• 2 Post By Jasmine
  • 1 Post By Baja-D
  • 1 Post By eric
  • 1 Post By [email protected]

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 Old 09-03-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Subscribing Member

First service mileage?

So I have a new 2019. When I log into the jeep owner's site it says my next service should be 10,000 miles. But then, when I click the Recommended Maintenance link it lists the first service as 20,000 miles. So.. which is it?

Also on that note about how often can I expect to change the oil? On my 2015 Renegade it would tell me to change the oil every 6-7000 miles or so. I don't drive off road or anything, just regular city driving but my work commute is around 65 miles a day. Will the Compass be about the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necros View Post
So I have a new 2019. When I log into the jeep owner's site it says my next service should be 10,000 miles. But then, when I click the Recommended Maintenance link it lists the first service as 20,000 miles. So.. which is it?

Also on that note about how often can I expect to change the oil? On my 2015 Renegade it would tell me to change the oil every 6-7000 miles or so. I don't drive off road or anything, just regular city driving but my work commute is around 65 miles a day. Will the Compass be about the same?
I would change the oil at least once a year regardless of mileage.
Pucmeloud likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 12:22 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles. For the first change earlier is better. Synthetic should last longer than conventional, but no way I'd ever go to 10,000 miles, much less 20,000.

FYI, from what I've seen on this site (and experienced myself) I think you'll be bone dry by 5,000 miles. These new engines tend to gobble oil. I'm over 4,000 miles now and I've added 1/2 quart so far and I'm down 1/2 quart presently. I'll get my oil changed next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 01:26 AM

30k miles and no consumption problems right now. I go in every 4 months regardless of mileage - as low as 3k as high as 5k. It’s not a perfect ride so I err on the side of caution with it.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 03:14 AM

The website knows nothing, literally nothing, about your car and its ongoing health. The only reference worse than the website is the stupid sticker some dealerships put in the corner of the windshield. YOU have the most knowledge about the amount of time and conditions your car has experienced over any X given miles. The next most knowledgeable is the car computer, which keeps a duty-based track of how the car is driven, how hard and what temps, etc. When the car computer recommends an oil change you have let it go as long as you should.

Rough numbers, you should be checking the oil level every 2k miles and changing it about every 4k. That is just my opinion, some random guy on the internet and I have no time for justifying my credentials or defending my position against those who will say its excessive. You ask for opinion you get opinion, take it or leave it. But again, my opinion is you should change it every 4k.

All other types of service are referenced in the owner's manual, you should refer to that over the website as well. The website is just the newest version of the dealer's sticker in the windshield and the sad truth is they can't be relied on to track the book's recommendations, you really need to do that yourself or else something might get skipped and later on they might use that to dodge warranty work. FCA is really bad on ducking out on people on their warranties, its not like Honda.
jeepney_driver and Jco23 like this.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
i do every 5k, i just cant go more than that in my mind

2018 Compass Latitude
post #7 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Garage
Thats my plan every 5000-6,500 miles, I check every 1k for now with 11,500 on the odometer and my Jeep doesnt really use and oil. Maybe a half quart every 6500 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
i do every 5k, i just cant go more than that in my mind
arudlang likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
this is good info, as I'm used to getting my oil and oil filter changed twice a year (10K/year).

however, I read somewhere that the oil should be checked/changed after the first 500 miles? can someone please confirm that?

also, I noticed that there is an "Essential Care Plan" on Mopar that allows you to prepay for your oil changes. $185 for 2 years (4 services). this seems pretty good to me (keep in mind, that I have never changed my oil, but want to learn eventually). given that the oil/parts alone cost $45 each time, this seems like a no-brainer - or am I just being naive and buying into a sucker bet?

thanks!
post #9 of 25 Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jco23 View Post
this is good info, as I'm used to getting my oil and oil filter changed twice a year (10K/year).

however, I read somewhere that the oil should be checked/changed after the first 500 miles? can someone please confirm that?

also, I noticed that there is an "Essential Care Plan" on Mopar that allows you to prepay for your oil changes. $185 for 2 years (4 services). this seems pretty good to me (keep in mind, that I have never changed my oil, but want to learn eventually). given that the oil/parts alone cost $45 each time, this seems like a no-brainer - or am I just being naive and buying into a sucker bet?

thanks!
Its good to get your oil changed early, but IMHO 500 miles is excessively early. Yes, the oil level should be CHECKED at 500 miles, maybe even earlier. As you've probably seen on this thread and others, these new engines tend to use a lot of oil My 2018 Compass started out getting 1000/qt and gradually improved to 3000/qt by about 30,000 miles.

