My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Might paint my wheels. Need some opinions

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  eric 
#1 ·
I'm a big fan of the modern Jeep painted wheels. My stock alloy wheels look "nice" but are really kind of ho hum. I like the painted wheels you see on the higher trim Renegades and Compasses, so I spent some quality time in Photoshop digitally trying out some different paint ideas. I'm leaning towards the black and metal, but I can't decide. What do you guys think?

Original:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Motor vehicle

Metal:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Orange:

Red:

Single Orange:

See less See more
#2 ·
The black is boring; the tires are already black -- how much more black do we need?
The orange looks like you got them from a junkyard and they didn't match.
Single orange looks like a mistake.

IMHO using the body color is best leaving just enough silver to remind us they're metal and just a little black for contrast. So take your red/black image and add a touch of silver :super:

#4 ·
So my Compass is gray. What do I do with my wheels? Gray and silver are pretty low-contrast.
No black is your contrast or you pick an accent color and stick with it around the Jeep. By that I mean Plasti dip your emblems with your color choice as well.

Reactions: Jasmine
#5 ·
The black portion was based on Compass Trailhawk wheels, which are not that different from my "black and metal" picture:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

The orange/red idea came from this rendering of a Renegade "Urban" edition. The "single" spoke idea came from another picture on the allpar site.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Motor vehicle

(I had a link to the original Allpar page containing the image, but alas, I have not enough posts under by belt and had to remove it. *sigh*)

I think I'm leaning towards black and metal since I can easily do flat black in plastidip and reverse it if I don't like it.

#6 ·
Maybe its just that the orange clashes with the red in your original rendering. I kinda like the black/chrome wheels in your Trailhawk photo. Deep in my heart I still think those wheels might look even better with some body-color where the black is, or at least a little bit of the body color maybe outlining the black. Ah, I know, this is getting complex. You're probably no Picasso and neither am I.

I'm gonna ponder my vehicle a little longer. This was an emergency purchase since my previous Compass got totaled (maybe you saw my thread about that). This color was not my favorite but it was what they had on the lot and it wasn't white or black so it got the nod. I'm pondering a gold pinstripe and maybe some gold trim on those wheels too. I'm fairly conservative in my taste, but granite gray is a little too staid even for me.

#7 ·
I like the idea of black then one red spoke. I think it would look different and make you stand out in the sea of grandma compasses in the world at the moment.

PS: how are you going to paint these? If if it is something a normy could do like me I would be down to try and do mine. I have some of the elusive black factory rim covers that are hard to find that came on my compass. I would love to do something a little nicer for up close.

#8 ·
I like the Black and Metal with a bit more metal. Maybe flip the paint area and have a metal center and black outside. While you are painting have you considered a black and copper look? A red tint metal would look nice on red.

Jasmine, I agree with you on colors. I had my eye set on a blue or orange one. Both dealers weren't willing to move on price.

I have a gray sport. I do like the gray on the sport and don't like it on the latitude or limited. Sport and Trailhawk have black vs metal accents. Gray with the standard steelies give a nice off-road look and the gray cladding and black windows/wheels give a nice dark look. The metal throws it off on gray. Others have painted/swapped the grill inserts to complete the look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.