Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 0W-20 Full Synthetic Oil - $16.10 for 5qt - Jeep Compass Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By NewCsport
  • 3 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 0W-20 Full Synthetic Oil - $16.10 for 5qt

I just saw this deal on 0w-20 oil via amazon. You have to subscribe to save the extra $ but this seems like a solid deal for those who do their own oil changes...

I cannot post links but search for 'Castrol 03060 GTX MAGNATEC 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart' on amazon and you will see it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 AM

5 quarts...oh good that will get me through the 5,000 miles between my oil changes
arudlang likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #3 of 16 Old 06-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Castrol is a great oil, just be aware that it does not meet MS-6395 requirements for the 2nd gens
arudlang likes this.

stock 2018 Compass Sport 2wd Jazz Blue Appearance and Tech. Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
i pay $35 for a complete change with synthetic

so i dont even bother myself anymore

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 16 Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
I just saw this deal on 0w-20 oil via amazon. You have to subscribe to save the extra $ but this seems like a solid deal for those who do their own oil changes...

I cannot post links but search for 'Castrol 03060 GTX MAGNATEC 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart' on amazon and you will see it
I use Walmart oil brand, with almost 20,000 miles, I've had no issues. As for mileage check your owners manual. It will.say change when the "Change Oil" light comes on or a year from your last oil change. If you're changing your oil every 3-5K without the oil light not coming on, you're wasting your money.

https://youtu.be/Nuew1MF7y_M

Watch the link above.
Rather you spend your money on fun things than wasting on unnecessary oil changes.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpabon1
If you're changing your oil every 3-5K without the oil light not coming on, you're wasting your money.
I personally disagree. In laboratory conditions modern synthetic oil can probably be shown to last an incredibly long time without any major breakdown of its lubricating properties, but inside our engines is a different environment. Continuous contamination and dilution of the oil from combustion and moisture is at play. Mechanical wear, heat, and age are not breaking down the oil like in the old days but engines are still not sealed systems and less-so than ever in the cylinders these days. Its so cheap and easy I would rather err on the side of caution, especially in this motor in particular where the oil functions not only as mechanical lubrication but also as hydraulic fluid in the multi-air system.

I also change oil more frequently because I work my engine a lot harder than the average person who is only commuting to work and back.

I also like having a pristine, borderline excessive oil change history at this point in the car's life for the sake of the warranty. Seems like FCA tries to dodge a lot of claims on the basis that the engine wasn't quite taken care of properly. I make certain they have no leg to stand on in case I have any major engine issues I need taken care of. If I am still driving it after the warranty runs out I will probably ease off to 5k oil change intervals but no longer than that. Its not that the modern oil isn't great but the modern environment is tough (if you use it like a work truck as I do).

Quote:
Watch the link above.
The title of the video is "Should you replace your car just because it needs repair?" and they are talking about brakes. Was it supposed to be a video about excessive oil changes?

P.S.: I used to use walmart's oil too but back when they sold it in clear quart containers I had some and noted a lot of the paraffins settling out on the bottom of the containers, and I don't like that. Truth be told I have seen that happen with this Penzoil Platinum too but I don't much care for Penzoil, I only run it during the warranty period since thats what Jeep wants to see in there and again, warranty concerns. Maybe thats one more reason I change it so often, MS-6395 oil seems to be pretty crappy in my experience. Someday out of warranty it will be nothing but Mobil1 and maybe then I will be ok with 5k intervals :P

Last edited by arudlang; 06-20-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Quote:
If you're changing your oil every 3-5K without the oil light not coming on, you're wasting your money.
I personally disagree. In laboratory conditions modern synthetic oil can probably be shown to last an incredibly long time without any major breakdown of its lubricating properties, but inside our engines is a different environment. Continuous contamination and dilution of the oil from combustion and moisture is at play. Mechanical wear, heat, and age are not breaking down the oil like in the old days but engines are still not sealed systems and less-so than ever in the cylinders these days. Its so cheap and easy I would rather err on the side of caution, especially in this motor in particular where the oil functions not only as mechanical lubrication but also as hydraulic fluid in the multi-air system.

I also change oil more frequently because I work my engine a lot harder than the average person who is only commuting to work and back.

I also like having a pristine, borderline excessive oil change history at this point in the car's life for the sake of the warranty. Seems like FCA tries to dodge a lot of claims on the basis that the engine wasn't quite taken care of properly. I make certain they have no leg to stand on in case I have any major engine issues I need taken care of. If I am still driving it after the warranty runs out I will probably ease off to 5k oil change intervals but no longer than that. Its not that the modern oil isn't great but the modern environment is tough (if you use it like a work truck as I do).