I got screwed on the Mopar pre-paid oil change. My 2018 Compass was totalled the day after her second oil change, and the pre-pay deal is NOT transferable (even though I bought a brand new 2019 Compass to replace it!!!) so I was out the money. It would have been nice if my dealer had honored it anyway, since they are the ones that sold it to me, but its a Mopar deal and they wouldn't do a thing for me. This dealership has been fair with me in other instances so I'm not POed, but I'm not pleased either. They can stand behind their policy, and I can (and will) get my oil changed elsewhere.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Its good to get your oil changed early, but IMHO 500 miles is excessively early. Yes, the oil level should be CHECKED at 500 miles, maybe even earlier. As you've probably seen on this thread and others, these new engines tend to use a lot of oil My 2018 Compass started out getting 1000/qt and gradually improved to 3000/qt by about 30,000 miles.

I got screwed on the Mopar pre-paid oil change. My 2018 Compass was totalled the day after her second oil change, and the pre-pay deal is NOT transferable (even though I bought a brand new 2019 Compass to replace it!!!) so I was out the money. It would have been nice if my dealer had honored it anyway, since they are the ones that sold it to me, but its a Mopar deal and they wouldn't do a thing for me. This dealership has been fair with me in other instances so I'm not POed, but I'm not pleased either. They can stand behind their policy, and I can (and will) get my oil changed elsewhere.
thanks for the feedback. I read that that the service is not transferable (unique to VIN #), so I'm fine with that. Worst case scenario, I'm out $185. Low risk, high reward in my book.

so when I go to check my oil at 500 miles, what should I be looking for? please keep in mind I've never really done this before, and I'm sure I could youtube/google it, but I'd like to see something specific for our model.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-12-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
Make there is oil in the cross hatch area on the dipstick, if not its using oil. If its below the crosshatch "safe" level add a quart

Quote:
thanks for the feedback. I read that that the service is not transferable (unique to VIN #), so I'm fine with that. Worst case scenario, I'm out $185. Low risk, high reward in my book.

so when I go to check my oil at 500 miles, what should I be looking for? please keep in mind I've never really done this before, and I'm sure I could youtube/google it, but I'd like to see something specific for our model.
Jco23 likes this.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Hopefully you won't total your Compass so it shouldn't matter. As for me, I think my dealer should have done something for me although they are not obligated to -- it would just be good customer relations. I've bought 8 vehicles from them since 2001. They should have said, "Hey Pal, we don't have to do this, but heck, we'll give you a free oil change just because we're sorry to hear about your wreck. Even if FCA is willing to screw you out of it, we won't." For $50 bucks they could be heroes; as it is, they settle into middle-of-the-pack. Funny, they usually send me a customer satisfaction survey via e-mail, but not this time. Hmm . . . I wonder why?

Quote:
If you're really new to car ownership and need basic instructions on checking the oil, I'd suggest taking a car-care seminar. It will give you a lot of basic hands-on information. Some dealers offer a one-evening class for free on a monthly basis for new owners; maybe also technical schools, and I think AAA probably does, too. Back in high school I took Drivers Ed and part of the class covered basic car care. I think there is a paragraph on checking the oil in the owner's manual. In fact, if you are new to car ownership, reading the manual is a "must." Everybody ought to read it, but especially a new owner.

Checking the oil level is pretty simple. The dipstick is on the passenger side at the front of the engine. Its got a yellow loop handle. After the engine has been off for a few minutes, pull out the stick and wipe it with a paper towel. Then insert it back down the tube, wait a couple seconds, and take it back out. Ideally you should see the oil level at or near the top of the hash marks. Being a new engine with clean and very thin oil, it may be difficult to see -- it might be easier to see the oil level on the back of the stick. As long as the oil level is within the span of the hash marks on the dipstick you're OK. That cross-hash area represents about 1 quart. Typically I won't add oil until its down near the bottom of the hash marks, then I'll add 1/2 quart. As long as the oil level is somewhere on the hash marks you're in the safe operating range. Don't overfill! Too much oil is just as bad as too little oil, but for different reasons.

