• 1 Post By dragani328
  • 1 Post By 84z28
  • 1 Post By Jasmine
  • 2 Post By PR325xi

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

CAI install

Howdy folks,

New here and new to the Jeep Compass MP fam as of 4/5/19 and 1400 miles later; long story but let's just say my dedication to joining this fine group by owning a trailhawk is unmatched by some. This forum has provided incredible insight to many questions and topics on the 2017.5+ Compass. Big shout out to all of you and thank you.

Wasted no time in making mine my own - starting with the CAI install. Only took about an hour. I know many have gone with the K&N part #77-1565KS. I went with the AEM part #21-769C. Sharing here to further inspire others wishing to unlock a bit more out of the infamous Tigershark 2.4L.

See before and after photos for reference. If any are interested I can upload actual footage of sound.

I have the Masterflow catback exhaust as well just haven't installed it yet. Will gladly share reference photos and sound vids when possible.

BTW - regarding MPG as some threads have touched base on - today I averaged 34 mpg over a 28 mile trip. There is definitely a technique to achieving this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190405_152939.jpg (75.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20190405_165846.jpg (84.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20190405_170823.jpg (75.6 KB, 46 views)
lundy and Christato71 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-09-2019, 02:25 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome! Hope you still love your Compass after 100,000 miles.
dragani328 likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-09-2019, 03:18 AM

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragani328
If any are interested I can upload actual footage of sound.
Of course we are interested! =D Always curious to know what the options are. Most of the time they are too noisy for me anymore though, apparently I'm too old for that kinda of fun but that doesn't mean its not fun to see others playing around. I just don't want to make it any more obvious how hard I have to flog the ole kittenfish (credit/TM @Jasmine) engine to keep up with the minivan next to me from a stoplight xD
dragani328 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Definitely do some before/after of the CAI and the exhaust. Also, what are your impressions of it? I'd like to bring every last HP out of this thing. Which exhaust did you go with, and why?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Christato71 and dragani328 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #5 of 25 Old 04-10-2019, 06:33 PM

i have the KNN and is insanely loud after 3.5 - 4k RPM especially if its uphill, any way to quiet it down? lol
dragani328 likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
Watch out, You might hit 190hp with an air filter and cat back
dragani328 likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

@arudlang lol flog the ole kittenfish (credit/TM @Jasmine) that's very good. Yes there is indeed truth to all of the many underdog statements regarding this jeeps performance, or lack there of. I suppose we all accepted that tid bit upon purchasing our jeeps, alas, I'll at least do what I can to pull a few extra horses out of it for fun. The CAI is louder for sure when the throttle opens full, and yet still noticeable when gradually cruising around. It's a good loud though imo; deep and healthy. Stock however the jeep was just as much fun to drive for what its worth.
arudlang likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR325xi View Post
i have the KNN and is insanely loud after 3.5 - 4k RPM especially if its uphill, any way to quiet it down? lol
Going back to stock likely you're only realistic option to quite down, otherwise the CAI route is expected to have the increased decimal output per throttle response.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Right! Which would negate the need for a 5-point harness too
post #10 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRacer View Post
Definitely do some before/after of the CAI and the exhaust. Also, what are your impressions of it? I'd like to bring every last HP out of this thing. Which exhaust did you go with, and why?

I'll have the vid for the CAI this weekend. My impression is that with the CAI alone as I have installed on my jeep at the current moment, is about what I expected increased torque/HP wise and actually way louder with full throttle than what I expected. The performance increase is noticeable yet not major. First spin taking it out after the install and opening it up literally put a smile on my face when I heard it; the AEM like the K&N is an incredible product. Again though my intention was never to make these changes and then utilize the automatic transmission to enjoy the subtle gains, nay sir. Rather, switching to the manual option to get the true enjoyment.

The best gain is found when using the manual shift option and ideally within 3rd and 4th gears. 2nd gear winds out too quick and 5th on up needs a better exhaust and header switch out to have a solid opinion about it.

I went with the Magnaflow Catback exhaust (#19324) meant for the 2015+ Jeep Renegade Trailhawk simply due to knowing for sure it would work with a slight mod, thanks to member dawm who posted here on this forum their successes with it. Search Magnaflow Catback exhaust DOES FIT to find their thread (I haven't posted enough so can't tie a link here yet).

imo it's an affordable exhaust as well if you know where to get the right deal. Most sites will allow for a 10%-20% "new/welcome" code which is what I used and instantly saved $120 + free shipping = SOLD!
dawm likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragani328 View Post
Going back to stock likely you're only realistic option to quite down, otherwise the CAI route is expected to have the increased decimal output per throttle response.

I like how it sounds, I don’t think I’ll revert back tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dragani328 likes this.

Last edited by PR325xi; 07-30-2019 at 07:39 PM.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Garage
im gonna be that guy

the type of cai you have shown still pulls hot air from the engine bay
you need to get out of the engine bay to truly get cold air
cat backs are still flow limited by whats between them and the engine

also, as for feeling it? i think its just the sound, and the increase in throttle you gave it

put it on a dyno, if you got 5hp increase it would be amazing

but as long as your happy
84z28, Jasmine and dragani328 like this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #13 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
im gonna be that guy

the type of cai you have shown still pulls hot air from the engine bay

you need to get out of the engine bay to truly get cold air

cat backs are still flow limited by whats between them and the engine

also, as for feeling it? i think its just the sound, and the increase in throttle you gave it

put it on a dyno, if you got 5hp increase it would be amazing

but as long as your happy
Looks like the CAI has some isolation to me. I'd have to look in my engine bay to say for sure, but you can see the rubber lined barrier to block it off from the rest of the engine bay once the hood is closed. As for the cat-back, I agree that it isn't a huge change. It's mostly for sound. If you want a real performance gain, header back needs to be upgraded.

With that said: does anyone know what the header ID is? And what about the rest of the factory exhaust?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #14 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 01:08 AM

Garage
Sounds like a jap car

Quote:
I like how it sounds, I donít think Iíll revert back tho

https://youtu.be/2fBzrqF7VrE

post #15 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Well I was on the fence but @mdram4x4 started it, so I will chip in that I agree intakes and exhausts don't actually make any more power on a modern 4 cylinder car and I assert that they are not even intended to do so, secretly its all about causing the vehicle to make more aggressive noises with more volume to get the driver/owner excited, which tends to throw off the ole' butt-dyno.

They are still fun things to do that grow the attachment between owner and car, but there are going to be no actual measurable power gains. They are already squeezing every last drop out of these modern engines. Decades ago these things actually made a difference especially as emissions laws ramped up and existing motors got neutered with restrictive intakes and exhausts around the 70s. These days teams of engineers do not spend thousands of hours designing and testing an engine and then leave 5 or any percent of its full-potential horsepower or economy on the table for want of a 1/4" bigger tube and walk away.

Truth be told, often people swap out intakes or exhaust and end up loosing power because they've done screwed up the engineers' hard work. This tends to be more an issue with cheap aftermarket stuff though, K&N and AEM make shiny tubes that at best perform the same as stock while adding the cool vacuum cleaner noise to your ensemble.

We shouldn't piss too much on the parade though its still a fun thing to do and that's really what its about.
Jasmine likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Exactly, Fun. If I want to go any faster, I jump in my camaro or my turbo del sol

post #17 of 25 Old 04-14-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Exactly, Fun. If I want to go any faster, I jump in my camaro or my turbo del sol

Agreed; may bygones be bygones and to each their own.
PR325xi likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-14-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

For those that were interested in a vid, here ya go:

Christato71 likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Thats the farthest thing from the truth or the aftermarket performance industry would be dead. Any car truck or suv that rolls off the assembly line isnt setup for it full potential. You have 2 sides of the coin, "fuel economy" vs "performance" one doesnt go hand in hand with the other. When you can throw something as simple as a new tune to your ecm and pickup uo to 100hp in some cases, thats proof enough the car isnt to its full potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Well I was on the fence but @mdram4x4 started it, so I will chip in that I agree intakes and exhausts don't actually make any more power on a modern 4 cylinder car and I assert that they are not even intended to do so, secretly its all about causing the vehicle to make more aggressive noises with more volume to get the driver/owner excited, which tends to throw off the ole' butt-dyno.

They are still fun things to do that grow the attachment between owner and car, but there are going to be no actual measurable power gains. They are already squeezing every last drop out of these modern engines. Decades ago these things actually made a difference especially as emissions laws ramped up and existing motors got neutered with restrictive intakes and exhausts around the 70s. These days teams of engineers do not spend thousands of hours designing and testing an engine and then leave 5 or any percent of its full-potential horsepower or economy on the table for want of a 1/4" bigger tube and walk away.

Truth be told, often people swap out intakes or exhaust and end up loosing power because they've done screwed up the engineers' hard work
. This tends to be more an issue with cheap aftermarket stuff though, K&N and AEM make shiny tubes that at best perform the same as stock while adding the cool vacuum cleaner noise to your ensemble.

We shouldn't piss too much on the parade though its still a fun thing to do and that's really what its about.
Christato71 likes this.

Last edited by 84z28; 04-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Case and point among the other millions of articles in the interwebs

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...-ford-mustang/
post #21 of 25 Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Case and point among the other millions of articles in the interwebs

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...-ford-mustang/
so your comparing a cai, and cat back to an intercooler and more psi for boost?

totally different animals

2018 Compass Latitude
post #22 of 25 Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
I never said that or compared that in any post, that post was in relation to my post to arudlang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
so your comparing a cai, and cat back to an intercooler and more psi for boost?

totally different animals
post #23 of 25 Old 04-16-2019, 02:55 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

The ECM compensates for most mods.

These tiny engines are putting out more than what a six would have years ago. I once had a Ford with a 2.4 (144CID) engine and, while loveable, it was a turtle. Our 2.4 Tigershark (Kittenfish) engines are putting out more than double what that Ford did.

The Tigershark is already over 1HP/CID. Even NASCAR is only running 2hp/CID.

What usually happens is after installing the gizmo the owner drives it harder than before "to see what it will do" and sure enough, its putting out more because more was demanded of it.

As above, FCA has a room full of engineers working on extracting every bit of power out of these tiny engines. The aftermarket industry thrives on the same sort of people P.T.Barnum thrived on.

Best thing you can do is reset the ECM, then drive it hard for the next hundred miles. It will learn your style and give you higher shift points. Higher RPMs will give you more than a pile of gizmos.

But cars are fun to play with. Old cars were more fun because there was more we could do with them. Newer cars are already maxed out. We can still get a better sounding growl by playing with the exhaust but too much of that can affect valves. Actually, from inside under moderate acceleration I think the Compass has about as good a sound as I've heard from anything other than a V8, though my old Grand Prix with the V6 sounded a little throaty.
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 04-16-2019 at 03:03 AM.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Lmfao.....

post #25 of 25 Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 PM

I just know Iím having fun with my little Jeep

84z28 and arudlang like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in