the Jeep factory harness (82214670AB). The factory harness is powered through the engine compartment fusebox, and installation requires you to disassemble half the interior panels, remove the back seat, remove the windshield wiper assembly and cowling, and VERY CAREFULLY snake a HUGE electrical connector through the firewall grommet alongside about 100 tiny little wires that look like they'll break if you breathe on them wrong. You also have to take a grinder or file to part of the fusebox, making it a bit less waterproof (a problem I solved with a healthy glob of permatex). Installing the hitch and fascia took me a couple hours. Installing the wiring took me a full day.

The aftermarket harnesses from companies like Curt are much easier to install and can directly tap the fusebox under the dash. Routing the wires through the cabin will still be a chore, but you'll get to skip the worst part of the job and will be far less likely to make an expensive mistake.
arudlang likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursive View Post
The aftermarket harnesses from companies like Curt are much easier to install and can directly tap the fusebox under the dash. Routing the wires through the cabin will still be a chore, but you'll get to skip the worst part of the job and will be far less likely to make an expensive mistake.
Is it possible to tap into the fusebox underneath the storage bin in the left rear?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in