Mounting Driving Lights - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 45 Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Mounting Driving Lights

Has anyone installed driving lights? Like the ones found on the Rallye. Wondered if there were any problems?

For those of you with a Rallye does there appear to be any special mounting plate inside the bumper that you can tell?

Thanks in advance,
Lew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Good question...........but I would like to know if the Liberty roof lights could be installed on the Compass for the real offroad look ????

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

I chose Hella 500 FF lights because of their size and the fact that they closely resemble the Compass headlights. I was going to use Piaa but I was struck by how closely the Hella FF looks like the factory lamps. That and they are about half the price of Piaa.

Mounting driving lights on the Compass presents several problems.

1) There is about an inch gap between the plastic overlay and the metal bracing of the bumper itself. This space is filled with foam.

2) The bolts that came with the lights itself are way too short to reach through the metal supports.

I drilled through the plastic and the top metal bracing and inserted a grade 5 bolt. The bolt is 4" long and barely fits between the two sections of horizontal bracing. I hollowed out some of the foam and inserted a number of washers to support the plastic. The bolt was inserted into bracket, through the plastic, the spacer, then the bracing and finally.....

I am sure someone can improve on my version.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-12-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds complicated...............I wonder how the Rally version is done ??

CL, Is it stable with your install ?

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #5 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Seems to be stable; I have not yet run the wiring I am waiting to see. The bolt for the original bracket has a square head to help keep the bracket from turning. I may spot weld the bracket to the bolt. Of course that means taking the whole thing apart again. If I had not used the washers under the plastic I would have had nothing to tighten against as I am sure I would have just deformed the plastic and foam.

If I had to do it over again I would have moved both lights toward the center by about 2". Being so far outward it was almost impossible to tighten the horizontal bolt that holds the light to the bracket. Learn from my mistake.

Upon reflection it would be much easier to assemble everything above the bumper then run the bolt through the bumper, the washers and then tighten it up. DUH...... Spot weld here I come.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-11-2009 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 45 Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Spot welded the bracket to the 4" bolt. Did away with the washers and finally found a a inch long spacer to fill the void between plastic and steel frame.

Tightened everything up and I am finally happy with the stability. It will take a full head on collision to dislodge these lights.

post #7 of 45 Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It will take a full head on collision to dislodge these lights.
At least they'll see you coming..............

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #8 of 45 Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM

My compass has the rallye body kit but it sucks that I have to have them covered here in California. For aesthetic purposes it works though.
post #9 of 45 Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Great picture there CL............they really do look sweet ...........did a hell of a good job !!!

Do they too change color ????? (LOL)

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #10 of 45 Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Photo is a squirrel's eye view.

segura I knew there was a reason I don't live in CA.

Ffl Thank you & no comment.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-14-2009 at 05:55 AM.
post #11 of 45 Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Garage
CL, did you have to pull the bumper off to do this or do you just pull off the black plastic guard on the bottom of the bumper? I bought some lights to put on mine

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 45 Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Did not remove a thing. However on the raylle edition and perhaps the North ed. there would be something to remove. Probably would have made it easier if I had but I have never been known to take the easy path.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-12-2009 at 04:21 AM.
post #13 of 45 Old 09-12-2009, 04:35 AM

Garage
I actually read an article on http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210706AE.pdf about it, aparantly there is a kit made for mounting the lights. All you need to do is drill a hole in the bumper, install a nutsert and spacer then screw the lights on. Not sure if I like this aproach, would be nice to not see anything when the lights are installed, but I do like the nutsert idea.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness

Last edited by smokey01; 09-12-2009 at 04:41 AM.
post #14 of 45 Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

My dealership offered to sell me one of these; they wanted about $50 for it. Would also had to buy or rent the rivnut tool.

This is the way they are mounted from the factory and is actually a clean look.

I do not understand the purpose of the 3/16" inch hole as I do not see anything attaching through it. There may be some type of flange on the bracket that is not illustrated. If that is the case and the hole is drilled a little off to the right or left that means that light would be permanently out of alignment.

