People who expereince oil loss, check your oil filter. It might get loose on its own. - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

People who expereince oil loss, check your oil filter. It might get loose on its own.

Today I realized drops of oil under my car. While checking the source I realized it is coming down over the oil filter. And guess what, filter was loose! Like considerably loose, it was able to turn it maybe 3/4 of a full turn. I am sure the dealer who change the oil 4-5 months ago wasn't stupid enough to not tighten, so it must have gotten loose on its own, maybe from vibrations or maybe from cooling-heating cycles.

I wasn't experiencing large amount of oil loss, I lost maybe 0.25qt in 2000 miles. But now I know where the oil was going, it wasn't burning, it was slowly leaking from the loose oil filter.

If you are experiencing oil loss, make sure you check that. Also let me know if yours is also loose, if that is the case we might now what is the source of mysterious oil loss.

Last edited by Tripod; 02-08-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Mine has never been loose, and I always know because I do one oil change halfway between the dealer scheduled ones so I am always removing their filter (so I can confirm they put it on tight enough and the filter is dry), and then I put on my own filter (and obviously I am near-infallible and always put the filter on tight enough)
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Mine has never been loose, and I always know because I do one oil change halfway between the dealer scheduled ones so I am always removing their filter (so I can confirm they put it on tight enough and the filter is dry), and then I put on my own filter (and obviously I am near-infallible and always put the filter on tight enough)
Yeah I am surprised about haw the filter got loose as well. the only think I can think of is ambient temperature. My oil was changed in August, ambient temperatures were around 90F, yesterday it was 3F. Maybe it got loose due to thermal expansion/contraction. I cant think it was loose from the start because I assume it would have drained the oil in 6 months, but I only lost at best 0.25qts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Hmm, I'll check mine. Still, I've not seen any spots under where I park. But I'll give it a check in the morning.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Well maybe it is not something that rare;

https://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...il-filter.html

Seems people had the same issue with 2.4 renegade. I advise everyone to check their oil filters.
arudlang likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in