5Likes
  • 2 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By meepmeep
  • 1 Post By moira2
  • 1 Post By mikeexplorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Ordered a manual Latitude 4WD

I've been looking for a AWD/4WD with a stick, and the number of available models shrinks every year. Don't want a Wrangler, not a fan of Subarus, the Outlander didn't catch my interest.. so here I am. We'll see how long it takes to get here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Welcome! Glad you found us.

Frankly I didn't know anything came with a manual any more, except Wranglers. Hope you have good luck with your new Compass.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Welcome! We caved and went with the automatic (we do too much heavy towing and crawling) but just once I would kinda like to take a 6 speed for a spin and see how it feels. Enjoy!
Jasmine and crnnt918 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 11:23 PM

i've got a manual latitude. it's the first manual car i've ever driven that has an electric parking break. honestly, it's kinda weird. it does make up a little for the anemic engine. let me know what you think of it!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesam View Post
i've got a manual latitude. it's the first manual car i've ever driven that has an electric parking break. honestly, it's kinda weird. it does make up a little for the anemic engine. let me know what you think of it!
Frankly I'd prefer a manual e-brake. Not that it should happen, but if one loses control on an icy downgrade, it's nice to brake the rear wheels only. Maybe ABS takes care of that.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 AM

Welcome! Great choice.

The manual e-brake is new but is easy to get used to. The hill start control is great.

The manual pairs with the compass very well and ordering a car from the factory ensures you get everything the way you wanted.

Enjoy and post pictures once your compass arrives.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Welcome! Great choice.

The manual e-brake is new but is easy to get used to. The hill start control is great.

The manual pairs with the compass very well and ordering a car from the factory ensures you get everything the way you wanted.

Enjoy and post pictures once your compass arrives.
Will do! It's in "D" status right now, preproduction, but hopefully they'll start working on it soon. And hopefully the border won't be closed when they're done...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Frankly I'd prefer a manual e-brake. Not that it should happen, but if one loses control on an icy downgrade, it's nice to brake the rear wheels only. Maybe ABS takes care of that.
I would prefer a manual one, too, I think. It's nice to be able to push-start a car and as I understand it, if the battery is dead, there's no way to release the e-brake. But I think I can live with the electronic one, and I'm very happy to not have the stop/start feature!
Jasmine likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepmeep View Post
I would prefer a manual one, too, I think. It's nice to be able to push-start a car and as I understand it, if the battery is dead, there's no way to release the e-brake. But I think I can live with the electronic one, and I'm very happy to not have the stop/start feature!
I've had my manual Latitude for a little over a year now. It's been great, and I've had no problems other than a trim piece on the roof falling off somewhere (~$10 to replace myself).

I test drove an auto since that's all that dealers have and like it, so I kept searching for a manual transmission with the features I wanted. After a few days, one popped up a couple hours away with everything that I would have ordered myself except for a sunroof (even was the color I wanted). The window sticker says it's built for someone else, but he obviously changed his mind haha. The one thing that surprised me is that the back seats don't have vents in the manual like they do in the auto versions. Seems silly because manuals in India and elsewhere have vents on the back of the center console like the autos do.

I bet you'll enjoy your new Compass once you get it. It's getting harder and harder finding a car decently spec'd with a manual transmission.
meepmeep likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM

congrats for that we are willing to buy also i want to know one thing can we use that for Blocking Driveway Removal?

Last edited by martinbrown907; 05-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Garage
A month ago I bought a Compass Sport with a 6 speed manual. The local dealer did not have any in stock, but a dealer about 45 minutes away had 6 in stock so they did a dealer swap. I have driven manuals all my life and my last vehicle which I had for 16 years (Saturn VUE) was rotted out due to all the salt & brine they spray on the roads and would have cost too much to fix.

The list of vehicles with a manual is small anymore. To be honest it was my number 1 reason why I bought this Jeep. The dealer was trying like hell for me to buy off the lot instead of swapping, but I told him that the manual transmission is the reason why I was there, or I would have made the trip to the other dealer and bought one there.

The shifting is a bit different then what I was used to, but I had GM vehicles all my life (Chevy Celebrity, Saturn SL1, Saturn VUE) but this one is a 6 speed, not a 5 speed, so it took a few days to get used to the desired shifting points. The clutch at first seemed to be a bit grabby, but that has calmed down. (I have 1,000 miles on it now)

The compass is a 4x4, it also has the electronic parking brake (I would have preferred manual) and keyless ignition (another oddity I had to get used to) Otherwise I like the vehicle and it performs well with plenty of pickup power, but that is probably because I have the manual.

Mike
moira2 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in