Engine Start/Stop - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Engine Start/Stop

I have a brand new (one week old) 2019 Compass Trailhawk. I’m having trouble with remote start and regular start/stop. First, I tried remote start using the uconnect app, and instead of starting the jeep, all the security alarms went off. Next, after trying it with the fob, the car warmed up but it wouldn’t let me start the engine until the 15 minute cycle was up. A couple days later, I tried remote start again, with the fob, and it warmed up, but after 15 minutes the alarms all went off. And then today — without touching the remote start — I went out to my car, pressed the engine start (on the dash), and the jeep wouldn’t start, but rather went into the “on” mode and warmed up for 15 minutes — it wouldn’t let me turn it off, or start the car, or shift gears, or anything. I tried locking, unlocking, getting out, using the fob, using the dash button, etc. After 15 minutes, I was able to start the engine.

I have an appt at the dealer tomorrow, but the mechanic on the phone with me today made it sound like I was crazy (and, that I didn’t know how to start a car). I don’t think this is me. Any ideas?

Oh, and the sunroof buttons aren’t always working either. Might that be related?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 12:57 PM

This ESS system is a nightmare, I've had similar issues on my 18 with only 4k on it. They changed so many parts and 11 hours total of me sitting in the waiting room and the problem still exists. I'm disgusted. In my state if they can't fix an issue in 3 visits the car in considered a lemon. I'm getting close to going that route.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Sounds like your electrical is all effed up.

Not to insult your intelligence but you didn't say so just to check quick, you do know you have to press the brake and then the start button to start it right? I'm sure you do know that, by the sounds of it the electronics are just all kinds of screwed up but doesn't hurt to ask just to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I do know to press the brake when starting my engine — and, the Compass dash display reminds me! But, thanks for checking — I would have felt pretty stupid if that was the only thing “wrong”.

So far, they’ve discovered a defective door latch, which explains the security alarm problems and the remote start failures (because the Jeep always thinks it is unlocked, even if it isn’t), and they’ve ordered me a replacement part. The service departement at my dealership thinks the other start/stop problems (including not being able to start the engine when it is warming up) might be a flash/software issue, which they described as a “known issue” that doesn’t have a fix yet. They’re hoping it won’t happen again ... and so am I.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Toy

I saw a TSB 08-160-18 a few days ago, which tells, the hood switches may cause ESS problems. They have a modified hood switch available now, which replaces the old one. Maybe this will help.

Compass Limited CRD, MY18, Pearl White, Leather Black, uConnect 8.4Nav & Beats Audio

——————————-
German Jeep Forum for new Jeeps from MY14 and up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 PM

+1 on the door switch flash.... got the “service start stop” error and dealer flashed the software and tested the door switch for accurate actuation. It was done last week so will see if it works long term.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Oh my god I hate the ESS! The first day I had it, it would cut off and restart smoothly. But since then it shudders the car and acts more like it stalled instead! This is so annoying and embarrassing! It also does not restart quickly either! I try to remember to turn it off when I start the car, but I dont always remember until I get to a stop light or stop sign a shudder goes thru the car and it feels like it stalled. There ought to be a way to deactivate this permanently that does not result in an idiot light being on, on the dash. I hate it!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
too many electic doodads just mess up a car

i really want a model without all this stuff

2018 Compass Latitude
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Or a car company that doesn't rush out software for a vehicle and "fix" it on the fly. I have never seen a car that you can only autostart 2 times before the autostart disables itself. When we had negative temperatures here, the car was never warm when I got into it.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in