Quote:
Watch the link above.
The title of the video is "Should you replace your car just because it needs repair?" and they are talking about brakes. Was it supposed to be a video about excessive oil changes?
The correct link....
https://youtu.be/TUS528M1ke0
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Watch the link above.
Well I work at a dealership and normally I turn customers away if they come in for an oil change. Oil like engines have changed over time and are not the same. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just don’t want people to waste their money on unnecessary oil change. You can make your engine work hard and the sensor will still detect at different times when to change the oil. As long as you follow the manual, the warranty will be covered. If you have to change your oil sooner and it’s breaking down. Have a mechanic look at it. Could be something that needs to be taken care of before it becomes a bigger and costly problem. You may disagree, that’s fine. I work at a dealership for a living. Just being honest.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpabon1 View Post
Well I work at a dealership and normally I turn customers away if they come in for an oil change. Oil like engines have changed over time and are not the same. Iím not saying youíre wrong, just donít want people to waste their money on unnecessary oil change. You can make your engine work hard and the sensor will still detect at different times when to change the oil. As long as you follow the manual, the warranty will be covered. If you have to change your oil sooner and itís breaking down. Have a mechanic look at it. Could be something that needs to be taken care of before it becomes a bigger and costly problem. You may disagree, thatís fine. I work at a dealership for a living. Just being honest.
There is no sensor that checks the oil quality. It is a duty based system that predicts when would you need an oil change based on your driving habits, ambient conditions, etc. So the interval it sets is a prediction and it is not based on the condition of the oil inside the engine. 95% of the time it should be fine, but there are still conditions that it would not be able to predict.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Not to be testy, but "working at a dealership" does not win you any credibility in my book. It doesn't sound like you do any work on the cars yourself. I'm guessing sales advisor or sales in general. Even if you've been to the FCA institute, you're still drinking their koolaid.

I am familiar with the phrases like "we want to save you money." Yeah, dealerships know exactly where they want me to spend my money.

Dealerships like to sell cars. Selling cars > selling oil changes. Coincidentally, selling less oil changes might lead to selling more cars (because they won't last as long, and nobody rebuilds motors they just get a new car). Not accusing you of anything, just in general I find it suspicious because every dealership I have dealt with has had the same attitude.

I have also often heard things like "There is a sensor in there that will know when the oil needs to be changed." Thats not exactly what you said but sort of hinted at and I hear it a lot. There is no such sensor in any car engine that is sampling the oil to determine its condition. Feel free to send a part # if you can prove otherwise. The computer is designed to infer (aka, make a best guess) about the condition of the oil based on tangential information such as the number of miles since the last recorded oil change, how hard those miles were driven, temperatures, idle time, etc. It is pretty accurate all things considered, I'm not knocking the method, but leading people to believe there is some magical sensor that doesn't exist is how I know you either don't fully understand how it works or, benefit of the doubt, are trying to oversimplify it for people.

And then we have the warranty mention. The big difference in understanding there is the dealership only wants the car to creep across the finish line of the last warranty mile without costing them anything, and this is the mindset they look at oil changes with. In this case, we are talking about a meager 60k miles. After that, they are perfectly happy, thrilled even, for the car to start displaying enough minor problems or poor fuel economy to convince someone to trade in for something new (sell another car). Whereas most of us would like to buy something and be able to drive it for 150,000 to 250,000 miles without much major service. Sadly they seem to be designed to not make it that far anymore.

This conspiracy theory has a spectrum that ranges from "car manufactures are just plain greedy and pure evil" to "they have no choice but to cheapen the cars up to compete with other brands that cheapened their cars up and can sell them for less" The truth likely lies somewhere in-between.

I know this is coming off awfully accusational, I don't really mean to focus it towards you just generally speaking most car dealerships and service centers have very few people who truly know what they are talking about, but they all seem to think they are endowed with secret enlightenment and that they are the guiding light while the rest of us are some kind of moronic sheep who are barely capable of using the vehicles (much less understanding how they work).

I really am bitter towards service advisors in particular, just because they are the worst when it comes to talking like they know stuff, as if they actually did the work themselves, when in reality many of them are just regurgitating whatever the actual tech told them so at this point its 2nd or 3rd-hand information that has been twice simplified to ultimately spoon-feed it to me like I'm some kind of idiot at the end of the chain. I hate that.

I'd like to go down the line at the service counter at my local dealership and just ask them all once "How many engines have you rebuilt?" "How many crankshaft bearings have you pulled out and looked at?" "What criteria do you use to decide whether to just hone a block or bring it to the machinist?"

They don't get into any of that. They are trained to get the cars through the meager warranty range and that is all. I don't like bringing my car in, but you have to play the game through the warranty period to get anything covered. Sad facts of life.

Anyways I think my rant is over now. Seriously, nothing against you @wpabon1 I just straight up don't trust anyone at a dealership any farther than I can throw them.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
What do you do for a living besides googling automotive knowledge and throwing up a wall of words to refute an easy rebuttal

Quote:
Not to be testy, but "working at a dealership" does not win you any credibility in my book. It doesn't sound like you do any work on the cars yourself. I'm guessing sales advisor or sales in general. Even if you've been to the FCA institute, you're still drinking their koolaid.

I am familiar with the phrases like "we want to save you money." Yeah, dealerships know exactly where they want me to spend my money.

