2018 Jeep Compass - ODBII apps / Auto close windows & sunroof - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Compass - ODBII apps / Auto close windows & sunroof

Hi,

I am an owner of a 2018 Compass Limited. I am not sure if this is 2nd gen, so if this is the correct forum or not. please let me know if I'm doing wrong.

I really hate to forget open windows or sunroof when I leave the car.
So I am looking for a way to solve this issue.
I saw a module at Aliexpress here:

www aliexpress com item/Liislee-For-Jeep-compass-Auto-window-close-mirror-fold-sunroof-close-speed-lock-12V-power-window/32950093407.html?tt=sns_none&fbclid=IwAR2eimsLVYWJ 4BPy_GN6MFnhvNWjOhN8mrvzCK-spMBmp_zs4ms3rg68Pjs&aff_platform=default&cpt=1552 824009784&sk=YUQlyPe&aff_trace_key=7eafbce237044bd d8cbddf07ed203e81-1552824009784-01732-YUQlyPe&terminal_id=b975957c8b22497c853be2f00cc33e 3a

It claims to do the thing but when I contacted the seller, they told me that it does not work with 2018 Compass.
Now I wonder, is there a working module for 2018 compass ?
Some other brands have such solutions through ODBII interface.
is there a software or hardware solution to this ?

Also, is there any good ODBII apps (Android) that I should try with my standard ODBII module (ELM327) ?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrmrmr View Post
Hi,

I am an owner of a 2018 Compass Limited. I am not sure if this is 2nd gen, so if this is the correct forum or not. please let me know if I'm doing wrong.

I really hate to forget open windows or sunroof when I leave the car.
So I am looking for a way to solve this issue.
I saw a module at Aliexpress here:

www aliexpress com item/Liislee-For-Jeep-compass-Auto-window-close-mirror-fold-sunroof-close-speed-lock-12V-power-window/32950093407.html?tt=sns_none&fbclid=IwAR2eimsLVYWJ 4BPy_GN6MFnhvNWjOhN8mrvzCK-spMBmp_zs4ms3rg68Pjs&aff_platform=default&cpt=1552 824009784&sk=YUQlyPe&aff_trace_key=7eafbce237044bd d8cbddf07ed203e81-1552824009784-01732-YUQlyPe&terminal_id=b975957c8b22497c853be2f00cc33e 3a

It claims to do the thing but when I contacted the seller, they told me that it does not work with 2018 Compass.
Now I wonder, is there a working module for 2018 compass ?
Some other brands have such solutions through ODBII interface.
is there a software or hardware solution to this ?

Also, is there any good ODBII apps (Android) that I should try with my standard ODBII module (ELM327) ?

thanks.
FCA uses a security gateway module that prevents ODB2 devices from accessing many of the car's functions. This is a security change to prevent the car from being hacked remotely. You can install a bypass that will allow ODB2 devices to access most of the car's electronics, but it isn't going to work without the bypass. Direct, unsecured access to the car's electronics is exactly what the gateway module was designed to prevent.

I'd suggest that you contact the seller back and ask whether the auto-closer will work if the gateway module is bypassed. It's possible that they may not make a version for the Gen 2 Compass, simply because most people aren't going to want to install the bypass AND the add-on closer. If it will work without the module, you can pick up a bypass for $50-$75
post #3 of 23 Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursive View Post
FCA uses a security gateway module that prevents ODB2 devices from accessing many of the car's functions. This is a security change to prevent the car from being hacked remotely. You can install a bypass that will allow ODB2 devices to access most of the car's electronics, but it isn't going to work without the bypass. Direct, unsecured access to the car's electronics is exactly what the gateway module was designed to prevent.

I'd suggest that you contact the seller back and ask whether the auto-closer will work if the gateway module is bypassed. It's possible that they may not make a version for the Gen 2 Compass, simply because most people aren't going to want to install the bypass AND the add-on closer. If it will work without the module, you can pick up a bypass for $50-$75
but you didn't get me.
There is already a non-ODBII solution which requires installation of a module. The link I shared above is for that solution.
So it is not a ODBII based solution.

