Jeep compass engine temperature - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Jeep compass engine temperature

Is normal to reach 114 celsius or 237 F? no warning ligh.

Thnks
Federico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190512_154720.jpg (49.7 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I would say not. Was it under any special conditions like pulling a trailer or crossing the desert? Mine stays in the low 190sF. I have more trouble getting it warm in the winter than cool in the summer.

Any chance you're low on motor oil? These things are known for consuming oil and oil helps with cooling by reducing friction and also dissipating heat

Last edited by Jasmine; 05-23-2019 at 01:03 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 AM

Mine runs 198* F on the highway and usually 205 at stop lights, but I've never seen it higher than 210 even with temps near 90 outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM

I think it is normal, I have seen mine hit that high once in a stop and go traffic with ambient temperature around ~105F. Keep i mind the gauge is still keeping the temperature within the center of the gauge. If it was overheating, it would not be there.

If it was idling there, I would be worried, but if it is there after some heavy application, it should be okay. I have also seen mine to get close to 110C after I climbed a steep mountain road at 70MPH and stopped at the peak. It was around 92C during the climb, but once I came to a stop, coolant quickly raised to 110C ( suspect radiator fan doesn't spin when you are above a certain speed, but that causes coolant temperature to spike if you quickly come to a stop and the fan lags).

Also a small correction, that is not the engine temperature, it is the coolant temperature. Engine temperature should be around 250C (although the gauge doesnt show oil temperature)

Last edited by Tripod; 05-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

It was last week in midium traffic in south america outside temperature 71f, the oil was checked and was perfect in the top of the scale the day before.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

I check the oli regulary 5 minutes after turning off, in jeep i changed the oil at 1.200 miles for a correct breake in because i read al kind of warning of oil consumptions.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM

I read Tripod's post, and I agree to the point of wanting the gauge to be in the middle range, and it may go a little higher under severe conditions, but Ficob says it was 71F outside in moderate traffic. If its running that high under pretty much normal condition I fear what might happen when conditions are less than ideal.

Ficob, if your vehicle is new enough you're probably under warranty so it shouldn't cost you anything to have your dealer check the cooling system.

We've not touched on the obvious. Is the cooling system full?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Jasmin, its at the minimun i already take it to the dealer, he told me there was a lost comunication, i asked for the coolant leavel he say it was ok.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 01:31 AM

Hey Ficob,

I have seen my temperatures reach 232-233F (I think I only saw it hit 233F ONCE). I have seen it hit 232F in Southern California stop and go traffic conditions or slow movement in the desert. I have brought it to the dealership THREE times. It is still covered under its basic manufacturer warranty but I have also purchased extended warranty. All three times, the dealership found nothing wrong and said that it was fine since it was not indicating any overheating.

At this point, I stopped "worrying" about it hitting 230F. It is the normal range for my car in CERTAIN conditions (obviously not all the time). My typical range is 197-198F. I would bring it in just so you can document it should anything happen. Document everything and have paperwork on your side.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kcoronado93, i think thats im going to do too, there in no max or min in user manuals, the thing bothers me its i smell inside the cabin the coolant product evaporated...its a caracteristic smell .......
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficob View Post
Thanks Kcoronado93, i think thats im going to do too, there in no max or min in user manuals, the thing bothers me its i smell inside the cabin the coolant product evaporated...its a caracteristic smell .......
Smells to me like you've got a leak. You shouldn't smell the coolant inside the cabin or anywhere else. If you can smell it, then its coming out somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in