Brighter headlights on my Compass? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Brighter headlights on my Compass?

Hi,

Although the headlight are pretty bright I was wondering if it is possible to change them for the bright blue headlamps that we see more and more on the road.

I drive 95% of my mileage on highways and country roads and quite a bit after dark. Could these give me better long range vision on the road especially on rainy nights.

Is it just a bulb or does the whole beam have to be changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 PM

Garage
I changed out my stock headlights for PIAA bulbs. It was an easy swap and it gave me better lighting at night. I just went with H13's but you might be able to get blue. Thier website is www.piaa.com

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #3 of 18 Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 AM

PIAA bulbs are good choice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 AM

I am trying Sylvana Silverstar H-13 headlights. Very white light. However they have an abrupt and low cutoff on dim. Brights could not be better. Will see if an adjustment will improve the height of the cutoff on dim.

Note that the packaging on the Silverstar compares the output to older bulbs that are operating at only 80% which is likely the output when the average bulb is about 3 years old.

Overall not bad but if I cannot improve the low cutoff I may try Piaa. I have used Piaa off road lamps in the past and have always been pleased.

Blue colored bulbs do not produce more light they are just a different color range. They may actually make it harder to see in fog and rain. However it is possible to install HID kits on a Compass which is something I would NOT do unless I also switched to a projector type assembly. HID will produce a blue glow but in spite of many manufactures claims will also produce a lot more glare to oncoming drivers if it is not placed in a true projector arrangement. HID projectors are available for the Compass.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 07-28-2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: More info
post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 AM

Still have not figured out how to aim the headlights on the Compass.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

try this link............if these are the one you want...
http://www.ehow.com/how_112704_adjust-headlights.html

let me know

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 AM

Problem is I am not sure where the adjustment screw is. There are a couple of places on the top rear of the light housing that looks like it would take something like a 7/16 hex key but turning these does not look like it will produce movement.

Time Passes....................
Well I did it those hex key slots do move the lights. Dialed in now.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-13-2009 at 03:23 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info Compasslimited. I too purchased the sylvania silverstars, i havent installed them yet, but i was hoping theyd give that cool aftermarket bright white color =), do you like them? and thanks for the tip on adjusting them!
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Garage
These things are really bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
I am trying Sylvana Silverstar H-13 headlights. Very white light. However they have an abrupt and low cutoff on dim. Brights could not be better. Will see if an adjustment will improve the height of the cutoff on dim.

Overall not bad but if I cannot improve the low cutoff I may try Piaa. I have used Piaa off road lamps in the past and have always been pleased.
I am thinking that the low cut off is a protection factor for the oncoming drivers, these things are really bright.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #10 of 18 Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Hi guys!
I too am looking to install brighter lights, I want to install the PIAA lights, but can't find the H13 anywhere! Are there any other PIAA lights that are compatible with the Compass?

2008 Jeep Compass NorthPlus, Boston Acoustics 4X4, Khaki
post #11 of 18 Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM

Garage
PIAA H13. It all has to do with the filaments and connector ends. Get the wrong ones and you end up not having high beams, low beams or running lights or they won't even fit in the housings or have the connector fit. Mine were special order from a wholesaler. If you check out the PIAA website you can do a search by vehicle and they'll show you the bulbs they make for the vehicle.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 18 Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I will keep looking for the bulb! If I can't find it locally, I guess I will opt for ebay.
DO you know if the HELLA bulbs are of similar quality?

post #13 of 18 Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Garage
HELLA makes the H13/9008 series that are direct replacement. They are 5W lower on the high beam than the PIAA and they don't list the K rating, but they seem comparable. Mine are white and the HELLA would either be bright white or a cool white (slight yellow but still bright white). I'm sure they would be a good bulb too.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks!!
I was glad that I was able to find a garage here that sells PIAA, I ordered the H13 9008 XTREME WHITE PLUS and I got a good deal to boot!

Thanks for all the info!

post #15 of 18 Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 AM

Garage
Same ones I have, no complaints from me. You'll get flashed by a lot of people though.

post #16 of 18 Old 02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Smokey said :
Quote:
You'll get flashed by a lot of people though
And I say .................Oh Yeah ???

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #17 of 18 Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM

well, for 100$ bulbs, I hope I won't have complaints either! lol!
do they have a blue-ish look to them?

post #18 of 18 Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Garage
Not the good kind of flashing by cute girls. I wouldn't complain about that.

The bulbs are 4000K so they're a pure white. If you want blue you'll have to look at around a 6000K bulb, 7000K for purple. For yellow it starts at 3500K for a slight yellow tint, 3000K for what looks like a standard halogen, 2500K for noticeable yellow.

Last edited by smokey01; 02-02-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in