Also note that you would have a 1.5" hole through the foam and resting directly on the metal bumper beam. Sounds like a well to hold water and road salts to me.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.
post #15 of 45 Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 PM

Garage
That's what I was thinking, not sure what that's going to do to the foam and the metal. I do have access to the rivnut tool and an assortment of rivnuts at work. I'll have to do some thinking but I don't think there's any way to get around making a hole in the bumper.

post #16 of 45 Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Hummm before installing the trim plate you could fill the hole with spray foam.

post #17 of 45 Old 09-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Garage
I found some nylon bushings at work that can potentially be used as spacers. They have a flat top larger than the bushing itself, so it's possible to use some automotive adhesive to seal the top and prevent as much water and salt to penetrate to the bumper. Maybe I can do a quick mockup and see if that's possible

post #18 of 45 Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Garage
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking now. I sanded the top of the bushings completely flat. I'm going to prime, paint and clear the tops of them black. Drill a 1" hole in the bumper, prime the bare metal, and install a rivnut. Seal the spacer to the top of the bumper and bolt on the lights using an O-ring to keep water out of the bolt hole. I have a thing against rust. If it works it should be pretty water tight.

post #19 of 45 Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Take photos of your process I was in such a rush I neglected to do so.

post #20 of 45 Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 AM

Garage
no problem. I don't have the right size rivnut or hole saw at work so I'll have to go buy them yet.

post #21 of 45 Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

What type lights are you going to use? You may also want to pick up a rubber gourmet to insert in the firewall for wiring.

post #22 of 45 Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Garage
I got a smokin deal on some KC slimlites. I've been considering the wire route and I think that it might be tucked in front of the rad or behind the bumper to keep it out of harms way and inside some some stainless steel loom where you will see it. I had to order rivnuts, they'll be in monday but I have everything else. OH CRUEL FATE, WHY MUST YOU TOY WITH ME?!?!

Last edited by smokey01; 09-15-2009 at 02:05 AM.
post #23 of 45 Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Garage
I got bored so here's the first part of my install while I wait for the rivnuts. I got these bushings at work (they're for bathroom stall doors) and they are the perfect size for a spacer. I sanded the tops down, primed, painted and cleared them. They look pretty good, only one small bubble in them but I can cover that later. I may do wiring later tonight and will post if I do. If anyone is interested I can do a full writeup in word and post it later with pictures if I can.
bushing1.jpg bushing2.jpg primed.jpg colour coat.jpg final.jpg

post #24 of 45 Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Smoke, how are those lights coming along?

post #25 of 45 Old 10-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Garage
I haven't had any time to work on them. There always seems to be something that keeps me from working on them lately. Hopefully within the next week I get to install them.

post #26 of 45 Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I understand....... no shortage of irons or fire here either.

post #27 of 45 Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Garage
I have some slack time at work I might be able to get the wiring installed and possibly get the nutserts in. Possibly by the end of this weekend I'll have some working lights

post #28 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 AM

Garage
After months of waiting and planning I finally have some movement on this one. Tonight I installed the lights onto the bumper. I drilled a 1" hole in the bumper cover and a 1/2" hole in the bumper itself. The rivnut was inserted into the 1/2" hole and i used my custom spacer on top with some sealant to protect against moisture. I mounted the brackets to the bumper then the lights to the brackets. I think it looks pretty good.
100_0270.jpg 100_0274.jpg 100_0275.jpg 100_0276.jpg 100_0277.jpg

Last edited by smokey01; 10-11-2009 at 08:19 AM.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Indeed looking good, Smoke.

post #30 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Garage
I'm actually surprised at how well they are held onto the bumper. I took the jeep down some extremely washboard backroads on the way home tonight at speeds I'm sure can almost be classified as abuse. The lights didn't come loose or lose the focus I gave them. I can't wait to do the wiring and see them work. I'm happy at how easily the bumper drilled and the overall outcome of the lights. I hope the wiring goes as well as the light install.

Last edited by smokey01; 10-11-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in