USB Port Problems - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By HotTub
  • 1 Post By mikeexplorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

USB Port Problems

Hey All,

I am not sure if this has already been discussed but it isn't the easiest to locate former threads. But here is my question: Has anyone had any issues with a bad USB port in their Compass? If so, was it an easy fix under warranty?

I noticed that my USB port no longer operates anymore. I can no longer use my iPhone to connect to Car Play and I can no longer charge my phone with the USB port. It went out about a week ago and I have been putting it off until my next oil change (which is coming up soon). These minor electrical problems are starting to piss me off.

Another problem I am experience is that my gear shift no longer lights up. I am so adjusted to looking down at the gear shift knob and display to see what gear I am in (even though it shows on the dashboard), so it has become bothersome. Once again, another thing to mention to the dealership during the oil change.

I feel 90% certain it will be fixed but I have heard that some users (not just on this forum) have experienced difficulties in getting these problems resolved. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 12:00 AM

Have you tried plugging the USB disk into the port in the back seat with the same results? I put 7000 songs on an extremely small bean size USB and plugged it into the USB port in the back seat and it works great. It is out of the way and gives me access to the plug in the front seat for other things. Would be interesting to see if both of your USB ports are acting the same.
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
I have done the same thing and I find having the small USB stick in the rear port all the time does not interfere with using Android Auto.

Mike
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-29-2019, 12:08 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Well yes. I have the problem sometimes. Its good about 90% of the time. Sometimes it lags by 10-15 seconds after I start, but most times its right there. Other times I have to fiddle with the wire and the port but eventually it seems to work -- its never totally failed. I'm guessing is a poor connection because maybe junk (crumbs, chips, coffee) has gotten in there. Its been good for a week or two now. I can't figure why its an off & on problem, but that's what it is.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Well yes. I have the problem sometimes. Its good about 90% of the time. Sometimes it lags by 10-15 seconds after I start, but most times its right there. Other times I have to fiddle with the wire and the port but eventually it seems to work -- its never totally failed. I'm guessing is a poor connection because maybe junk (crumbs, chips, coffee) has gotten in there. Its been good for a week or two now. I can't figure why its an off & on problem, but that's what it is.
Try blowing some compressed air to see if any junk got in the port.
Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 02:23 PM
KRB

Garage
I have had some USB issues with the UConnect system. It is a bit buggy, and always has been (this is my third Jeep with UConnect). I have found that using the rear USB for Android Auto and Apple Car Play works better with fewer bugs.
It does seem to me, however, that you do have an electrical issue since your USB seems dead and the light in your gear selector is out. Have you checked for a blown fuse?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 01:16 AM

One glitch that has never returned.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM

My USB has had temporary intermittent issues, like the USB controller stops working and the car has to be shut off for a few minutes before it will work again, but that doesn't happen often and never in an ongoing manner. Unquestionably that should be covered under warranty for you.

Edit: Obviously you have tried more than one cable, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in