My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Jeep Compass and Patriot days numbered?

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  photecs 
#1 ·
New Former Toyota executive Jim press has been quoted saying they will be looking at axing overlapping models, and hinted the Jeep name will go back to its more traditional roots.

He talked about offroad capability which would put both the compass and patriot in the line of fire - unless they plan on offering the patriot with offroad package only which is almost unthinkable.

This should be a few years out I would think unless they want to abandon a large market.

they NEED crossover SUVs now, and the caliber does not pass muster. It is not a car and not a CUV. The sales particularly in Canada have shown this.

#2 ·
Compass Days Numbered . . .

Compass Days Numbered - I HOPE NOT!

I sure hope the big wigs have enough forethought to keep developing a great concept. I would love to see a Compass soft top, maybe on the lines of the 1948 Willys VJ Jeepster . . .

#4 ·
I know I posted this on another thread, but I feel as though the Compass's days are numbered. The bottom line is, they didn't reach their target demographic with the Compass. Granted, I love mine, but the truth is, Jeep did not accomplish what they were after with this one, and there are too many hard core Jeepers out there who will try to beat a new idea down.

I agree, to a certain extent, that Jeep had to grow and expand the brand. I mean, the old CJ's are like the Model T's, both are collectors items, but there is more value in the Jeep world on a pre AMC CJ than any other stock Jeep still on the road today (believe me, I know just by looking whether I have to wave first or return the wave based on my rank in the Jeep hierarchy), or any other vehicle, for that matter. Jeepers know what they want and what they expect, but we are still the most loyal to the brand (I threw the folks off in the Jeep club that I belong to because they were like well you pay your dues and you get a decal. I was like, I will pay my dues, but I need 2 decals. They were like, what do you mean? I said, well I have 2 Jeeps).

It will be interesting to see how the Patriot stacks up, probably will outlive the Compass, but that is the way things go. Now, the '08 Liberty, now that is a looker!

#5 ·
Any news if the Compass will get the axe? I would be concerned about resale value if that is the case. otherwise, I guess I would move to a diesel Cherokee (still called in Europe)....

#6 ·
Eurocompass said:
Any news if the Compass will get the ax? I would be concerned about resale value if that is the case. otherwise, I guess I would move to a diesel Cherokee (still called in Europe)....
Can't imagine the COMPASS getting the ax any time soon.
Where as last year I really had to keep my open to see them on the road, this year I see them most regularly. I think they have really caught on in my neighbourhood (Montreal). I pretty well see them most every time I am on the road.

It would be interesting to know the actual demographics it is reaching, from my observations I think it is a very broad market.

#7 ·
I'll agree with i2Canoe. I live an hour east from you also in Quebec and ever since I got mine there are a lot around. Of course that doesn't really mean anything, but they seem to be popular here. BTW, I'm 35, married with a 30yr old wife and 2 year old daughter. Most people I see in them are about the same age.

#8 ·
Similar here in southern NH. Since I bought mine, there are now several that do the same commute I do. (Just going the other direction.)

Will the Compass and Patriot survive? How high are fuel prices going?...

I am not worried about it. I figure that by the time I am done with this Jeep, the license plate will have the antique endorsement...

#9 ·
I've seen a lot around me lately too. There is hope for the Compass if Jeep would actually do something about it. The car gets decent gas mileage and that's what everyone is looking for. If they aggressively market the car for that reason they would get more buyers.

They could also target a younger audience by pushing the rallye addition of the vehicle and maybe dropping in a SRT like they did for the Caliber. I know a SRT Rallye kit version of the Jeep Compass would be pretty badass.

#10 ·
The Patriot will definitely be sticking around. I believe it is the only Jeep that is selling well currently, with fuel prices so high.

The Compass--they've paid for the tooling, so they might as well keep it. But they're making some rash decisions these days.

#11 ·
It will be interesting to see what happens with this product line. Chrysler needs to be very careful with the Jeep brand. Having strong off road capability is important. Fuel efficiency however is now equally important. The "traditional" Jeeps are lining the sides of the road with for sale signs on them.

The key is that both need to be very nice inside and out, be 4X4 capable and have really fantastic fuel economy.

Hopefully Chrysler will buck the trend towards releasing hybrids only as front wheel drive....

#13 ·
PirateKatz said:
Does anyone know the sales figures of Patriots vs. Compasses? In my neck of the woods, we tend to see more Compasses on the road by a 2:1 margin.
Dito that.

#14 ·
The dealer I spoke to when we bought ours said they have problems getting enough Compasses to fill the demand. They get 20 per week and when we went shopping there were only 5 left to choose from, so I'd say up here (Winnipeg) it's doing fine. The two other dealerships we visited said much the same, the Caliber and Compass are the most popular selling DCX models right now locally. The Patriot is not far behind. This appears to be typical across all brands though, the small SUV's are really popular right now.

I'd say a lot of people up here are a part of the "target demographic" though, it's cheap, practical, easy on gas, and has decent options with the North package - pretty much what a lot of people are looking for in a new vehicle. My wife, who is the primary owner of our Compass, could care less about the 4x4 option or being "Trail Rated", "we" bought it to carry grocery bags and strollers! :lol:

#15 ·
My impression is that the Compass' star is rising. I hadn't really heard much about it, and hadn't really considered it when I first went shopping. I was originally looking at the Dodge Caliber, but I noticed a Compass in the parking lot, and then another, and then another. Obviously I ended up getting a Compass myself, and it is sweet (and the mileage is excellent).
The North Edition 4x4 was everything I was really looking for in a car, plus pretty much all the extras that I wanted, excellent fuel economy, and a reasonable price. So now there is one more on the road.

Now whether that is a local phenomenon or not is another question, but I suspect that fuel in the $1.43/L range here, vehicles like the Compass are only going to get more popular.

#16 ·
I work for chrysler. As for the 18 different vehicles we sell, the compass ranks 4th in overall sales - there's no way it's going anywhere anytime soon - especailly with the higher gas prices and competition out there in this catergory (rouge, cr-v, equinox etc..)
They just revamped the interior on both the patriot and compass, and added a new blue colour for the '09 model year....

It's not going anywhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.