What I'm asking is, since the seller says this is not working with 2018 model, what else can I do ?
or would it work with 2018 model ?

also, is there a URL that you could share for the bypass solution you mentioned ?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
but you didn't get me.
There is already a non-ODBII solution which requires installation of a module. The link I shared above is for that solution.

What I'm asking is, since the seller says this is not working with 2018 model, what else can I do ?

also, is there a URL that you could share for the bypass solution you mentioned ?

thanks.
I loaded the link and their product looks like it does a MITM simulated button press. If they say it doesn't work with a 2018, my guess would be that it's designed for the Gen 1 Compass, which is a totally different vehicle. The plugs and wiring are going to be completely different. Unfortunatly, I haven't seen any products that do this sort of thing, so I can't offer any alternatives.

As for the security gateway bypass module; I don't own one, but several other posters here do. I'll leave it to them to recommend a good one.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
but you didn't get me.

thanks.
Anything sending commands through the cars computer will not work with the security module. Doesnt mater if it has its own module or not, if it needs to connect to the computer to work (which it needs to unless you directly wire each window and sunroof to the module itself), it will not work.

There is an alfoOBD thread that talks about the bypass module and reprogramming of car settings.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recursive View Post
I loaded the link and their product looks like it does a MITM simulated button press. If they say it doesn't work with a 2018, my guess would be that it's designed for the Gen 1 Compass, which is a totally different vehicle. The plugs and wiring are going to be completely different. Unfortunatly, I haven't seen any products that do this sort of thing, so I can't offer any alternatives.

As for the security gateway bypass module; I don't own one, but several other posters here do. I'll leave it to them to recommend a good one.
Actually , seller did not say "it won't work with 2018". What they exactly say is that they did not have a chance to test with 2018 but they always worked with model year before 2018.
So I understand that it works with 2017 but not tested with 2018.
If that is the case, then it should work ?

in any case , they sent me the installation photos (attached)
maybe I can check if the cables I have there are same or not ?
1.jpg2.jpg
post #7 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Also, not all 2018 compasses have the security module. My 2018 doesn't need a bypass. I can and have modified the BCM with alfaobd and no bypass.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
Also, not all 2018 compasses have the security module. My 2018 doesn't need a bypass. I can and have modified the BCM with alfaobd and no bypass.
maybe I should try that.
what is BCM ? and how did you modify it ?
post #9 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Body Control Module.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #10 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM

I'll also note that I'm annoyed that you can't close the sunroof once the ignition is switched off, like you can with the windows. However, I've already looked for such a setting in the body computer with alfaobd and didn't find anything promising. So if someone finds something that offers that ability, I'd be interested.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

how can I understand if my Compass does not have the need for bypass module without purchasing the 49$ software (Alfaodb) ?
post #12 of 23 Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
how can I understand if my Compass does not have the need for bypass module without purchasing the 49$ software (Alfaodb) ?
you can try to connect with the demo version. It's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...BD.AlfaOBDDemo
post #13 of 23 Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
you can try to connect with the demo version. It's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...BD.AlfaOBDDemo
I just tried it. When connecting to BCM it asks for a security login code.
I entered 00000 and it connected. (although it said code is incorrect)
it also supplided info on the unit ID.
But all functions are locked because of the demo.

Now I am not sure ;
do I need the security code ?
is it public information ?
is it related to the security gateway mentioned here ?
do I need the bypass ?
if yes, how can I get it ? and if I get it, shall I be able to configure windows & sunroof to close when I lock the car ?
post #14 of 23 Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM

You only need a security code for some modifications. Just hit the connect button. If you have a code, you use the "login with codecard". Code would come from the dealer.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-25-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You only need a security code for some modifications. Just hit the connect button. If you have a code, you use the "login with codecard". Code would come from the dealer.
so. how do I understand if my car has the security gateway ?
can we say that "it does not have security gateway" if it can connect ?
if the answer is "yes", then it means code is nothing to do with the security gateway ?

in this case, how can I make my car close the windows or sunroof when I lock the doors ?
post #16 of 23 Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 PM

If you can connect to the body computer and dump out the settings, then you don't have a security gateway.

