3Likes
  • 1 Post By georgef
  • 1 Post By Apostolis
  • 1 Post By Apostolis

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Subscribing Member

Auto start / stop timing?

I have a 2019 and it's got the auto start/stop feature where the engine will stop at a red light to save idling gas, and then restart as soon as you take your foot off the brake.

I've been looking through the manual and the menus and I can't find a way to change the timing. I don't mind having it go off at a red light, but it's shutting off at every stop sign too. If I could change the delay to be like 10 second instead of 1, it would be great. Does anyone know if that's possible at all? I know I can shut it off completely, but I just want to be able to change the time that it takes to kick in and shut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros View Post
I have a 2019 and it's got the auto start/stop feature where the engine will stop at a red light to save idling gas, and then restart as soon as you take your foot off the brake.

I've been looking through the manual and the menus and I can't find a way to change the timing. I don't mind having it go off at a red light, but it's shutting off at every stop sign too. If I could change the delay to be like 10 second instead of 1, it would be great. Does anyone know if that's possible at all? I know I can shut it off completely, but I just want to be able to change the time that it takes to kick in and shut off.
No you cant.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Like Tripod said, there is no adjustment for that delay. Not even with AlfaOBD.

Before I disabled my ESS permanently, I had theorized that the way to "fix" the system would be to insert a man-in-the-middle microcontroller between the switch and the rest of the car. This microcontroller would need to know when the engine is running, either from being on the canbus or tapped into an injector or even making a best guess based on battery voltage (if its under 13.4v, 99% odds the engine is shut down).

So this micro would essentially default to mimicking the button press when you first start the car, to give you the "disabled by default" effect. Now, my proposed solution would say that one button press equals exactly one allowed ESS event. Meaning, you (the driver) come to a stop and you realize its going to be a long one, you press the button once and the microcontroller re-enables ESS but only for this one event. As soon as the motor restarts and you drive off, the micro disables ESS again and this is how we prevent un-wanted ESS events.

You could expand that, find a way to get the micro to be aware of vehicle speed, and use that with timing to decide "OK we have been stopped for 10 seconds lets turn ESS back on". I don't personally like that, because right about then is probably when the stoplight would go green and you'd be just as frustrated as you are at stop signs. You could maybe have the microcontroller give a little beep when you have been stopped for 10 seconds, to say "hey, maybe think about using ESS we've been stopped for a while". I am not a big fan of beeping things myself.

Just some ideas. Its all out there for anyone who is handy with an arduino. I just killed the ESS feature entirely with AlfaOBD and I'm happier all around that way. The studies that have been done show there is no fuel to be saved whatsoever except in very specific circumstances that are nothing like my daily driving. The ESS in this car was not designed to really work in earnest, it was designed to meet the bare minimum definition to get government credits and allow marketing to run wild pretending the car is "greener". The science says it totally doesn't work in the real world for most of us, just an FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Subscribing Member

Dang, well that sucks

yeah I'm not sold on the whole saving gas thing, maybe it works for some, who knows. And, is it bad like extra wear & tear always starting and stopping the engine so much? Maybe I'll look into that Alfa thing to shut it off completely. It's mostly just an annoyance sometimes (and I only had the compass 4 days so far). We'll see how I feel in a few months I guess. Maybe I just gotta get in the habit of hitting the A button when I do the parking break... I had to do that for my renegade that had the traction control bug.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
And, is it bad like extra wear & tear always starting and stopping the engine so much?
It should not, it has a starter motor design to function this way.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
...I don't mind having it go off at a red light, but it's shutting off at every stop sign too. If I could change the delay to be like 10 second instead of 1, it would be great...
This is my biggest complaint with the start stop system, where I drive, a delay of 3 seconds would be perfect. I can't seem to get the light pressure on the brake pedal trick to work consistently for me, so I tend to disable start stop when I am driving in an area with many stop signs.

2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
post #7 of 14 Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM

After seven months I finally have it in my muscle memory to turn the thing off after I start my car. Hopefully they come to their senses and make it an optional feature, or at least let us change the default to off.

Last edited by Bryan; 08-27-2019 at 07:07 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Looks strange that it does not work, in my compass it remembers the previous setting..

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 Old 08-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolis
Looks strange that it does not work, in my compass it remembers the previous setting..
For the ESS? No way! Every Compass (and Renegade, and Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler) that has come out with ESS it is always enabled when you first start up the car, no matter what. We have never heard of such a thing as a FCA car that "remembers" the ESS being disabled (without an aftermarket add-on).

Please confirm, and check the sticker on your drivers door and let use know the month/year of manufacture. This would be big news, if you are not mistaken. Video proof would be excellent.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
For the ESS? No way! Every Compass (and Renegade, and Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler) that has come out with ESS it is always enabled when you first start up the car, no matter what. We have never heard of such a thing as a FCA car that "remembers" the ESS being disabled (without an aftermarket add-on).

Please confirm, and check the sticker on your drivers door and let use know the month/year of manufacture. This would be big news, if you are not mistaken. Video proof would be excellent.
Maybe it remembers on export models?

Judging by the following post from another thread I assume that Apostolis has an export model:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolis View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2018 limited fwd 1.6lt diesel since mid November, so far ~1500km, really liked it's looks. My first Jeep and first diesel also!

arudlang likes this.

2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
post #11 of 14 Old 08-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Yes I have European variant so maybe there is difference in that point. In mine the Auto start stop keeps the previous state after engine shut/turn on, I can also make a video and show you. However there is no setting for this it just works that way.

arudlang likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 PM

You would think if it can work one way for models in one country and a different way for models in another country... there should be some setting buried for it! Not a normal user setting I mean something we should be able to switch with AlfaOBD. Perhaps if I just changed one of the country settings it would do it, I have not tried that. I probably won't bother for a while, I'm happy with ESS permanently disabled for the moment.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 AM

As promised I made a video you can hear the engine on and off and see how the auto start stop setting is kept

arudlang likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM

Yep, the models here in the USA definitely don't do that! I wonder if changing a country code somewhere in the body config would enable that, or if its just a setting of its own the developer of AlfaOBD hasn't tracked down and made available to us yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in