Jeep Compass May Get Mercedes-Benz Diesel Overseas that produces 192HP and 295 lb/ft - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By mdram4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass May Get Mercedes-Benz Diesel Overseas that produces 192HP and 295 lb/ft

https://www.motor1.com/news/348146/j...s-benz-diesel/

Based on the link above, Compass might eventually get a 2.0 liter Mercedes turbo diesel engine that produces 192 horsepower and 295 lb/ft of torque. That would be a really nice engine to have, especially due to the low rev torque of diesel engines.
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 06-17-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 PM

That would be great for me. Its hard to keep a box trailer at highway speed with the pitiful torque of our 2.4!
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
That would be great for me. Its hard to keep a box trailer at highway speed with the pitiful torque of our 2.4!
I just dont understand why small turbo diesel engines are not more popular in the US. There are so few cars and trucks with a diesel option and the ones that have it are almost always replacements for already beefy gas engines. IMO a smaller car with a smaller gas engine would benefit more from an diesel option than a truck that you could already get with a 5.0 liter gas engine. I checked and even Mercedes doesn't offer that engine here on Mercedes vehicles. I wonder if it has something to do with different commission standards or added tax for importing an engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I just dont understand why small turbo diesel engines are not more popular in the US. There are so few cars and trucks with a diesel option and the ones that have it are almost always replacements for already beefy gas engines. IMO a smaller car with a smaller gas engine would benefit more from an diesel option than a truck that you could already get with a 5.0 liter gas engine. I checked and even Mercedes doesn't offer that engine here on Mercedes vehicles. I wonder if it has something to do with different commission standards or added tax for importing an engine.
2 words

emissions
kommiefornia
arudlang likes this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Garage
This is good to know! It means that importing car part from EU will be fun to do once these Jeeps get older! We really need to identify know our overseas members are and leverage there cool stock parts that are not available to us in the states. Like rear fog lights and such, I am sure there are more things

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
2 words

emissions
kommiefornia
Hmm I am not that sure. I did a small "google' search on the subject yesterday, and the issue seems more like big corporations blocking flux of diesel engines. In the end a diesel engine is more efficient and causes less pollution than a gasoline engine for equal amount of work. They have higher particulate emission, but with modern diesel fuel and emission systems, it is not higher than a gas engine (unless you bypass the system and coal-roll lol). Plus manufacturing and transport of diesel is cheaper and cause less pollution. As far as I understand, US based car manufactures want to keep small diesel engines away since they dont produce those kinds of small engines and dont want to go into the business of competing with EU or Asian produces that have been doing it for decades. Though there seems to be an increase, so they might eventually get into the buisness of producing, some like Ford or even Chevy have been producing such engines for cars for EU market. Other popular Asian brands like Toyota, Hondo, etc already offer those engines in Asia or EU.

Last edited by Tripod; 06-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Toy

Quote from motor1.com:
An anonymous source has clued us in to plans for a diesel version of the Jeep Compass.......Our source tells us that 14 of the small Jeep crossovers were fitted with Mercedes-Benz diesel four cylinder engines ......

What the heck are these guys writing? This article is far away from any reality. Compass MP are available with Diesel engines here in Europe since the first models rolled off the assembly line. There is a 1.6 and a 2.0 turbo diesel, all are made by Fiat Powertrain. FCA has no need to buy engines from Mercedes, because they build it in own plants for many years.

Compass Limited CRD, MY18, Pearl White, Leather Black, uConnect 8.4Nav & Beats Audio

覧覧覧覧覧-
German Jeep Forum for new Jeeps from MY14 and up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in