Good luck! I hope you and your Compass are good to each other.
arudlang and Jco23 like this.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-13-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hopefully you won't total your Compass so it shouldn't matter. As for me, I think my dealer should have done something for me although they are not obligated to -- it would just be good customer relations. I've bought 8 vehicles from them since 2001. They should have said, "Hey Pal, we don't have to do this, but heck, we'll give you a free oil change just because we're sorry to hear about your wreck. Even if FCA is willing to screw you out of it, we won't." For $50 bucks they could be heroes; as it is, they settle into middle-of-the-pack. Funny, they usually send me a customer satisfaction survey via e-mail, but not this time. Hmm . . . I wonder why?

If you're really new to car ownership and need basic instructions on checking the oil, I'd suggest taking a car-care seminar. It will give you a lot of basic hands-on information. Some dealers offer a one-evening class for free on a monthly basis for new owners; maybe also technical schools, and I think AAA probably does, too. Back in high school I took Drivers Ed and part of the class covered basic car care. I think there is a paragraph on checking the oil in the owner's manual. In fact, if you are new to car ownership, reading the manual is a "must." Everybody ought to read it, but especially a new owner.

Checking the oil level is pretty simple. The dipstick is on the passenger side at the front of the engine. Its got a yellow loop handle. After the engine has been off for a few minutes, pull out the stick and wipe it with a paper towel. Then insert it back down the tube, wait a couple seconds, and take it back out. Ideally you should see the oil level at or near the top of the hash marks. Being a new engine with clean and very thin oil, it may be difficult to see -- it might be easier to see the oil level on the back of the stick. As long as the oil level is within the span of the hash marks on the dipstick you're OK. That cross-hash area represents about 1 quart. Typically I won't add oil until its down near the bottom of the hash marks, then I'll add 1/2 quart. As long as the oil level is somewhere on the hash marks you're in the safe operating range. Don't overfill! Too much oil is just as bad as too little oil, but for different reasons.

thanks for the detailed response.

not new to car ownership, just haven't really had the time to dedicate towards learning car engine mechanics (translation: never really made it a priority). i have performed other car repairs myself (like replacing a sideview mirror on wife's SUV, replacing tailgate button, replacing interior lights, etc.).
post #14 of 25 Old 09-17-2019, 04:34 PM

3 months and 2700 miles so far. After reading this thread, I checked the owners manual and it says to check the oil 5 minutes after turning off a warmed-up engine. I did and it was about 1/4 above the lower mark in the cross hatched area. Not sure where it started though. Likely guess is at around the 1/2 to 3/4 full mark so possibly using at a 1 qt per 5K-10K mile rate. I will first change oil at 5K and then every 10K afterwards however sounds like I should initially monitor it for consumption more frequently.

Edit Update: Filled the oil up to the upper level on the dip stick so I can better monitor consumption. Checked it both cold and then the 5 minutes after warm up and did not see a significant difference for the mark.

Baja-D
arudlang likes this.

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.

Last edited by Baja-D; 09-18-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: More info...
post #15 of 25 Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 AM

Wow, if I was that salesman, I think I would have worked something out with the sales manager. What's $185 to a dealer making a return sale?

2018 Sport 6 speed stick!
post #16 of 25 Old 10-25-2019, 02:01 AM

Thanks for highlighting the $185 service plan. Just bought one as my oil change notification came on

Process was super easy at my local dealer.

I highly recommend the plan if you are going to use 4 synthetic oil changes in 2 years. FCA apparently pays the dealer 50 per oil change and needs most buyers to use it 3 times or less out of 4 to make money.

Synthetic oil should last 10k miles per change and most people drive around 12k per year. Short stops, city driving and high engine idle time will shorten that time, but you probably need high mileage or a lot of city time with high run time and low mileage to use all 4 in two years.

Dont buy it the plan at the finance office. Wait for the first oil change notification and then buy it.
Jco23 likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-25-2019, 03:12 AM

Garage
Quote:

The one thing that was not mentioned when checking the oil level is that the Jeep should be on level ground. The slope of my driveway can vary the oil level on the dipstick by as much as 1/4 of an inch.
Jasmine likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-25-2019, 03:19 PM

could the 20,000 value be in kilometers?
Although I'm in Canada and we read in kilometers but even then wouldn't go past 10,000km max (usually change around 8000 on all my vehicles and have not had any issues).
post #19 of 25 Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 PM

I get mine done at the dealer every 6 months. $53.00.

2018 Latitude
post #20 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Garage
Do the 5k for your first oil change. Consider that first oil as break in oil where most of the leftover microscopic pieces of metal will be cleansed out. Then you can do 7500 mile changes if you use full synthetic oil. 3k if you use regular oil. Do follow the recommended viscosity for your engine. Newer engines require lighter oil because of vvt, multiair or some other hydraulic schemes.

Most important is clean air. Make sure you change or at least clean the air filter regularly. It is the abrasive dust in the air that will kill your pistons, piston rings and cylinders much quicker than "dirty" oil.

It also helps to use upper cylinder lube in the fuel. Mandatory for mine laying and mine detecting marine engines I was told. There are many kinds but I use the cheapest one. MMO. I think it works. My engine has over 290000 miles and still runs like new.

I hope this helps

p.s.
Always check your oil regularly. don't let it go down more than a quart. Never rely on idiot lights. It is an indication that something is seriously wrong. It was never meant to be an oil level light. It has to do with oil pressure. NO OIL PRESSURE USUALLY MEANS NO OIL. NO OIL, YOUR ENGINE WAS KILLED.... by you!
Hehe

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 10-29-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 PM

I have a 2018 compass 4x4 2.4L 9 speed auto, and after a lot o reading in a lot of forums the best advice is do an old break in metod on this engine, do the first 1k miles changing speed try not use the cruise control, dont flor the gas pedal, dont dreak hard etc, after 1k miles change oil and filter, after that every 6000 miles or 1 year the first thing, i have 25.000 miles no oil consumption, check regulary oil level 5 minutes after engine stop itís what it says in the manual, and never overfill, is worst than a low level.
Good luck.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficob View Post
I have a 2018 compass 4x4 2.4L 9 speed auto, and after a lot o reading in a lot of forums the best advice is do an old break in metod on this engine, do the first 1k miles changing speed try not use the cruise control, dont flor the gas pedal, dont dreak hard etc, after 1k miles change oil and filter, after that every 6000 miles or 1 year the first thing, i have 25.000 miles no oil consumption, check regulary oil level 5 minutes after engine stop itís what it says in the manual, and never overfill, is worst than a low level.
Good luck.
Owners manual suggest flooring the gas pedal during break in.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Owners manual suggest flooring the gas pedal during break in.
Advice is varied on break-in techniques. Chrysler has been recommending several full-throttle accelerations in the first 200 miles since I got my Volare back in '77; for a manual transmission they recommended to do it from as low as it would take high gear and accelerate to the legal limit. I think the idea was to put a few loads on the engine while it was new to get everything to fully seat. My Dad scoffed and said to always drive a new car easy at first. A Chevy dealer back in '84 said to break it in the way you're gonna drive it: if you want it to be a fast car then drive it hard from the start / if fuel economy is important then drive it super-easy during the break-in.

Everyone agrees that speed should be varied during the break-in period, i.e. no cruise control and probably stay off the expressways unless you can range between 40-55 MPH for the first few hundred miles. That's pretty hard to do. Personally I like the idea of a few full-throttle accelerations, but not crazyman stuff; more like when pulling onto an expressway, like maybe 35-65MPH. Also, I don't let it idle for long periods of time or race the engine under a light load. FWIW.

Last edited by Jasmine; 10-30-2019 at 02:14 AM.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 AM

Not to be a broken record repeating myself but I didn't start this, so since we are talking about engine break-in theory AGAIN I will throw my two cents in (AGAIN) and say that I think doing a bunch of pulls with a heavy trailer hitched up is the best break-in medicine you can get, starting right after the 600 mile mark.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 04:31 AM

Garage
Yes, I floored her during the break in. Been working good after that.
NO PROBLEMS. I just make sure she is kept well oiled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in