2018-2019 jeep compass firewall passthrough w/picts - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

2018-2019 jeep compass firewall passthrough w/picts

Just bought my daughter a new 2019 JEEP Compass High Altitude. Can't believe they dropped the ball in NOT equipping this thing with forward collision sensors. Or rear warning sensors for that matter. She's coming out of a BMW that had front sensors & rear sensors w/ camera but she likes to HEAR that warning while spun around in her seat backing up.... (camera useless in that position).

Anyhoo..... I already tapped into her reverse lamp wiring to install a simple license plate frame w/sensors to compliment her camera. Getting ready to install a forward facing camera at the nose and in searching the entire World Wide Web there is not one, zero, zilch, nada, none single walkthrough or even mention how to get through the firewall to send accessory wires or whatever through.

SURE.... Plenty of Wrangler write-ups and picts but the Compass isn't so accommodating as offering a little spongy hole at the A-pillar area passenger side door. So with my journey under the hood I decided to post the location (with Picts) of the exact location and technique I used in getting my way through a 2019 JEEP Compass firewall..... so here ya go......

First: Pop The Hood
Then: Look to the drivers side back wall, just below the cowel and behind the fuse box.
See that black plastic shield held against the upper firewall with the 5 pin clips? There's a recess behind that where there's a huge grommet that most of the wiring under the hood is bundled and sent through. If you contort your body under the drivers side dash and feel for that wire bundle you'd follow it right to that grommet but poking through at that location would result in a a dead end. You must remove that "shield" under the cowel before sending wires through. Oh and save yourself a sprained wrist and poke the grommet from the engine side with wire taped to your poker and pull it through the interior. I used 5 metal BBQ Skewers one next to the other in order to pierce a big enough hole in the rubber to fit 3 wires into. This was a big enough protrusion for my wires but not so big there was wiggle room around them. After pulling my 5 skewers I taped a wire to one and poked it through.... 3 times. after pulling the skewer out the rubber would close up on the wire making for a nice tight, zero air or water infiltration fit. No need to silicone a thing (as if you could anyway at those depths and angles).

So now for the folks like me who needs to see what the heck I'm talking about..... Here ya go.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firewall Shield.jpg (109.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Compass Firewall Access Closed2.jpg (97.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Compass Firewall Access Poked.jpg (55.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Open Access.jpg (104.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Firewall w:wires.jpg (57.0 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-02-2019, 03:50 AM

Excellent mod and write-up and photos to boot!!!

I'll be considering this mod, so thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in