My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Black Roof: Yay or Nay?

Black Roof: Yay or Nay?

19K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Raymond_Si 
#1 ·
Among the many packages and options available on the 2018+ Compass, a Black Roof will be one of them. If you've been drooling over the pictures as much as I have you'll notice your own reasons for and against it.

Just to see where everyone stands, vote on the poll above and discuss below...

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not fond of black on a vehicle. But on a roof, you could literally fry bacon on it in the summer sun.

Not for me or anyone who might lean up against it with a cool one. Serious burns for sure. The sample blue is ok but the deep reds have capture my colour selection.

#9 ·
Lol, always funny to hear about different departments butting heads and trying to come to a compromise with new models. Paint operations was probably not happy with the two tone roof decision, but I'm glad they made it work somehow because it does look more premium.

#13 ·
Well it's all taking place in an assembly plant so its easier for them to paint the individual parts. Remember this is a high volume product so any way to speed the entire process up without being too hands on is what they should do and probably are doing. If not, that's a lot of money and time being pissed away.

#16 ·
Its just one of those things car makers and brand in general (not just automotive) follow with every generation of product they release. There are always industry norms to follow and ways to stay relevant. From a design standpoint this is just one of them.

Being such an easy way to add something different to the vehicles appearance and super relevant during this time, its hard to deviate. You don't need to invest millions, bring together R&D teams, road test team, etc. for this, much unlike other roof options.

#18 ·
What helps to is looking at it from the perspective of it frees them up to use resources elsewhere or to just save it because they did all these cheap things to provide more value upfront and really appeal to the market buying this product.

Many ways to leverage and pull in who they want, and in this segment its easy to see why a visual styling cue like this holds a certain importance.

#19 ·
My Compass is all black, but I like the contrast the black roof adds to the two-toned models!

#20 ·
I love the look of the black roof. But after 10,000 miles that I have on my Gen2 Compass Trailhawk I would like to get rid of it.
The black paint just does not hold up well my front pillars and the front area above the windshield is so beat up from bugs and rocks.
With some a good cleaning and good quality paint sealant and wax you can make it look good again for awhile.
I am looking into having a clear wrap done on these areas.

#28 ·
Not exactly why I choose the Compass, but in the end it's why I didn't go with a tricked out Renegade or mid range Latitude Cherokee. The price and its goldilock size aside a well optioned Limited Compass with the roof looked like the most elegant solution of the three and that played a part in my decision.

#42 ·
agreed. I probably wouldnt have bought one if it didnt come with the black roof. I think the way jeep executed it on the compass was perfect, along with the other black trim. without it, you kinda see the weird round shape the compass is, with the black roof, looks sleeker. just my opinion though.

although i wouldnt say it punches above its price point. its priced too high for what this car delivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.