My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Fuel rating not up the the "estimate"

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeep Tony 
#1 ·
Is anyone else not getting the estimated 25mpg city/29 mpg highway?? It may be that it is only my second tank of gas, but I just averaged 18mpg and am VERY unhappy. I am hoping it was a math error or the last tank wasn't completly filled.

#2 ·
I have the Sport 4x4 with CVT ... est mileage is 23 city, 26 hwy ... I average about 22-23 in stop and go driving around town, and on the highway I'm getting 26 mpg (sometimes more) except if I cruise above 70 mph (then it drops to 22-23mpg).

#4 ·
I'm, also, not very impressed with the fuel consumption of the Compass, but it is, so far, the only thing that I dislike about this vehicle.

I'm averaging 19 mpg, at best, doing city driving and highway at fast speeds (75-80 mph). However, I was able to get around 26 mpg when I was on the highway doing about 69 mph with the cruise control.

Never been able to do more than 400 km with a full tank (250 miles). When I fill it up, it put 51 liters in it (the maximum).

I definitely believe, now, that the Compass's computer adjusts itself to your driving habits. I had a better fuel consumption in the beginning but the engine and the transmission wasn't as aggressive as now. I'm a very aggressive driver and that means one thing, very high fuel consumption and the computer now works accordingly, I believe.

I had pretty much the same story with 2 previous cars, a Chevrolet Venture (advertised as 11 liters per 100km, I was doing 15) and my other car, a Toyota Corolla. Both were eating the gas much faster than advertised and that was because of my driving habits and I know for a fact that the computer in my Corolla was adjusting itself to my driving habits, I asked Toyota and they said so. My guess is, it is the same for the Jeep.

That might also explains why other people have the results the other way around. Their driving habits are much softer than the "preset" standards in the truck so the computer adjusts itself (after a few thousand miles) accordingly.

RedVortex

#5 ·
RedVortex said:
Never been able to do more than 400 km with a full tank (250 miles). When I fill it up, it put 51 liters in it (the maximum).
RedVortex
I was able to get about 435km's before the fuel light came on. I have been filling up the tank before I get close to empty lately. I have been lucky on the last couple of fills to see 78 - 79 cents per litre when I was just below a 1/4 tank.

#8 ·
Yes it is...

It is a 51.1 liters fuel tank. So yes, around 13.5 gallons...

About 10 liters more would've been perfect for me (2.5, 2.6 gallons).

RedVortex

#12 ·
From your lips to God's ears my friend.

I am still averaging around 19 mpg so far. I have been watching the tachometer to see if I can pick up on some flaw in the transmission. When doing 65 mph, on a level road, the tach reads 2900 rpm. That is about the same as my Toyota Echo. Yet the Echo gets 39 mpg. My dad's Subaru get's 26 mpg. The Grand Cherokee with the inline 6 cylinder enginge gave me an average of 17.2 mpg.

I have a hard time accepting that I have a 4 cylinder vehicle that cant get over 20 miles per gallon of gas. I am beginning to document this. As far as I am concerned it's false advertising.

I did think it may be my driving style, but I drive the same way in my Chrysler 300 with a 250 hp V6 and I average 25 mpg and have gotten 29 mpg highway, which is higher than the window sticker estimate. Go figure! :roll:

#14 ·
Re: From your lips to God's ears my friend.

johnjet6 said:
I am still averaging around 19 mpg so far. I have been watching the tachometer to see if I can pick up on some flaw in the transmission. When doing 65 mph, on a level road, the tach reads 2900 rpm. That is about the same as my Toyota Echo. Yet the Echo gets 39 mpg. My dad's Subaru get's 26 mpg. The Grand Cherokee with the inline 6 cylinder enginge gave me an average of 17.2 mpg.

I have a hard time accepting that I have a 4 cylinder vehicle that cant get over 20 miles per gallon of gas. I am beginning to document this. As far as I am concerned it's false advertising.

I did think it may be my driving style, but I drive the same way in my Chrysler 300 with a 250 hp V6 and I average 25 mpg and have gotten 29 mpg highway, which is higher than the window sticker estimate. Go figure! :roll:
at 65mph my tach does NOT read 2900 rpm ... especially on a level road like an interstate highway. usually my tach reads between 2300 and 2500 rpm at that speed. I've been watching how my tach compares to the readings on my wife's 98 Ford ZX2, with a 2L 4 cyl 5 speed, and her engine revs pretty high compared to my Compass. In fact, my Compass rpms seem to be less, at the same speeds, than the rpms that I used to get on my 2004 Wrangler's 4L 6 cyl engine (with a 4 speed auto trans).

my gas mileage started out fairly high, then dropped, but now I'm back up to about 26 or 27 mpg highway ... and roughly 22 or 23 around town ... which is pretty much what the estimates are on the sticker.

#15 ·
Re: From your lips to God's ears my friend.

kwc said:
johnjet6 said:

at 65mph my tach does NOT read 2900 rpm ... especially on a level road like an interstate highway. usually my tach reads between 2300 and 2500 rpm at that speed.
Word to that... I made a point yesterday to look when we hit the highway. I notice that it is sure easy to have the revs move up and down significantly though if you're not using cruise control.

#16 ·
Wow, I am getting an honest 25.4 mpg US. The first two tanks ranged 22.9 and then 24. 5. and thenthe 25.4. Ours was a Compass we pick out from a place in MI. so it had over 650 miles when it got to us. To truck it was not worth it. So who ever drove it here had to pay for the first two tanks of gas. I am very pleased with the Compass and the fuel mileage, so far. I have noticed that 60 mph is the place that gets the best fuel mpg. However, we are retired and not in too big a rush, which most people do have to get places in a rush. Maybe at 70 to 89 mph 20 mpg would not be real bad?

farout

#17 ·
Sounds pretty good, compared to some others that I have read. My actual average is 26.9 US (city) and 29.3 US (highway), calculated based on how and where I drive. I check it after a week at work, and I checked it when I took my week's vacation from work, just doing arrands around town, so I am more than pleased. If nothing else, it beats the 19/22 I get with my Cherokee, especially with gas looking to hit $3.50 US this summer. It is already $2.89, and not even summer driving season. Whew!
I drive about 70mph just going to work, about 50 miles one way, so I really can't complain. VERY happy.

#18 ·
The 4x4 gets a sticker mpg at 23-26 mpg. I have noticed that generally speaking we always get the low side for sure, and work up to better than the top listed on the sticker. Neon's always got us more than the sticker said. However our gas liberty is dismaly a gas hog and our 2005 Diesel Liberty was a huge mistake. DCX bought it back from us on April 5th of this year. We got a typical 21 mpg on diesel.
We will never again buy anything but gas vehicles. The US is not geared up or diesel vehicles yet. Being retired we did not expect to have to declare our diesel vehcile as a dependant. It was more than ahobby is became a fulltime money pit. That's how we got our Compass, as a replacement vehicle by DCX.

farout

#20 ·
At 8400kms average fuel consumed:
11.1 liters per 100km,
21.2 MPG/US or
25.5 MPG/Imp.
Thats with the 5-speed, mixed moderate driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.