Jeep compass engine temperature - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Jeep compass engine temperature

Is normal to reach 114 celsius or 237 F? no warning ligh.

Thnks
Federico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_154720.jpg (49.7 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I would say not. Was it under any special conditions like pulling a trailer or crossing the desert? Mine stays in the low 190sF. I have more trouble getting it warm in the winter than cool in the summer.

Any chance you're low on motor oil? These things are known for consuming oil and oil helps with cooling by reducing friction and also dissipating heat

Last edited by Jasmine; 05-23-2019 at 01:03 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 AM

Mine runs 198* F on the highway and usually 205 at stop lights, but I've never seen it higher than 210 even with temps near 90 outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM

I think it is normal, I have seen mine hit that high once in a stop and go traffic with ambient temperature around ~105F. Keep i mind the gauge is still keeping the temperature within the center of the gauge. If it was overheating, it would not be there.

If it was idling there, I would be worried, but if it is there after some heavy application, it should be okay. I have also seen mine to get close to 110C after I climbed a steep mountain road at 70MPH and stopped at the peak. It was around 92C during the climb, but once I came to a stop, coolant quickly raised to 110C ( suspect radiator fan doesn't spin when you are above a certain speed, but that causes coolant temperature to spike if you quickly come to a stop and the fan lags).

Also a small correction, that is not the engine temperature, it is the coolant temperature. Engine temperature should be around 250C (although the gauge doesnt show oil temperature)

Last edited by Tripod; 05-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

It was last week in midium traffic in south america outside temperature 71f, the oil was checked and was perfect in the top of the scale the day before.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

I check the oli regulary 5 minutes after turning off, in jeep i changed the oil at 1.200 miles for a correct breake in because i read al kind of warning of oil consumptions.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM

I read Tripod's post, and I agree to the point of wanting the gauge to be in the middle range, and it may go a little higher under severe conditions, but Ficob says it was 71F outside in moderate traffic. If its running that high under pretty much normal condition I fear what might happen when conditions are less than ideal.

Ficob, if your vehicle is new enough you're probably under warranty so it shouldn't cost you anything to have your dealer check the cooling system.

We've not touched on the obvious. Is the cooling system full?
post #8 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Jasmin, its at the minimun i already take it to the dealer, he told me there was a lost comunication, i asked for the coolant leavel he say it was ok.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 AM

Hey Ficob,

I have seen my temperatures reach 232-233F (I think I only saw it hit 233F ONCE). I have seen it hit 232F in Southern California stop and go traffic conditions or slow movement in the desert. I have brought it to the dealership THREE times. It is still covered under its basic manufacturer warranty but I have also purchased extended warranty. All three times, the dealership found nothing wrong and said that it was fine since it was not indicating any overheating.

At this point, I stopped "worrying" about it hitting 230F. It is the normal range for my car in CERTAIN conditions (obviously not all the time). My typical range is 197-198F. I would bring it in just so you can document it should anything happen. Document everything and have paperwork on your side.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kcoronado93, i think thats im going to do too, there in no max or min in user manuals, the thing bothers me its i smell inside the cabin the coolant product evaporated...its a caracteristic smell .......
post #11 of 19 Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficob View Post
Thanks Kcoronado93, i think thats im going to do too, there in no max or min in user manuals, the thing bothers me its i smell inside the cabin the coolant product evaporated...its a caracteristic smell .......
Smells to me like you've got a leak. You shouldn't smell the coolant inside the cabin or anywhere else. If you can smell it, then its coming out somewhere.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM

I am not the OP of this thread, but a quick update on the subject based on what I recently learned.

Yesterday I was at my Jeep dealer for an oil change and I asked about what would be the normal operating temperature range of the cooling system. According to the service manager, the cooling system only has two "permanent" set points, the low set point is about at ~194F (90C) and high set point is at ~235F (112C). Basically the cooling system would completely turn off (thermostat fully closed and fan @ min speed) if the coolant temperature is below 192F and the cooling system will be completely on (thermostat fully open and fan @ 100%). Anything between these two values is normal, as the system can dynamical move set point for the coolant temperature. As the thermostat and the radiator fan on these cars is 100% electronic and controlled by the ECM, the computer maintains the engine cooling temperature based on the environmental conditions, engine load, fuel economy, speed and etc.

As an example, if the engine is under heavy load, the ECM can maintain the coolant temperature @ 110C, since a hotter engine is more efficient (or basically uses less fuel and generates less heat) . If needed, it could cool the coolant down to 92C, but chooses to maintain it at 110C due to improved fuel economy, reduced engine load and less stress on cooling system. This is especially true for hot weather, as the computer tries to avoid stressing the cooling system for marginally better cooling at hot weather. to According to him, as a general rule of thump, if the engine is generating more heat (conditions like towing, high grade climbing, stop and go traffic, etc) the system will set a higher temperature set point. The set point is also higher at warmer weather. If the engine is not generating extra heat, or if the ambient temperature is low, the coolant temperature is maintained at a lower value (since it could be done with minimal effort). So put it simply, if the coolant is easy to cool down, under given driving conditions, it will cool it down until the lower set point with minimum effort. If not, computer will set the coolant temperature that would be easiest to maintain with minimal load on the cooling system and it would only stress the cooling system if the temperature raises against the upper limit around ~235F. This to some extend also comes down to fuel economy, as running the cooling system consumes fuel and reduce fuel economy. I assume there also is an even higher coolant temperature value that the A/C is tuned off and an alarm is shown (per the manual), this value might be in ~250F, per the given range.

