Helping answer the tire question - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick Navratil
  • 1 Post By Nick Navratil
  • 1 Post By Recursive
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Helping answer the tire question

Hey everyone! I finally threw some all terrain tires on my new compass. A guy got a set of tires in and told me to come see if they fit. They're 225/75r16 Ironman all country all terrains and I couldn't be happier. They look incredible. No rubbing. There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub. And it lifted my compass a good inch! Huge difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190324_112334_1553452116455.jpg (61.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20190324_141233_1553452146561.jpg (74.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20190324_130401_1553452178305.jpg (92.0 KB, 84 views)
84z28 likes this.
Nick Navratil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 193
 
Garage
Looks Great!
Never would have guessed that a 29" tire would fit, without some modifications.

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery
WisHawk is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 786
 
Quote:
There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub.
I call bull****. Picture of the front strut where it meets the tire, please and thank you. Also what is the offset of those rims.
arudlang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Kathryn Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Navratil View Post
Hey everyone! I finally threw some all terrain tires on my new compass. A guy got a set of tires in and told me to come see if they fit. They're 225/75r16 Ironman all country all terrains and I couldn't be happier. They look incredible. No rubbing. There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub. And it lifted my compass a good inch! Huge difference.
Did you plasti or powder dip your wheels? they look like stock jeep wheels or are they after market?
Kathryn Adam is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.
Posts: 702
 
I only wonder about those rears if you hit some severe bumps or get to rocking. The front edge of the rear fender well looks mighty close. As you can see, the axle isn't centered in the well -- just a fluke in their engineering.

Anybody know if Renegades are that way too, or was FCA just trying to get a slightly larger body on the same platform?
Jasmine is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Quote:
There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub.
I call bull****. Picture of the front strut where it meets the tire, please and thank you. Also what is the offset of those rims.
The front is no where close to rubbing. Only part close is the rear tire inside front there's about 2" of space. I drove around hit some bumps and hills hard not even a mark on the inside fender. Didn't rub once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190324_095737_1553487646679.jpg (68.5 KB, 54 views)
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Navratil View Post
Hey everyone! I finally threw some all terrain tires on my new compass. A guy got a set of tires in and told me to come see if they fit. They're 225/75r16 Ironman all country all terrains and I couldn't be happier. They look incredible. No rubbing. There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub. And it lifted my compass a good inch! Huge difference.
Did you plasti or powder dip your wheels? they look like stock jeep wheels or are they after market?
It's Plasti dip and glossifier coating. I've done it a ton and got the technique down pretty well. Comes out smooth to the touch and shiny!
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Kathryn Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Navratil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Navratil View Post
Hey everyone! I finally threw some all terrain tires on my new compass. A guy got a set of tires in and told me to come see if they fit. They're 225/75r16 Ironman all country all terrains and I couldn't be happier. They look incredible. No rubbing. There is a good inch and a half at the closest part that would rub. And it lifted my compass a good inch! Huge difference.
Did you plasti or powder dip your wheels? they look like stock jeep wheels or are they after market?
It's Plasti dip and glossifier coating. I've done it a ton and got the technique down pretty well. Comes out smooth to the touch and shiny!
Awesome it looks so good! I hate the bits of silver on the stock rims 😫
Kathryn Adam is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Member
 
partyflipflop@aol.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 75
 
Interesting.

So your tire is a 29.3X8.9R16 once converted. I didnt think it would fit.

I have the Trailhawk with an aftermarket 1 3/4 lift and I was looking at a 235/6R17 (29X9.3R17) and am pretty confident that without wheel spacers the front will rub the bottomm of the strut spring mount. Also, without the lift, I would have thought the front of the rear wheel well would not support that size.... I am also running stock rims before we get into the offset discussion and have no intentions of buying new wheels. I actually think the stock wheels look fine and match the color scheme of the vehicle.

But I dont know.... your Jeep looks great though.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 786
 
Look at my pictures of how little clearance there is for the stock tires on this discussion about tire chains we had a while back.

I know the trailhawks have a little more room to work with but it seems they must have even more than I thought. Those pictures like I took of mine are what I want to see with your new tires, to understand how it can work.

Never heard of Ironman tires, maybe they run super small...
arudlang is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Adam View Post
Awesome it looks so good! I hate the bits of silver on the stock rims 😫
Thanks so much! Highly recommend. Cheap, easy, huge difference. 12 coats of black 3 coats of glossifier on top.
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Interesting.

So your tire is a 29.3X8.9R16 once converted. I didnt think it would fit.

I have the Trailhawk with an aftermarket 1 3/4 lift and I was looking at a 235/6R17 (29X9.3R17) and am pretty confident that without wheel spacers the front will rub the bottomm of the strut spring mount. Also, without the lift, I would have thought the front of the rear wheel well would not support that size.... I am also running stock rims before we get into the offset discussion and have no intentions of buying new wheels. I actually think the stock wheels look fine and match the color scheme of the vehicle.

But I dont know.... your Jeep looks great though.

Thanks a ton! I honestly didn't think it would fit either. He said come in and we will throw one on and see if it works. The front tire has about an inch from the struts, back tires have about an inch and a half from the wheel well on the inside where its closest.
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Look at my pictures of how little clearance there is for the stock tires on this discussion about tire chains we had a while back.

I know the trailhawks have a little more room to work with but it seems they must have even more than I thought. Those pictures like I took of mine are what I want to see with your new tires, to understand how it can work.

Never heard of Ironman tires, maybe they run super small...
They're 29.3" Ironman is an affiliate with Cooper tires. I believe the width is almost more important than the diameter. I feel like if they were any wider they'd rub. 8.9" width 29.3" diameter and I literally haven't touched a thing in my wheel well driving around in 3 days.
arudlang likes this.
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 12
 
Here's a finger test haha. Front tire was turned in and on a slight incline. Probably much more space flat and straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_111756_1553613625511.jpg (36.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20190326_111727_1553613643728.jpg (34.1 KB, 34 views)
Nick Navratil is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 30
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Navratil View Post
Here's a finger test haha. Front tire was turned in and on a slight incline. Probably much more space flat and straight.
That's gonna be a bit tight when things get muddy.
arudlang likes this.
Recursive is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TIRE QUESTION 2016 2.0 cvt amayer313 Wheels and Tires Discussion 4 03-22-2018 02:33 AM
2014 Jeep Compass Latitude low tire pressure light problem Diane Kathriner Schultz Repairs - Electrical problems and questions 4 11-05-2017 01:52 PM
General Tire Tread Question lucy2423 Wheels and Tires Discussion 1 06-19-2012 11:12 PM
tire pressure monitor question bbakken82 Jeep Compass General Discussion 3 12-06-2011 07:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome