Android Auto problems - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeexplorer
  • 2 Post By moira2

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Android Auto problems

I have an issue with the Uconnect 4 and Android Auto. I already have the app installed and working because I have the feature in my Chevy Tahoe. On the Jeep, Android auto seems to only work once a day, if that sounds weird. If I use it, then disconnect from it (say stop to go to the store or something) then re-connect it, it launches on my phone but never shows on the Uconnect display. I have tried three different USB cables, cleared the data on the app in the phone, but there is no change.

If I try it the next day, it will work once., or if I leave the Jeep to sit for a few hours, then it may work once again.

I do have a USB memory stick plugged into the rear USB port, I have tried removing it to see if that would make a difference and it does not. My phone is a LG V30.

Ive done some searching on the internet for this issue and did not find anything like this problem. I did check the website with my VIN number to see if there is a software update, there isn't.

Bluetooth always works fine, I can make and answer calls all the time and even play my music through bluetooth.

Is there something I am missing or something else I can try?

Mike
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer View Post
I have an issue with the Uconnect 4 and Android Auto. I already have the app installed and working because I have the feature in my Chevy Tahoe. On the Jeep, Android auto seems to only work once a day, if that sounds weird. If I use it, then disconnect from it (say stop to go to the store or something) then re-connect it, it launches on my phone but never shows on the Uconnect display. I have tried three different USB cables, cleared the data on the app in the phone, but there is no change.

If I try it the next day, it will work once., or if I leave the Jeep to sit for a few hours, then it may work once again.

I do have a USB memory stick plugged into the rear USB port, I have tried removing it to see if that would make a difference and it does not. My phone is a LG V30.

I've done some searching on the internet for this issue and did not find anything like this problem. I did check the website with my VIN number to see if there is a software update, there isn't.

Bluetooth always works fine, I can make and answer calls all the time and even play my music through Bluetooth.

Mike
In my experience android auto sucks in most car/SUV/trucks. I travel for work(rentals) and I have used it in everything from Tahoe(like yours) to malibu, to renegades and camery. It works better than others, but it is overall spotty. It can be the units themselves in your compass. Do you have the 7" or the 8.4"? I have used both and the 8.4" seems to connect better and work with less lag. I would suggest getting a really good cable from Amazon that has surge protection built in so your phone doesn't pull too much power. I would also say try using the back USB a couple of times and have the cord reach to the front. I can suggest a cord for you if you wish...

I have just over time figured that android auto sucks compared to apple car play. even the new Chevy cars that have USB-c plugs do not help with the connectivity. If your compass is new still you can take it in and have them swap out the unit just to check.

Good luck and sorry I do not have better news.

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 AM

Do you have USB Debugging enabled? I've found that seems to make Android Auto not work consistently. Turning it off has fixed things for me.
arudlang and mikeexplorer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass2ndgenguy View Post
In my experience android auto sucks in most car/SUV/trucks. I travel for work(rentals) and I have used it in everything from Tahoe(like yours) to malibu, to renegades and camery. It works better than others, but it is overall spotty. It can be the units themselves in your compass. Do you have the 7" or the 8.4"? I have used both and the 8.4" seems to connect better and work with less lag. I would suggest getting a really good cable from Amazon that has surge protection built in so your phone doesn't pull too much power. I would also say try using the back USB a couple of times and have the cord reach to the front. I can suggest a cord for you if you wish...

I have just over time figured that android auto sucks compared to apple car play. even the new Chevy cars that have USB-c plugs do not help with the connectivity. If your compass is new still you can take it in and have them swap out the unit just to check.

Good luck and sorry I do not have better news.

I have the 7 inch display. The Jeep is new, only bought it last week. It does seem to work more consistently in the Tahoe. Rarely does it not launch. Both vehicles have the standard USB ports.

I have to look up the specs as far as how much power the USB ports in the Jeep provide. The phone supports fast charging, but that requires the Qualcomm chip, otherwise the phone defaults to normal charging which should not draw more then 500ma from the USB port. I know both vehicles do not support the Qualcomm chip, that raises the voltage at the USB port for fast charging.

Mike
post #5 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
Do you have USB Debugging enabled? I've found that seems to make Android Auto not work consistently. Turning it off has fixed things for me.
Actually I do have it enabled, I will try turning that off and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have the 7-inch display. The Jeep is new, only bought it last week. It does seem to work more consistently in the Tahoe. Rarely does it not launch. Both vehicles have the standard USB ports.

I have to look up the specs as far as how much power the USB ports in the Jeep provide. The phone supports fast charging, but that requires the Qualcomm chip, otherwise the phone defaults to normal charging which should not draw more than 500ma from the USB port. I know both vehicles do not support the Qualcomm chip, that raises the voltage at the USB port for fast charging.

Mike
Either way, I just drove a brand new renegade with a 7" display and would disconnect during rides very frequently. Then drove a brand new limited compass 2019 with an 8.4" screen and it worked better but still got the random disconnects. I have found this normal with most android auto play experiences. I love my pixel 2 xl but this integration sucks....

hope the debugging option works for you!

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #7 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turning off the USB debugging seemed to be the solution. Four times I plugged the phone in and Andriod Auto came up each time with no hesitation. I also have not had any issues with it disconnecting randomly, but the longest drive I took with it running was only a half hour.

Mike
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Turning off the USB debugging seemed to be the solution. Four times I plugged the phone in and Andriod Auto came up each time with no hesitation. I also have not had any issues with it disconnecting randomly, but the longest drive I took with it running was only a half hour.

Mike
Went through the same thing for awhile. Glad it worked for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Ive done some searching on the internet for this issue and did not find anything like this problem. I did check the website with my VIN number to see if there is a software update, there isn't.

Bluetooth always works fine, I can make and answer calls all the time and even play my music through bluetooth.

Mike
Make sure you have disabled "optimize battery usage" in the Android Auto app settings. I had the same issue, sine I have disabled it - I have not had any issues with it disconnecting at all.

- Settings
- apps
- android auto
- battery
- optimize battery usage
- make sure Android Auto is disabled

Hope this helps

19 Jeep Compass Altitude
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrive View Post
Make sure you have disabled "optimize battery usage" in the Android Auto app settings. I had the same issue, sine I have disabled it - I have not had any issues with it disconnecting at all.

- Settings
- apps
- android auto
- battery
- optimize battery usage
- make sure Android Auto is disabled

Hope this helps
I have not had any issues with it disconnecting randomly. I have taken longer trips in the Tahoe and never saw that problem either. I checked the settings and its set to default, if I have issues I will disable it.

My issue was plugging the phone in to the USB port, it would not see it and never show me the icon. Turning off USB debugging seems to have solved the problem. Past few days I can plug in, and unplug, repeat, and it would always launch.

It seems Uconnect was more sensitive to the USB debugging compared to MyChevorlet Link. Either way, its fixed now.

Mike
post #11 of 11 Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It has been over a week now and since disabling USB debugging on the phone, Android Auto comes up on the screen every time it is plugged in. Thanks for the advice, working well now.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in