Correct, the code has nothing to do with the security gateway. So for example you might need a code to write a new value to the odometer, even though you can connect to the ICS module.

Nobody has figured that out yet (if it is even possible). I've looked though the car configuration options in alfaobd and haven't seen anything that will auto close the sunroof. So if you can find a setting, we'd like to know.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-25-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you can connect to the body computer and dump out the settings, then you don't have a security gateway.

Correct, the code has nothing to do with the security gateway. So for example you might need a code to write a new value to the odometer, even though you can connect to the ICS module.

Nobody has figured that out yet (if it is even possible). I've looked though the car configuration options in alfaobd and haven't seen anything that will auto close the sunroof. So if you can find a setting, we'd like to know.
from some answers in this thread I got the wrong perception that if my car does not have security gateway, I would be able to do this kind of modification through ODB using the Alfaobd software.
If it is not possible , then why did people redirect me to this direction ?

is there anything useful that I can do with Alfaobd now ? (if yes, I will pay for the paid version)

and , which hardware method can I use to achieve my goal ? (if it is even possible)

seller of this item gives supplies non-trustable answers:

Liislee For Jeep compass Auto window close+mirror fold+sunroof close+speed lock 12V power window kit Auto sunroof close -in Intelligent Window Coser from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group 4BPy_GN6MFnhvNWjOhN8mrvzCK-spMBmp_zs4ms3rg68Pjs&aff_platform=default&cpt=1552 824009784&sk=YUQlyPe&aff_trace_key=7eafbce237044bd d8cbddf07ed203e81-1552824009784-01732-YUQlyPe&terminal_id=b975957c8b22497c853be2f00cc33e 3a
post #18 of 23 Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
If it is not possible , then why did people redirect me to this direction ?

Because it is up to you to decide if it is doable or not. We are not here to offer free tech support for alfaobd. You can email alfaobd's developer to get their take on what you are trying to do.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-26-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Because it is up to you to decide if it is doable or not. We are not here to offer free tech support for alfaobd. You can email alfaobd's developer to get their take on what you are trying to do.
@Tripod, I am not looking for tech support of alfaobd. If you check my first post (OP), you'll see that I did not even ask anything about Alfaobd.
Alfaobd is proposed here as if it is a solution. BUT it is an expensive software (49$) so I can't try anything without paying. Besides, in the selections there is nothing related to auto-closing windows/sunroof. So there's no point of suggesting it.

if we can come back to the original post, I am looking for a method (hardware/software anything) to auto close windows & sunroof when doors are locked.
I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest something useful.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Garage

Visit another Compass site.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Visit another Compass site.
do you know any other ?
post #22 of 23 Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
@Tripod, I am not looking for tech support of alfaobd. If you check my first post (OP), you'll see that I did not even ask anything about Alfaobd.
Alfaobd is proposed here as if it is a solution. BUT it is an expensive software (49$) so I can't try anything without paying. Besides, in the selections there is nothing related to auto-closing windows/sunroof. So there's no point of suggesting it.

if we can come back to the original post, I am looking for a method (hardware/software anything) to auto close windows & sunroof when doors are locked.
Honestly, your best bet might be to find someone who can do some custom electronics work and have them put together an Arduino solution for you. Most established, custom car audio shops can recommend EE's capable of putting something like that together. I don't think an off-the-shelf solution exists to do this yet, for this particular model.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
do you know any other ?

Theres /r/jeepcompass on Reddit, but it's not particularly active. Honestly, something like /r/AutoDIY or /r/CarTalk on Reddit might be a better solution. You're probably not going to find anything specific to the Compass, but they might be able to point you to a general purpose solution that will accomplish the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in