Dealerships like to sell cars. Selling cars > selling oil changes. Coincidentally, selling less oil changes might lead to selling more cars (because they won't last as long, and nobody rebuilds motors they just get a new car). Not accusing you of anything, just in general I find it suspicious because every dealership I have dealt with has had the same attitude.

I have also often heard things like "There is a sensor in there that will know when the oil needs to be changed." Thats not exactly what you said but sort of hinted at and I hear it a lot. There is no such sensor in any car engine that is sampling the oil to determine its condition. Feel free to send a part # if you can prove otherwise. The computer is designed to infer (aka, make a best guess) about the condition of the oil based on tangential information such as the number of miles since the last recorded oil change, how hard those miles were driven, temperatures, idle time, etc. It is pretty accurate all things considered, I'm not knocking the method, but leading people to believe there is some magical sensor that doesn't exist is how I know you either don't fully understand how it works or, benefit of the doubt, are trying to oversimplify it for people.

And then we have the warranty mention. The big difference in understanding there is the dealership only wants the car to creep across the finish line of the last warranty mile without costing them anything, and this is the mindset they look at oil changes with. In this case, we are talking about a meager 60k miles. After that, they are perfectly happy, thrilled even, for the car to start displaying enough minor problems or poor fuel economy to convince someone to trade in for something new (sell another car). Whereas most of us would like to buy something and be able to drive it for 150,000 to 250,000 miles without much major service. Sadly they seem to be designed to not make it that far anymore.

This conspiracy theory has a spectrum that ranges from "car manufactures are just plain greedy and pure evil" to "they have no choice but to cheapen the cars up to compete with other brands that cheapened their cars up and can sell them for less" The truth likely lies somewhere in-between.

I know this is coming off awfully accusational, I don't really mean to focus it towards you just generally speaking most car dealerships and service centers have very few people who truly know what they are talking about, but they all seem to think they are endowed with secret enlightenment and that they are the guiding light while the rest of us are some kind of moronic sheep who are barely capable of using the vehicles (much less understanding how they work).

I really am bitter towards service advisors in particular, just because they are the worst when it comes to talking like they know stuff, as if they actually did the work themselves, when in reality many of them are just regurgitating whatever the actual tech told them so at this point its 2nd or 3rd-hand information that has been twice simplified to ultimately spoon-feed it to me like I'm some kind of idiot at the end of the chain. I hate that.

I'd like to go down the line at the service counter at my local dealership and just ask them all once "How many engines have you rebuilt?" "How many crankshaft bearings have you pulled out and looked at?" "What criteria do you use to decide whether to just hone a block or bring it to the machinist?"

They don't get into any of that. They are trained to get the cars through the meager warranty range and that is all. I don't like bringing my car in, but you have to play the game through the warranty period to get anything covered. Sad facts of life.

Anyways I think my rant is over now. Seriously, nothing against you @wpabon1 I just straight up don't trust anyone at a dealership any farther than I can throw them.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
What do you do for a living besides googling automotive knowledge and throwing up a wall of words to refute an easy rebuttal

Quote:

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience and don’t trust the service department at dealership. I was just adding my two cents on this topic. It seems working at a dealership makes me the untrusted person in this chat lol.
Listen I love Jeeps as everyone else in this forum. I hope everyone has a great summer with their loved ones.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCsport View Post
Castrol is a great oil, just be aware that it does not meet MS-6395 requirements for the 2nd gens
What does this requirement do that is different from oils that do not meet this requirement?
post #14 of 16 Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
What does this requirement do that is different from oils that do not meet this requirement?
Probably nothing in terms of actual lubrication or etc.. But getting that certification cost money, so some companies choose not to go into the business of getting such certificates. Amsoil also has almost no 3rd party certificates, but the oils they produce are probably superior to anything anybody else offers.

The only downside is if you have an engine related malfunction and need warranty service, FCA would/could void the engine warranty on the basis of using an "uncertified" oil. Not something very likely, but could happen if you have an engine issues and they decide to look into that.
84z28, arudlang and barhoc11 like this.

Last edited by Tripod; 06-25-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

yep, what Tripod said. in this case, it has nothing to do with the quality of the oil ...

stock 2018 Compass Sport 2wd Jazz Blue Appearance and Tech. Package
post #16 of 16 Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28
What, you never met a professional know-it-all before? :P

I would like to apologize to @wpabon1 though, I know I am an ornery grump and you guys should know I often think better of some of the things I post later in the day. I could benefit from a forum feature in which you type out what you think you want to say and then the forum server could "hold" it for a few hours and then ask me later if I still really want to post it (much of it I would not).

Where I'm coming from is the point that changing the oil is like, the one simplest easiest cheapest thing you can possibly do maintenance-wise to take good care of your motor and it astounds me how many people would like to avoid it for as long as possible and get down to one single oil change in a calendar year. It can't really be about the money, oil and filters go on sale regularly, people just can't be bothered for some reason and I don't get it, and I sure as heck don't understand the campaign to discourage people from doing it (outside of conspiracy theory).
84z28 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in