Cargo - watch the weight - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By smongold
  • 1 Post By smongold

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Cargo - watch the weight

Just sharing a lesson learned to hopefully keep someone else from learning it the hard way. Interior quarter panel broke when I was getting a bunch of tile loaded into the cargo area. Didn't really think about what supported the platform on top of the spare tire. Suffice it to say that it is two little plastic ledges on the quarter panels that are not designed to support much weight. Groceries - good ; 100s of pounds of new tile for the foyer - less good.

Anyhow, new quarter panel cost me ~$180 at Jeep Dealership (can find them for ~$120 at Mopar Online). Replacement was a bigger project than I originally thought. Had to remove the entire back seat (upper and lower) to get the job done. Once again, I wasn't smart enough to take pics all along the way, but I've attached a few for your amusement.

Finally, I also built a little support block for on top of the spare tire to help share some of the load in the event I want to get more tile (or something heavy like it) again.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190913_152536.jpg (41.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190913_124947.jpg (32.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20190913_124934.jpg (32.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20190913_171809.jpg (29.9 KB, 52 views)
Baja-D likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Wow, that's good to know

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quite a mess you got into. Thanks for posting the photos. While not complete they will give anyone else an idea of what they're in for. I loaded up my Patriot with kitchen tiles a few years ago and got away with it. Maybe because I flipped my seats and had a good share of the weight up front, plus Wife & me. I'm sure I was over the 900lb capacity. I got a lot of creaks and groans on the corners and every oncoming car flashed their headlights at me. I guess I wouldn't do it again.

The wooden support is a good idea. These new vehicles have a lot of plastic parts, and you found the breaking point. The support should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 03:39 PM

Proof that our cars are not designed for heavy lifting. I traded in my truck for the Jeep (still happy I did that!) so I have a tenancy to try to use it like a truck. But for really heavy things, renting a truck from Lowes for $20 is worth it. I live close to Lowes so the 90 minute window is easy to stay in. Thanks for reporting this so I know not to over do it!

2018 Sport 6 speed stick!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Thank you for sharing that is helpful to know, I also pretend it is a truck sometimes and I'm surprised I haven't reached that breaking point as well, I'll keep this in mind the next time I am loading a lot of weight. The trailer is a little extra work and more than once I've done things where I knew I should have hooked up the trailer but I was in a hurry. Having just a small simple utility trailer makes all the difference for us getting truck jobs done without a truck in the household but you have to take the two extra minutes to hook it up and drag it around.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Thank you for sharing that is helpful to know, I also pretend it is a truck sometimes and I'm surprised I haven't reached that breaking point as well, I'll keep this in mind the next time I am loading a lot of weight. The trailer is a little extra work and more than once I've done things where I knew I should have hooked up the trailer but I was in a hurry. Having just a small simple utility trailer makes all the difference for us getting truck jobs done without a truck in the household but you have to take the two extra minutes to hook it up and drag it around.
I am also someone who went from a truck to a 2nd gen Compass. Bought an aftermarket trailer hitch and learned that I would need to buy a drop hitch and flip it to raise the ball up six inches just to use my small utility trailer. Whats worse is my hitch mount bike carrier cannot be used without an extension as it rubs the hatch. Living in Alabama, the hills are abundant and the little Compass struggles to pull the trailer loaded with a riding mower up some of the larger, steeper hills.

As far as using the cargo area, at least you have a spare tire. I learned the hard way that I only have some "special" air compressor with a tire sealant under the panel.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up. 100 lbs doesn't seem like much. I often carry heavy loads so will check the tray/tire area for a modification ASAP.

Baja-D

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Please advise how thick the wood was at the very back?

Edit Update: Taking a yard stick and going across the back between the two plastic ledges it looks like 4 inches to the top of the tire.

Thanks,
Baja-D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Wood Support Picture.jpg (28.4 KB, 11 views)

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.

Last edited by Baja-D; 09-26-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: More information...
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ss454
Living in Alabama, the hills are abundant and the little Compass struggles to pull the trailer loaded with a riding mower up some of the larger, steeper hills.
Using manual shift mode will help a lot with hills, you can hold gears longer to stay in the power-band and stay out of the deep overdrives as there is not enough torque to get into 7th/8th/9th when hauling a heavy load. Heck, you can't hardly get into 8th just with an empty Thule cargo box on the top! 8th gear pretty much only works effectively if the car is empty other than you.*

* At least, on the limited trim with the taller final drive ratio.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-28-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I didn't measure it to engineer the wood support I made, just stacked boards and screwed them together when it was close enough to take load before the plastic gave way. After measuring it up, it's about 2" at the front (side closest to the rear seats) and about 1.25" at the back (nearest the lift gate).
Baja-D likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-01-2019, 01:28 PM

yeah this car is a "light duty" or as flimsy as they come lol.
not even sure how this justifies as a jeep or off-road vehicle, its about as off-road as a journey.
but its still a new cheap car get me by for a few years with hopefully minimal issues (will see about that, doesn't have a great track record for reliability or fuel efficiency either).
this car looks great though :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in