I was actually able to see the system at work to some extend. I my case, the cooling fat is at idle until the coolant temperature hits 230F. At that point, the cooling fan turns on and cools the coolant down back to ~220F and than slows down. However, if you put the A/C on max, it manually sets the radiator fan to 100% (like in any other car), in that case the coolant temperature drops until ~194F, at which point thermostat is closed and further cooling is prevented.

Last edited by Tripod; 07-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 03:12 AM

@Tripod, that is a very informative post!

Now you got me to thinking. Today was likely the hottest day of the year (one can only hope). I'd been traveling on the interstate at about 70MPH with the a/c on regular, not max. I decided to stop for a snack and after exiting I had to wait for oncoming cars to pass before I could turn into the Burger King. Since this was a long trip (170 miles) I had not disengaged the start/stop but it did not shut me down as I would have expected when the brake was depressed firmly. Might this have been temperature related? I know the start/stop does not function if the ambient temperature is too cold (says so on the display) -- do you think it doesn't function when its too hot, either?
post #14 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 03:30 AM

Jeep compass engine temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
@Tripod, that is a very informative post!

Now you got me to thinking. Today was likely the hottest day of the year (one can only hope). I'd been traveling on the interstate at about 70MPH with the a/c on regular, not max. I decided to stop for a snack and after exiting I had to wait for oncoming cars to pass before I could turn into the Burger King. Since this was a long trip (170 miles) I had not disengaged the start/stop but it did not shut me down as I would have expected when the brake was depressed firmly. Might this have been temperature related? I know the start/stop does not function if the ambient temperature is too cold (says so on the display) -- do you think it doesn't function when its too hot, either?

I think that is the reason. Start stop does not work if the A/C compressor is on, since it is powered by the engine. I think under information section of the corresponding display it says something like “start/stop inactive, cabin cooling”.

It can stop the engine if the cabin is more or less cooled down (or if the ambient air is not much hotter than what is set for cabin). During that period is it basically runs the A/C fan passively and use the cooled down condenser for cooling. Eventually it would need to turn the engine on as the condenser would heat up without the A/C compressor. You can actually replicate what you experienced. Once the auto start/stop turns the engine off, reduce the set temperature on the A/C. The engine will turn on in response to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
start stop does turn the engine off with ac running, at least mine does.
it will not if your front wheels are turned enough, again from my experience

2018 Compass Latitude
post #16 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
start stop does turn the engine off with ac running, at least mine does.
it will not if your front wheels are turned enough, again from my experience
It would if the A/C is not under high demand. Compressor cant run with the engine off, but you can still run the A/C for some time if the condenser is cold enough. When the cabin temperature reaches to the set temperature, compresses starts to cycle on and off to just keep the condenser cold enough to maintain that temperature, but doesn't need to run all the time. Under those cases, the engine can turn off since it doesn't need the compressor on all the time anyways.

But if you wait long enough, or reduce the set temperature on the A/C, engine will turn on. Next time when the engine is turned of by the start/stop with the A/C on, try reducing the set cabin temperature few degrees. Engine will turn back on and if you check the information screen, it will say "start/stop off, cabin cooling".
post #17 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
It would if the A/C is not under high demand. Compressor cant run with the engine off, but you can still run the A/C for some time if the condenser is cold enough. When the cabin temperature reaches to the set temperature, compresses starts to cycle on and off to just keep the condenser cold enough to maintain that temperature, but doesn't need to run all the time. Under those cases, the engine can turn off since it doesn't need the compressor on all the time anyways.

But if you wait long enough, or reduce the set temperature on the A/C, engine will turn on. Next time when the engine is turned of by the start/stop with the A/C on, try reducing the set cabin temperature few degrees. Engine will turn back on and if you check the information screen, it will say "start/stop off, cabin cooling".
no temp on my ac, its old fashioned, just on or off, and whatever fan speed you pick

2018 Compass Latitude
post #18 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
no temp on my ac, its old fashioned, just on or off, and whatever fan speed you pick
You can try to turn the temperature knob to the coldest setting and max the fan, I assume that would achieve the same thing. The key is to force the compressor to turn on.

I checked the manual and these are the conditions for the start/stop to turn off, what I talk about corresponds to the 6th condition from the top;

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many
safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled.
Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start
system may be viewed in the instrument cluster display
Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations the engine
will not stop:
• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
• Battery charge is low.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable
cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• HVAC set to MAX A/C.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• The transmission is not in a forward gear.
• Hood is open.
• Vehicle is in 4WD LOW transfer case mode.
• Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Engine temp too high.
• 5 MPH (8 km/h) threshold not achieved from previous
AUTOSTOP.
• Steering angle beyond threshold.
• Adaptive Cruise Control is on and speed is set.
It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times
without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/
START READY state under more extreme conditions of the
items listed above.
@Jasmine, did you have the Steering turned? According to the list above, that can also disable the start/stop. So your case can either be that or the A/C.

Last edited by Tripod; 07-22-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
. . .
• Steering angle beyond threshold.
. . .
@Jasmine, did you have the Steering turned? According to the list above, that can also disable the start/stop. So your case can either be that or the A/C.
Bingo! Most likely my steering was cut pretty hard since I was preparing to make a sharp left turn. Gosh, there's a lot of things that can keep auto stop/start from engaging!

And yes, my a/c was on considering it was a very hot day, but stop/start seems to work when it is on, but as you say, it will restart if I'm stopped for a significant period of time.

Last edited by Jasmine; 07-22-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in