Build Quality - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Build Quality

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but am NOT new to Jeep. We've had 5 so far, starting with a new 1999 Cherokee Sport 2 door. Our last one was a 2011 Patriot with the Freedom Drive II off road package.
I've been looking at the new Compass, and love the size and features. We found a lease deal on leftover 2019 Latitudes for $239/month.

I drove 3 identically optioned 2019 Compass Latitude 4x4's yesterday. All 3 were amazingly different:
-One rode worse than the other two. It just handled the bumps better. They all started with 31 PSI in every tire, identical Firestones. I drove them all down the same streets within minutes of each other. They all had out-of-round tires from sitting too long, which eventually went away.
-The stereo sounded worse in one than the other two, even though the stereos were all identical, set identically (Bass, treble & mid-range at zero, speakers perfectly centered). I set that on every test drive.
-One had an engine knock, after it was fully warmed up.
-The heated seats didn't heat well on two, but worked fine on one. I know how they're supposed to work, as our Patriot had them.
-The power lumbar in one driver's seat didn't deflate well.
-The battery never charged fully in one, even after it ran for 30 minutes. It wasn't dead when we started.
-One had an abrupt lurch when you tried to accelerate too fast from a red light. The auto-stop definitely had issues.

Unfortunately the one that I liked the best, had the engine knock. It's been a long time since I drove a brand new car that knocked.
I drove 6 new Subaru Foresters in June. They were all identical.

What's up with the build quality on the new Compass?

Last edited by cbasta; 10-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2019, 02:02 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Very interesting. I had a 2018 Compass that got wrecked and I replaced it with a 2019. These weren't identical, but the 2018 had two issues my 2019 does not have: the 2018 had the grumbling noise between 25-40, and the 2018 drank a lot of oil -- not gas, oil. I was getting <1000qt at the start, but it improved to +/-3000 to the quart after about 30,000 miles.

As I said, the 2019 doesn't have either of these issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-06-2019, 10:50 AM

That's the beauty of a lease. You don't need to worry about the long term reliability.

Things I would compare are the mileage and build date. Some of it could be due to the car just sitting on the lot a while.

Battery charging - probably takes longer to charge due to the auto start stop.

Engine knocking - do you have low octane fuel in your area? Seems very odd. The engine should take regular just fine.

The seat warmers. You are shopping in October and could be the first time those seat warmers are tested. Maybe a second or third time through it works better.

That said I have no issues with my 2018's build quality so far. No seat warmers or auto start stop in mine. Never heard engine knocking. Speakers are fine and rides well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

All 3 Jeeps were built at about the same time. There is no low octane fuel in our area. The auto start/stop doesn't function until the battery is fully charged. This battery never charged fully. The salesman stated that he's had batteries go bad in his new cars.

-Now that I think about it, we had a 1-month old Mopar battery go bad in our Patriot 3 years ago.

Last edited by cbasta; 10-07-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I received a private message from someone but the system will not allow me to reply via PM. This is that reply:

I know the feeling. Thanks to our Chrysler Service Contract, Chrysler spent about $12k to fix our 2011 Patriot, in the past 18 months. We eventually gave up on it, as the contract was due to expire. We got a Subaru Forester, but still miss the Jeeps (we had 5 in the past 20 years). That, and the fact that we need another vehicle, are why I started looking again.

I think the Compass build quality issues are primarily due to the fact that it's designed after the Fiat 500, and assembled in Toluca, Mexico. A Jeep dealer showed me a new Cherokee today, which is more comfortable, but I still like the Compass's small size and features for such a small vehicle.

Last edited by cbasta; 10-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

The car are extremely cheap.
Although not super expensive either.
Have read allot of issues, no surprise since the previous generation did as well.
Its a neat little car but even myself as a buyer didn't go into this thinking of reliability or build quality otherwise would have bought something else for sure. I wanted to try my first jeep and more importantly wanted a manual SUV which is almost impossible to find and wanted a really cheap car so got this 19 compass sport manual 4x4.
Its MEH to say the least but gets me from a to b and gives me my manual driving fix.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaEastKTM View Post
The car are extremely cheap.
Although not super expensive either.
Have read allot of issues, no surprise since the previous generation did as well.
Its a neat little car but even myself as a buyer didn't go into this thinking of reliability or build quality otherwise would have bought something else for sure. I wanted to try my first jeep and more importantly wanted a manual SUV which is almost impossible to find and wanted a really cheap car so got this 19 compass sport manual 4x4.
Its MEH to say the least but gets me from a to b and gives me my manual driving fix.
Like you, I bought the Compass because it was one of very few SUV's with the manual option. I have driven manuals all my life and did not want to give it up. SO far with about 4,300 miles on it I have not had any issues with it and it doesn't seem to be eating oil like others have reported so maybe I lucked out with getting a good one. Biggest gripe I have is the lack of spare parts. I ordered a spare tire kit months ago and still do not have it. I wanted the tow package with it, and again, not in stock, no ETA. I ended up having one installed by Uhaul. It sits under the bumper but that is ok. I only need it for light towing. I have another vehicle for my main towing (Chevy Tahoe) I did purchase the extended warranty so it should carry me for a few extra years in case it develops problems.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in