Adaptive Cruise Control and More - Jeep Compass Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
 
Interesting phone call, service manager quoted me 7k to install adaptive cruise control on my 2018 compass.... for non Trailhawk compasses, 1700 to change front ends to trailhawk with steel impact bar, they also have to calibrate the radar if it’s removed. Putting on bigger tires? 97 dollars to calibrate speedo, that lets you keep the warranty on everything. The ACC they said they have to change the body control module as well as the drive train module as well.
Housekat23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
84z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 123
 
Garage
The only Jeep vehicle that you can calibrate the speedo for bigger tires is a wrangler
84z28 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat23 View Post
Interesting phone call, service manager quoted me 7k to install adaptive cruise control on my 2018 compass.... for non Trailhawk compasses, 1700 to change front ends to trailhawk with steel impact bar, they also have to calibrate the radar if itís removed. Putting on bigger tires? 97 dollars to calibrate speedo, that lets you keep the warranty on everything. The ACC they said they have to change the body control module as well as the drive train module as well.
Do you have the front collision warning/breaking system (with the radar eye, etc)? I think if those parts are installed, the car should already have all the hardware required for ACC.
Tripod is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
 
The dealership said they would calibrate the speedo for my compass, when it comes to the ACC, the manager was a major dick about it, saying yeah they could, but putting an outrageous price on it so that most people won't think twice. I told him I have the Forward Collision Warning Plus, he still said he would have to install new body modules and drivetrain modules and that apparently adds up to 7k.... No other dealership will look at it though, so i'm going to ask for an estimate lol. I'll keep people updated as I go, but for right now, i'm saving up to do the tires and front end swap and adding the skid plates. 2500 dollars later, i'll see where I am at lol.
Housekat23 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat23 View Post
The dealership said they would calibrate the speedo for my compass, when it comes to the ACC, the manager was a major dick about it, saying yeah they could, but putting an outrageous price on it so that most people won't think twice. I told him I have the Forward Collision Warning Plus, he still said he would have to install new body modules and drivetrain modules and that apparently adds up to 7k.... No other dealership will look at it though, so i'm going to ask for an estimate lol. I'll keep people updated as I go, but for right now, i'm saving up to do the tires and front end swap and adding the skid plates. 2500 dollars later, i'll see where I am at lol.
You can ask for the part numbers as well. If they need to install a different body modules and drivetrain module, their part numbers should be different than what is now on the car.
Tripod is online now  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat23 View Post
The dealership said they would calibrate the speedo for my compass, when it comes to the ACC, the manager was a major dick about it, saying yeah they could, but putting an outrageous price on it so that most people won't think twice. I told him I have the Forward Collision Warning Plus, he still said he would have to install new body modules and drivetrain modules and that apparently adds up to 7k.... No other dealership will look at it though, so i'm going to ask for an estimate lol. I'll keep people updated as I go, but for right now, i'm saving up to do the tires and front end swap and adding the skid plates. 2500 dollars later, i'll see where I am at lol.
You can ask for the part numbers as well. If they need to install a different body modules and drivetrain module, their part numbers should be different than what is now on the car.
For what I learn playing with AlfaOBD is that the body module is the same for all models. What it changes is the vehicle configuration.
In simple answer. Even with the new module. Jeep won't turn in adaptive cruise control. Because those functions are turned on by the VIN configuration.

In other words. Get yourself some AlfaOBD. And turn on the feature your self.
Jaime Figueroa is online now  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 87
 
This is the route I'll be taking with AlfaOBD. Just working on other cars so not getting to it anytime soon.

I am 99.9% that what your dealer is asking for is wrong. There is no procedure for retrofitting the ACC, so he just made stuff up. I've seen this with my dealers up here a few times, but little did they know that I knew more about the car than they did ... sad ...

I'm willing to bet that as Jaime said, it just needs to be turned on, and maybe a module or 2 need to be flashed.
jim010 is online now  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
Haven't posted in a while. Been busy with other stuff. I bought the new steering wheel controls for ACC. Haven't got a chance to install them yet. Once I do, I'll enable ACC in the BCM and see if they work. My Jeep doesn't have the radar distance sensor, so that might be next if things go well with the buttons. At the very least my wheel wont have depressing blank spacers.
n4cr2k is online now  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
Haven't posted in a while. Been busy with other stuff. I bought the new steering wheel controls for ACC. Haven't got a chance to install them yet. Once I do, I'll enable ACC in the BCM and see if they work. My Jeep doesn't have the radar distance sensor, so that might be next if things go well with the buttons. At the very least my wheel wont have depressing blank spacers.
Hey n4cr2k, By any chance, do you have the part numbers for ACC controls.
Tripod is online now  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
I was impatient and bought the part for the Cherokee instead of waiting for the part number for the 2019 compass. The wiring harness looks correct and seems like it should be a drop in replacement. Just haven't had a chance to pull the steering wheel to try it out.

68321898AA
n4cr2k is online now  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
I was impatient and bought the part for the Cherokee instead of waiting for the part number for the 2019 compass. The wiring harness looks correct and seems like it should be a drop in replacement. Just haven't had a chance to pull the steering wheel to try it out.

