My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Mpg

10K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  lattyd 
#1 ·
curious to see what y'all are getting for MPG?

I only have about 1100 miles, and I'm at 24 MPG. my understanding is that it takes several thousand miles to "break the car in" before it can reach it's optimal fuel efficiency. can someone confirm?

thanks!

#3 ·
I’m in UK with 2018 1.4 Turbo petrol auto 4x4 with 4,500 miles when I bought it 3 weeks ago - so far I get 38mpg on a run and 33mpg overall with mixed driving. Although it’s supposed to be 9 speed I think it’s mainly 6 speed as usually starts in 2nd and seems to stay top in 7th (I’ve not gone over 70mph speed limit) - I’m guessing 8/9 are high speed.

#4 ·
I average about 26 in the spring/summer/fall and I have a fairly heavy foot ( okay, a really heavy foot.. side note: sand mode basically doubles as a "sport" mode =P ). It all goes out the window once winter comes, winter blended fuel and lots of idling via remote start...

On road trips we get about 28 MPG average, if the weather is in our favor (mainly wind) might get 30-32 but can never count on that working out. If we throw our huge cargo box on then we are lucky to get 24 on the highway, even in great weather.

36k miles on ours now, 2.4L limited with the 9 speed and 4x4.

#6 ·
have my 2019 sport manual.
driving within the limits of the law and trying to avoid all the congestion average about 9.8 litres per 100km. not very fuel efficient for a 4 cylinder but have to keep in mind the engine is not the right one to have in a heavy SUV it way too under powered. the pentastar V6 which you can get in the cherokees is much better and I asked for that when they built my compass but chrysler said absolutely can't get it unfortunately.

#8 ·
mdram4x4 said:
weight/hp is very similar
cherokee vs compass
4500/270 vs 3200/180
That is true but it is an over-simplification that does not tell the whole story. Peak numbers are kinda useless to talk about for daily driving, we are hardly ever using our engine's peak power output. The V6 cherokee probably makes our "peak" power before it even hits 3.5k RPM, and it has buckets more torque across the whole rev range, so the V6 is going to move even a heavier car much more calmly and gracefully vs us having to pin it to 6k just to keep up with traffic.

#12 ·
mdram4x4 said:
6k? please be realistic
mdram4x4 said:
i have stated this more than once on here
the compass seems designed for 55-60mph with cruise comtrol
It is no highway fighter, thats for sure. If you drive like an old lady, its just adequate (only just).

Sure, I've had a couple hundred miles holding a 38 MPG average on a 55 MPH backroad, but that is no longer the standard environment for many of us. SPEED is here on our american highways, and its here to stay. Most 55s around here are turning to 60 MPH posted roads with folks averaging 65 actual speed. Lots of 75 and even 80 MPH four lanes across the country. Pitter-pattering 55 down a two-lane is becoming just something you might do for a few moments at the start or end of a journey to get to a modern road or make that last little bit to your destination. You can't sell a vehicle "designed" for 55 anymore, thats no longer the lay of the land. Things need to go 75 and they need to do it without too much effort or high-RPM drama. We got places to be and things to see. I can tell you for sure we will never buy another car that so desperately wants to live in the slow lane, and I will flog it 6k RPMs till she blows or achieves the necessary result. Thats what I change the oil so often for.

#13 ·
Things need to go 75 and they need to do it without too much effort or high-RPM drama. We got places to be and things to see. I can tell you for sure we will never buy another car that so desperately wants to live in the slow lane, and I will flog it 6k RPMs till she blows or achieves the necessary result. Thats what I change the oil so often for.
Drive like Hell: you'll get there!

#18 ·
2017 Trailhawk with 34,500... I average just a bit over 21 overall. Mixed city/hwy. I love my car, but the mpg is the most disappointing part of the car for me. I was really hoping to be better than 25 overall with a compact SUV like this one. Love absolutely everything else about it though, so I'm not complaining in the least... just saying.

#19 ·
smongold said:
I love my car, but the mpg is the most disappointing part of the car for me. I was really hoping to be better than 25 overall with a compact SUV like this one. Love absolutely everything else about it though, so I'm not complaining in the least... just saying.
I agree. Great MPG was supposed to be what we received in trade for not having a fast, powerful V6, in reality we got neither. My four door S10 Blazer got only slightly worse gas mileage but had mountains more power, I knew I would miss the torque but figured getting huge MPG numbers would make up for it, then reality kicks in and you don't actually get huge MPG numbers unless you only drive 56 MPH with no hills in perfect conditions. Womp womp.

