My Jeep Compass Forum banner

First service mileage?

9K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  jeepney_driver 
#1 ·
So I have a new 2019. When I log into the jeep owner's site it says my next service should be 10,000 miles. But then, when I click the Recommended Maintenance link it lists the first service as 20,000 miles. So.. which is it?

Also on that note about how often can I expect to change the oil? On my 2015 Renegade it would tell me to change the oil every 6-7000 miles or so. I don't drive off road or anything, just regular city driving but my work commute is around 65 miles a day. Will the Compass be about the same?

#3 ·
I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles. For the first change earlier is better. Synthetic should last longer than conventional, but no way I'd ever go to 10,000 miles, much less 20,000.

FYI, from what I've seen on this site (and experienced myself) I think you'll be bone dry by 5,000 miles. These new engines tend to gobble oil. I'm over 4,000 miles now and I've added 1/2 quart so far and I'm down 1/2 quart presently. I'll get my oil changed next week.

#5 ·

The website knows nothing, literally nothing, about your car and its ongoing health. The only reference worse than the website is the stupid sticker some dealerships put in the corner of the windshield. YOU have the most knowledge about the amount of time and conditions your car has experienced over any X given miles. The next most knowledgeable is the car computer, which keeps a duty-based track of how the car is driven, how hard and what temps, etc. When the car computer recommends an oil change you have let it go as long as you should.

Rough numbers, you should be checking the oil level every 2k miles and changing it about every 4k. That is just my opinion, some random guy on the internet and I have no time for justifying my credentials or defending my position against those who will say its excessive. You ask for opinion you get opinion, take it or leave it. But again, my opinion is you should change it every 4k.

All other types of service are referenced in the owner's manual, you should refer to that over the website as well. The website is just the newest version of the dealer's sticker in the windshield and the sad truth is they can't be relied on to track the book's recommendations, you really need to do that yourself or else something might get skipped and later on they might use that to dodge warranty work. FCA is really bad on ducking out on people on their warranties, its not like Honda.

#8 ·
this is good info, as I'm used to getting my oil and oil filter changed twice a year (10K/year).

however, I read somewhere that the oil should be checked/changed after the first 500 miles? can someone please confirm that?

also, I noticed that there is an "Essential Care Plan" on Mopar that allows you to prepay for your oil changes. $185 for 2 years (4 services). this seems pretty good to me (keep in mind, that I have never changed my oil, but want to learn eventually). given that the oil/parts alone cost $45 each time, this seems like a no-brainer - or am I just being naive and buying into a sucker bet?

thanks!

#9 ·
Its good to get your oil changed early, but IMHO 500 miles is excessively early. Yes, the oil level should be CHECKED at 500 miles, maybe even earlier. As you've probably seen on this thread and others, these new engines tend to use a lot of oil My 2018 Compass started out getting 1000/qt and gradually improved to 3000/qt by about 30,000 miles.

I got screwed on the Mopar pre-paid oil change. My 2018 Compass was totalled the day after her second oil change, and the pre-pay deal is NOT transferable (even though I bought a brand new 2019 Compass to replace it!!!) so I was out the money. It would have been nice if my dealer had honored it anyway, since they are the ones that sold it to me, but its a Mopar deal and they wouldn't do a thing for me. This dealership has been fair with me in other instances so I'm not POed, but I'm not pleased either. They can stand behind their policy, and I can (and will) get my oil changed elsewhere.

#14 · (Edited)
3 months and 2700 miles so far. After reading this thread, I checked the owners manual and it says to check the oil 5 minutes after turning off a warmed-up engine. I did and it was about 1/4 above the lower mark in the cross hatched area. Not sure where it started though. Likely guess is at around the 1/2 to 3/4 full mark so possibly using at a 1 qt per 5K-10K mile rate. I will first change oil at 5K and then every 10K afterwards however sounds like I should initially monitor it for consumption more frequently.

Edit Update: Filled the oil up to the upper level on the dip stick so I can better monitor consumption. Checked it both cold and then the 5 minutes after warm up and did not see a significant difference for the mark.

Baja-D

#16 ·
Thanks for highlighting the $185 service plan. Just bought one as my oil change notification came on

Process was super easy at my local dealer.

I highly recommend the plan if you are going to use 4 synthetic oil changes in 2 years. FCA apparently pays the dealer 50 per oil change and needs most buyers to use it 3 times or less out of 4 to make money.

Synthetic oil should last 10k miles per change and most people drive around 12k per year. Short stops, city driving and high engine idle time will shorten that time, but you probably need high mileage or a lot of city time with high run time and low mileage to use all 4 in two years.

Dont buy it the plan at the finance office. Wait for the first oil change notification and then buy it.

#20 · (Edited)
Do the 5k for your first oil change. Consider that first oil as break in oil where most of the leftover microscopic pieces of metal will be cleansed out. Then you can do 7500 mile changes if you use full synthetic oil. 3k if you use regular oil. Do follow the recommended viscosity for your engine. Newer engines require lighter oil because of vvt, multiair or some other hydraulic schemes.

Most important is clean air. Make sure you change or at least clean the air filter regularly. It is the abrasive dust in the air that will kill your pistons, piston rings and cylinders much quicker than "dirty" oil.

It also helps to use upper cylinder lube in the fuel. Mandatory for mine laying and mine detecting marine engines I was told. There are many kinds but I use the cheapest one. MMO. I think it works. My engine has over 290000 miles and still runs like new.

I hope this helps

p.s.
Always check your oil regularly. don't let it go down more than a quart. Never rely on idiot lights. It is an indication that something is seriously wrong. It was never meant to be an oil level light. It has to do with oil pressure. NO OIL PRESSURE USUALLY MEANS NO OIL. NO OIL, YOUR ENGINE WAS KILLED.... by you!
Hehe

#21 ·
I have a 2018 compass 4x4 2.4L 9 speed auto, and after a lot o reading in a lot of forums the best advice is do an old break in metod on this engine, do the first 1k miles changing speed try not use the cruise control, dont flor the gas pedal, dont dreak hard etc, after 1k miles change oil and filter, after that every 6000 miles or 1 year the first thing, i have 25.000 miles no oil consumption, check regulary oil level 5 minutes after engine stop it’s what it says in the manual, and never overfill, is worst than a low level.
Good luck.

#24 ·
Not to be a broken record repeating myself but I didn't start this, so since we are talking about engine break-in theory AGAIN I will throw my two cents in (AGAIN) and say that I think doing a bunch of pulls with a heavy trailer hitched up is the best break-in medicine you can get, starting right after the 600 mile mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.