My Jeep Compass Forum banner

replaced rear pads

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tripplec 
#1 ·
I have a quick question. I just replaced the rear brakes on my wife 07 compass limited 2 WD. I didn't break the bleeders loose just collapsed the caliper. No big deal, easy job. But now when I press the brakes while it's idling in park, I can a click in the gear shifter. We've never heard it before. I know its the safety switch or whatever they call it...but did I do something wrong. Brakes seem fine. But that click is annoying.....any one ever had this happen?

#7 ·
I was checking my rears today as I had replaced the caliper early this year due to partial seizing. The other side did not look good lots of rust on the rotor. I was pull the pads off and check. The caliper lower pivot bolt would not come out. I had it out early this year and only reef hand tighten with a ratchet only. Yet it would not break free. After lots of attempts and socket the courners gave way from the torque trying to remove it. The steel is not hard enough. I'll have to have it looked at in a garage to after getting new bolts to replace them and the rubber seals.

This was totally unexpected given that they were off not that long ago. The other side came off ok by the way. The vehicle drives me bananas and I think this caliper is also starting to have problem with all the rust on the rotor from lack of contact friction I may end up replacing it at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.