One Year Anniversary: Compass v Renegade - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

One Year Anniversary: Compass v Renegade

I just want to throw in my thought after owning a 2018 Compass Sport 2WD for a year.

I came from a 2015 Renegade and believe it or not, there's some significant differences. While the Renegade had a slightly tighter feel, the Compass is cushier and everything just seems slightly better placed. The slightly longer cargo area makes a big difference for me since I carry equipment in my job. What I noticed most of all and what really made me want to write this post is the transmission. The Renegade had the 9-speed auto. My Compass has the 6-speed auto which is only available in the Sport. It's a major difference! I'm sure most of you are aware of the history of complaints with the 9-speed. That is the sluggish acceleration, the unwillingness to downshift, the engine nearly coming to a stall at times, and not ever even getting it into 9th gear unless you're going 75mph downhill. I experienced all of that with the Renegade - a vehicle I really like otherwise. None of those issues are in my Compass. The 2.4L TigerShark is a much better engine than people think. It's the 9-speed transmission that makes it seem like a dog. While it's not at all sporty, my Compass accelerates from a stop or to pass at 70 mph without any problems. On top of that, I'm getting better gas mileage - especially on the highway. My Renegade never seemed to get more than 26 mpg in the best circumstances. My Compass gets 35 mpg cruising down a straight highway.

I also want to point out that in the 37,000 miles I got in my Renegade and the nearly 14,000 miles I have in my Compass, neither 2.4L engine ever seemed to have lost any oil. This problem that I see often in both forums doesn't happen to everybody.

Something needs to be done about that 9-speed transmission.

The attached photos were taken a year ago when I was trading in my Renegade for the Compass and had them next to each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compass001.jpg (80.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Compass003.jpg (56.3 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm with you! I have a sport with the 6 speed manual. The tigershark is very zippy. Fun even. I really think the 9 speed and the fancier Uconnect radio cause 75% of the complaints I've seen. I couldn't be happier with mine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in