3Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By PopeyesJeepJeep
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry proxi alignment

I am trying to do a proxi alignment on my 2019 jeep compass sport. I am using the android version of AlfaOBD and obdlinkMX+ and installed the bypass module from infotaiment.com along with the gray adapter cable. I start the proxi alignment and all runs fine until i get to the part where it says turn mar off and connect gray adapter cable between obd port and obdlinkmx+ and wait for system checks to complete then turn mar to on . I get an error at this point. Alfaobd has lost communication start procedure over. I have tried at least 15 times with same result. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Erwin

Last edited by PopeyesJeepJeep; 08-16-2019 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 PM

If you have the blue adapter, you could go to the settings and try checking the box for "Use BLUE adapter with OBDLink.."

That is the only way mine works. Note that frustratingly you must go into settings and check this box EVERY TIME you use the app, I often forget and then it never asks me for the blue cable and my alignment fails.

If you have an android tablet or chromebook you could try that too, there might just be issues with the bluetooth on the device you are using. It is good to disable the bluetooth connection to the Uconnect and anything else you have nearby that uses bluetooth (smart watch, etc) because it seems the OBDLink is greedy and wants to be the ONLY bluetooth thing you are connected to. Some have troubles with this some don't, might depend on the phone.

I switched to a $35 android tablet from best buy and had more luck than using my phone. Somebody else chimed in a few weeks ago that it worked good on a chromebook and I bet that would be the best, because then you have a big screen and keyboard which makes it way easier to look through a huge configuration dump or log file, etc.

I'm hoping to eventually get a cheap chromebook to use with AlphaOBD BUT there is always the windows version that can be installed on a regular laptop too which is technically cheaper route (don't tell my wife!)
PopeyesJeepJeep likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face Re: Proxi Alignment 2019 Jeep Compass Sport

I just want to update this. I contacted Alfaobd Developer Alexey regarding my issue. I sent him the debug log and found to be that the infotainment bypass was not connecting to the middle can bus. He suggested I contact Infotainment, which I did and their response was "They Do Not support any product but their own". Hmm I thought ok then! Alexey sent me this ( There is a modification described on the
alfaobd.com for the z_automotive bypass for the same issue. I've been told that the bypasses from
infotainment and z_automotive are identical, so you can try the modification) I opened up the bypass and made the solder connects and hooked everything up. Ran some tests to connect to things with the gray adapter etc some worked some didn't. Then tried the proxi alignment whih failed 3 times. I left it for a bit and had a coffee came back and ran a proxi alignment again and it worked Jeep is back to normal. Big Shout out to Alexey at Alfaobd. Now I can do the mods turn off start stop, Twilight sensor enable for Auto headlights. oil life etc.
arudlang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeyesJeepJeep
Now I can do the mods turn off start stop, Twilight sensor enable for Auto headlights. oil life etc.
The oil life/info one never worked for me, I could enable it but nothing showed up anywhere in the cluster or radio. If you manage to get it to work on yours and actually show oil life info somewhere let us know.
n4cr2k likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeyesJeepJeep View Post
I just want to update this. I contacted Alfaobd Developer Alexey regarding my issue. I sent him the debug log and found to be that the infotainment bypass was not connecting to the middle can bus. He suggested I contact Infotainment, which I did and their response was "They Do Not support any product but their own". Hmm I thought ok then! Alexey sent me this ( There is a modification described on the
alfaobd.com for the z_automotive bypass for the same issue. I've been told that the bypasses from
infotainment and z_automotive are identical, so you can try the modification) I opened up the bypass and made the solder connects and hooked everything up. Ran some tests to connect to things with the gray adapter etc some worked some didn't. Then tried the proxi alignment whih failed 3 times. I left it for a bit and had a coffee came back and ran a proxi alignment again and it worked Jeep is back to normal. Big Shout out to Alexey at Alfaobd. Now I can do the mods turn off start stop, Twilight sensor enable for Auto headlights. oil life etc.
Fyi try not to use the bypass part and just use the OBDmx+. That is what I do and it connects with the body computer fine. I find that the connector cables usally make things worse and I only use the gray when it says. I use OBDmx+ to do the 1st part of the changes then proxy then when it says turn off and attach gray. I do what it asks(found it doesn't matter if you wait for the checks) and it either works or doesn't some times. I had bad luck and went on a 15 time failed abs module. Some times it works the 1st time some times it doesn't work, but overall you don't need a bypass module for our compasses. Maybe for diffent functions (looking at you Radio_nav menu options) but for proxy just use the OBDmx+ then use the gray cable when asked durring the alignment.

Source: me sitting in the hot car sweating and bitching while it fails over and over till it works randomly.

Ps: we don't know why the abs module fails so often. Infotainment system fails if you upload something that isn't available for your ecu.

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Compass2ndgenguy:

My 2019 Jeep Compass has the FCA Security Gateway Module. When I use the Alfaobd and obdmx+ I can not make any changes to the
body computer example I can see twilight sensor enable/disable but won't change the settings. I exit out and remove the fca gateway same thing. I install the infotainment security bypass module (that I had to mod) and then I can make changes. Does your Jeep have the FCA Security Module? I will try your suggestion again without the bypass module after removing the FCA security Module. Also I only use the gray cable when called for

Last edited by PopeyesJeepJeep; 08-18-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: correction
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is the infotainment security bypass module I need to install in place of the fca security gateway module that is factory. In order for this bypass module to read the middle can bus I had to open it and solder a wire across pins A1 and A2 then a wire across pins A8 and A9 as per Alexey at Alfaobd. Once this was done it read the middle can bus and I then was able to do the proxi alignment using the gray cable when called for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass.jpg (15.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by PopeyesJeepJeep; 08-18-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2019, 03:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeyesJeepJeep View Post
This is the infotainment security bypass module I need to install in place of the fca security gateway module that is factory. In order for this bypass module to read the middle can bus I had to open it and solder a wire across pins A1 and A2 then a wire across pins A8 and A9 as per Alexey at Alfaobd. Once this was done it read the middle can bus and I then was able to do the proxi alignment using the gray cable when called for.
Yes, I know how the module and what you need to do it to work. Guess we need to note the 2019 models are coming with FCA security enabled.

The 2017.5 and 2018 people with alfaobd hasn't needed the module yet. Glad you got it to work! Keep us updated and maybe post in the alfaobd area in this 2nd gen area. All post help!

If you need help with the app or getting to a setting let us know. We are getting pretty good with the app.

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in