68321898AA
Thank you!!!
Tripod is online now  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
 
I am very interested in how this goes.
I have a 2018 latitude with the advanced safety package, so I have the radar sensor, (forward collision and lane assist).
Seems like all I would need is the steering wheel switches, and then enable it with alfaobd.
If someone can get this to work I certainly will be buying those and turning it on.
Chris Elsaesser is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
I have the steering wheel controls, I have alfaobd, and I have the advanced safety package. But with a US manual, they don't give us the radar. So I'll try to hook up the controls and enable it, but not sure if it will be a great test of its functionality. I'd add the distance sensor if i knew it would work, but its rather pricey at round $600 to try. I'm only out $60 with the buttons.
n4cr2k is online now  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
10-64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box
Posts: 219
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat23 View Post
quoted me 7k to install
Could've/Should've bought a Grand Cherokee. At that price you've really closed the gap between the two.
10-64 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-26-2019, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
I took a go at it today, but couldn't get the airbag cover off of the steering wheel. Looking at other vehicles, it seems I need to use a flat blade screwdriver to release some clips. Anyone know of a good how-to or some tips? I probably just need to fumble around with it some more.

I found this video for a renege. He struggled a bunch, then finally got it. After he gets it out and undone, I wish he would put the screwdriver back in and show the clip/un-clip mechanism more clearly.
n4cr2k is online now  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-31-2019, 12:37 AM
Member
 
partyflipflop@aol.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 73
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat23 View Post
quoted me 7k to install
Could've/Should've bought a Grand Cherokee. At that price you've really closed the gap between the two.


This. Please dont spend that kind of money on a Compass. Sell it and buy a different one.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
According to the link below. ACC for Compass only has 3 hardware components. The radar, front facing camera and steering wheel switches. Radar and front facing camera is already on the cars with collision warning system. There are some other parts as well, but those seem to be on every model with regular cruise control regardless of trim. So only hardware needed is the steering wheel switches (which as $39 according to the link). It will of course also require software activation. Even if the entire steering column is needed to be replaced for some strange reason, it will cost 189+39 (so say $300 after shipping, tax etc).

I feel like any dealer who intends to charge $7000 for this conversion is straight up scamming people. All they are going to do is disassembling the steering wheel, replacing the cruise control switches with a $39 ACC one and software activating it. It worst it will take 30mins for a mechanic to do this.

https://www.moparpartsinc.com/a/Jeep.../i2387852.html

Last edited by Tripod; 05-31-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Tripod is online now  
post #18 of 23 Old 06-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
I finally found a good video that demonstrates getting the steering wheel cover off, albeit its in Portuguese. He shows the procedure around the 2min mark.

n4cr2k is online now  
post #19 of 23 Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 87
 
Don't expect there to be the plug for the ACC in the wheel. The car will most likely have a different harness. This means you will need to get the wiring diagrams and wire it up yourself. You will also need the male and female pins, and the male connector plug that goes into the ACC switch.

You will be adding the missing wires from the switch to the clockspring, and then from the clock spring to wherever the wiring diagrams say - probably the car's main computer module and the cluster.

It is not hard. I've done this sort of thing many times retrofitting equipment and functions to my other cars. But don't expect to just pop in the switch, as I am 99% sure there will be nothing to plug it into.

Last edited by jim010; 06-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.
jim010 is online now  
post #20 of 23 Old 06-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
n4cr2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 143
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
Don't expect there to be the plug for the ACC in the wheel. The car will most likely have a different harness. This means you will need to get the wiring diagrams and wire it up yourself. You will also need the male and female pins, and the male connector plug that goes into the ACC switch.

You will be adding the missing wires from the switch to the clockspring, and then from the clock spring to wherever the wiring diagrams say - probably the car's main computer module and the cluster.

It is not hard. I've done this sort of thing many times retrofitting equipment and functions to my other cars. But don't expect to just pop in the switch, as I am 99% sure there will be nothing to plug it into.
I've watched the video of the wheel controls being taken apart. The harness/connector is the same for both our current part and the new one with ACC. It's all one unit. I'm still struggling to get the airbag/horn cover off though.
n4cr2k is online now  
post #21 of 23 Old 06-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 295
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
Don't expect there to be the plug for the ACC in the wheel. The car will most likely have a different harness. This means you will need to get the wiring diagrams and wire it up yourself. You will also need the male and female pins, and the male connector plug that goes into the ACC switch.

You will be adding the missing wires from the switch to the clockspring, and then from the clock spring to wherever the wiring diagrams say - probably the car's main computer module and the cluster.

It is not hard. I've done this sort of thing many times retrofitting equipment and functions to my other cars. But don't expect to just pop in the switch, as I am 99% sure there will be nothing to plug it into.
I think it has the same wiring. You replace the regular cruiser control switches with the ACC switches. It has a plug that does into where regular CC plug goes into. They basically dont have a dedicated wiring going into the BCM or ECM, it just connects to a plug on the steering wheel. Below are the diagrams for both modules;

https://www.moparpartsinc.com/a/Jeep.../i2387852.html

https://www.moparpartsinc.com/a/Jeep.../i2384074.html

Last edited by Tripod; 06-10-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Tripod is online now  
post #22 of 23 Old Today, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 87
 
Any news?
jim010 is online now  
post #23 of 23 Old Today, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 610
 
Just chiming in randomly because @84z28 said
Quote:
The only Jeep vehicle that you can calibrate the speedo for bigger tires is a wrangler
I noticed in AlfaOBD there is a new option in the BCM configuration changes for "Tire Circumference". I am certain that was not there before, must have came with an update at some point? It does not say what units to enter either (centimeters, millimeters, inches, etc), but we should be able to derive that from reading the stock value. I have to say, I am extremely gun-shy of plugging the obdlink mx back in after the rucus with my Uconnect screen going haywire. I managed to make all the configuration changes I wanted prior to the dealer replacing the radio, and now that everything is working the way I want it (screen not screwed up, ESS disabled, seatbelt warning disabled) I don't really want to risk it by plugging in again. My wife would rather I leave it alone too xD
arudlang is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome