• 2 Post By arudlang
  • 2 Post By 10-64
  • 1 Post By Tripod
  • 2 Post By Jasmine
  • 2 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Uncomfortable headrest ...

For the past year and a half our headrest has literally been a pain in the neck. The crash test dummy IIHS modeled these after must have poor back posture. Before taking on this project, my main concern was the safety aspect. I did a bunch of research and was able to find the IIHS guidelines and other articles on “how to properly adjust head restraint”, stating the distance from the head to the rest anything up to 2 ¾”” is optimal and anything past 4” is considered marginal. I used these measurements as a baseline for how much I could bend the rods. I made a simple wooden box out of 2x4’s and plywood and screwed it to my workbench. I also removed the cloth cover not to damage it. After a few cautious bends, I was able to get what I felt was within 2”. Our head still makes contact, so I'm happy with the results. Now we can drive with our seats more upright (as intended) instead of reclining it so far back, which to me compromises drivability.

https://www.iihs.org/media/dc027e6e-...col_static.pdf
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rash/index.htm
https://www.cars.com/articles/how-to...1420663027148/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2359.jpg (47.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2342.jpg (16.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2365.jpg (54.0 KB, 22 views)

stock 2018 Compass Sport 2wd Jazz Blue Appearance and Tech. Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Do the seats in the other trims not have adjustable headrests? Ours just ratchet forward and backward, no bending required to get either of the angles you showed...

Free fixes are good, I wonder how much it would have cost to buy the adjustable headrests.
10-64 and Jasmine like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

ours is a sport model with cloth seats. in the very first picture, the headrest is ratcheted as far back as it can go. I actually purchased a used leather one from a Latitude thinking it would be different, but it wasn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
I wonder if this affects the integrity of the head rest, if you're involved in a collision?
I'm not sure insurance would cover a personal injury claim if it was determined that the head rest was "modified"?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
lundy and Tripod like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes, valid statement, that was definitely a concern and another reason I purchased a spare one to experiment with. Not knowing what metal is used, I did my best not to overstress it and bend as little as possible. I have some experience with bending electrical conduits, small pipe tubing, construction rods, etc. and how the metal reacts to bending. These rods don’t bend easily, hence the two white extension pipes I used. I took my time and went slowly not to generate heat, weather that made a difference, I don’t know, but at least I took it into account. I didn’t notice any stress fractures or chipped coating at the bending points. I did notice they “spring back” which made it tricky to get symmetry. The black foam mold/casing didn’t show any signs of damage either. In my case with such a short distance bend, I don’t think it compromised the metal that much. We also set the headrest as low as possible to keep the leverage point at a minimum, but still within the adjustment guidelines. I would like to think my precautions minimized any negative effects and kept the integrity within the original safety margin of design.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
I wonder if this affects the integrity of the head rest, if you're involved in a collision?
I'm not sure insurance would cover a personal injury claim if it was determined that the head rest was "modified"?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Also, after a severe collision, headrests are designed to tilt forward with the the impact (similar to how they do if you pull them forwards) to hold the neck and prevent a whiplash injury (imagine both the head and headrest moving forward at the same time). Changing the angle of the headrest can cause the head and the headrest to meet at a strange angle (like headrest being too "perpendicular" to the head) and cause more damage to the neck.

You can see it at the ~1:15 mark of this crash test video.

Jco23 likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 09-24-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 08:05 PM

Looks like they may have changed the design on the 2019 Compass Sport models. Ours is adjustable over a wide range. All the way back is still about 2 inches from my head and totally forward is in the way.

Baja-D

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 02:14 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Do the seats in the other trims not have adjustable headrests? Ours just ratchet forward and backward, no bending required to get either of the angles you showed.
I agree. See page 48 of your owner's manual. https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...19-compass.pdf
I don't think bending them was a good idea. I hope you never need them.

I wish you'd come here first. That's why the forum exists.
10-64 and Tripod like this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-25-2019 at 02:17 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM

I wonder if the real issue was more lack of adjustment in the seat, I cannot believe how many directions you can adjust the electric power seat plus the bolster/lumbar, it takes some fiddling and I really wish it had a couple preset memory options, but my wife and I think they are very comfortable especially for long trips. Then again the passenger seat is not power-adjust and we like that seat just fine so I don't know.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I wonder if the real issue was more lack of adjustment in the seat, I cannot believe how many directions you can adjust the electric power seat plus the bolster/lumbar, it takes some fiddling and I really wish it had a couple preset memory options, but my wife and I think they are very comfortable especially for long trips. Then again the passenger seat is not power-adjust and we like that seat just fine so I don't know.

They have memory settings for EU models (plus passenger seat is also power adjusted). I wonder why they didnt put at least the memory to the US model, I cant imagine it costs more than $10 to put a switch.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
They have memory settings for EU models (plus passenger seat is also power adjusted). I wonder why they didnt put at least the memory to the US model, I cant imagine it costs more than $10 to put a switch.
I'd be guessing its another one of the things on the list that were held back solely to keep the north american Compass from wiping the floor with the Cherokee.

If they would have given the Compass full access to the options that are available to the Cherokee (Memory seat/cooled seats/passenger power seat/etc plus all the other Cherokee-and-higher-only-goodies) the north american Cherokee sales numbers would have plummeted like a rock in a lake.
lundy and Tripod like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in