Strut Tower - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Strut Tower

Anyone know anything about the strut tower brace? Is it worth it for on/off road or is it just a waste of cash?

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 AM

This is an upgrade I have really been considering. As I have said before I don't drive fast I just don't slow down for the curves.

I have had a tower brace on other cars and it does make a noticeable difference in handling.

Anyone here have one installed?

-----------------
A little video of a place here in Tennessee called Deals Gap aka Tail of the Dragon. If you are into curves making a 22 mile round trip also known as one lap will take you through 636 curves These guys are riding only a couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1EN-LMHb4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

what?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
He lost me after "Must"

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #5 of 21 Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
He lost me after "Must"
Must be talking to his/her imaginary friend.....

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 PM

A strut tower brace is only going to provide stability and reduce body roll. Which in my opinion is a very realistic mod. It will help with body roll through corners because it basically ties the two sides of the car together at the struts. a brace so to speak. Which one are you looking at? I've been wanting to purchase one myself.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was thinking of the mopar one but I'm wondering if it's even worth it for street and highway driving. I also do a little bit offroad that it may help with.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Garage
my local dealer wanted something like $360 for the mopar strut brace. but after i installed the k&n cai im not sure if the brace and the cai heat sheild will work together

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #9 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Garage
This would be a really cool mod. On cardomain there is a guy that installed one and said it gives heaps better handling. I bet it'll make the Compass handle like an X5.... or something...I'd like to reduce the sway.

Too bad it costs a ****load... Could do this instead of off-road tires... hmm..

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Garage
Just a question too.. would it be possible to get one custom made (same materials and function), this might be cheaper than the 400 USD (PLUS handling) to get one here...

Last edited by lochinprc; 07-21-2010 at 01:21 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Garage
shizaam here is one for 240 usd buy it now on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...Q5fAccessories

or with some research to double check that it will fit there is a DC sports one for 170
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DC-SP...Q5fAccessories

i've seen universal strut braces before but i wouldnt reccomend it, their usually just straight bars where the one for the compass/caliber/patriot, has some shape and bends. this is one case where i trust the engineering

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #12 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Garage
have you given up on it Shecky?

post #13 of 21 Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Garage
im pretty sure the strut brace wont fit with the k&n heat sheild around the filter,

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #14 of 21 Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm pretty sure a custom made one wouldn't be too hard to make. Fab shop should be able to bend some tube and weld it to a piece that bolts to the top of the strut tower. I haven't given it any thought lately, no time, money, etc.

post #15 of 21 Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM

Garage
And essentially that would serve the same purpose as the mopar one right? Just choose some strong tubing and get some brackets for bolting on..Then powder-coat it and ready to go?

post #16 of 21 Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Garage
i guess im lazy when it comes to stuff i dont want to create. in this case id rather buy the DC sports brace than make something

and yes lochinprc that would serve the same purpose

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #17 of 21 Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Essentially it would be the same thing. I'd have to break out my steel stress tables to determine what steel to use and how much stress it could withstand. Off the top of my head I would use some 1/8 wall tubing doubled up to provide enough stiffness. It's probably realllly over kill but that's how I roll.

post #18 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM

Garage
Thats a good Way to roll Smokey01, dont want to get one made and then see it bend out of shape from the stress. I think I'd do something like take a few pics of the ones on ebay and see how much they would charge to make me one up from the 1/8" wall tubing. Would also get them to weld on the steel plate like on the factory ones. Thanks for the advice guys!

It might sound cheap that I dont want to fork out 170 for the DC one, but by the time they send it over here I would be looking at close to 300. (shipping plus duties/tax). There is a local place online selling the mopar for CNY3200, or $471, so u see why I might be reluctant to go for that... If I could get one made for around $50 I wouldnt mind it not being the "real" one lol.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think most of the ones I've seen have holes stamped in them for extra strength. It might not be a bad idea to get that done too. I don't know what stamping it would be worth though.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I think most of the ones I've seen have holes stamped in them for extra strength. It might not be a bad idea to get that done too. I don't know what stamping it would be worth though.
Do you mean stamping the tubing or the plate? And by worth i take it you mean money? I have seen the DC sports and mopar ones have holes stamped in the plate, so I will try to get that done too. It wont be much of a cost factor on top of the price I'm sure.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stamping the plate. Most of the high quality towers are made the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in