#22 ·
So anyway if I want to get great gas mileage here's what I do:
I use my cruise control a lot.
I don't stomp on the gas pedal.
I make sure my tire pressure is correct even adding 1 psi more than required. It won't do any harm.
I try to coast before stopping at the red light.
I try not to brake too hard. Remember that the gas you used to accelerate that vehicle is energy wasted as heat when you brake (assuming that you are driving on level ground. Worse when you are driving up an incline, free if you are going down)

Driving style affects mpg a lot.

#25 ·
jeepney_driver said:
I use my cruise control a lot.
Cruise control probably works better in the older CVT or any of the manual trans Compasses, but its not worth a hoot with the 9 speed auto. Too much frequent downshifting on the highway when you encounter a hill, or a breeze, or bump into a fly with your windshield...

jeepney_driver said:
I try to coast before stopping at the red light.
I try not to brake too hard.
Good habits.

jeepney_driver said:
Driving style affects mpg a lot.
Very true but where you live has a lot of influence on how you must drive, many parts of the world have a slower pace of life than others. People who have to do a lot of 75 MPH freeway driving and merging on ramps don't have the luxury of putsing around to get better gas mileage.

#27 ·
Cruise control probably works better in the older CVT or any of the manual trans Compasses, but its not worth a hoot with the 9 speed auto. Too much frequent downshifting on the highway when you encounter a hill, or a breeze, or bump into a fly with your windshield...
works just fine, i use it every day. sure it will downshift at times, all trans will

#28 ·
mdram4x4 said:
works just fine, i use it every day. sure it will downshift at times, all trans will
I'd be willing to believe its a touch better in the Latitude and TH trims, since they have lower final drive gear ratios than the Limited trim, but either way its still going to downshift way more than a traditional 4 speed auto tied to a V6. There is simply not enough torque in the lower RPM range of the 2.4, combine that with really tall gearing in my Limited trim and piss-poor transmission programming and you get downshifts for every slight breeze and almost every hill.

If I put my roof rack and Thule cargo box on, the effect becomes nearly unbearable. You absolutely cannot use cruise control with this thing on a 70+ MPH highway with a large cargo box unless you stick it into manual/auto-stick mode. If you don't, it bounces between 7th and 8th gear non-stop for miles and miles on end, even if you are going downhill. Even if you aren't using cruise, the constant downshifts are a problem with the cargo box.

Am I exaggerating slightly? Absolutely. My frustration is not an exaggeration, however.

If I ever get my hands on some kind of tool that can tweak transmission parameters, I am going to set this thing to hold every gear longer and lock out 8th unless you are going at least 80 MPH. That would pretty much cure it. The tools exist for other FCA vehicles (hptuners mpvi2), they just haven't quite matured for the ZF9 yet, but they will and I will be waiting. One day there will be enough tools to poke and prod this half-baked car into a really good machine.

#29 ·
I'm not surprised that certain trim levels and combos have poor programming since they offer 20+ combinations of engines, transmissions, and final drive ratios in the 2nd gen compass across the world. A few of those combinations are bound to slip through the cracks and not get the attention that they should have, vs something like the Chrysler 300 with only maybe 4 combos of engines and transmissions, there is enough time to allow the engineering department to get everything right on each variation there.

#30 ·
I recently took a trip from NH to Virginia and back. Just my Wife & I and the usual complement of luggage. We were on interstates or state highways for the most part. Just a little city driving in a few cities. On the highways I drove just shy of the posted limits, i.e. mid-60s most of the way. I kept my transmission in 8 and on hills dropped it to 7, maybe 6 on a few of the steeper hills. In Virginia we spent 2 days on the Skyline Drive (beautiful) so only drove 30ish for about 100 miles with lots of ups & downs and of course we drove easy on that road with many stops to view the scenery. We averaged just over 34MPG for the overall trip (1600 miles). Doing the math and comparing to the EVIC the figures were just about identical. Most EVICs I've had in the past were very optimistic, but this one seems right on.

#31 ·
I got 29mpg for a couple long trips that were over 3 hours one way. Normal driving I get 24-26mpg.

#32 ·
UK 2.0lt 170bhp diesel 9 speed auto

On a run keeping below 70mph can average just about 51-53mpg

Mixture of town and motorway - typical commute to work 38-43mpg

Driving more around 80-100mph mid 30s mpg

Fastest I've had it 131mph on speedo which showed 126 on the u-connect GPS

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.