Had the windows tinted now for the bra... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Had the windows tinted now for the bra...

Now that I have the windows tinted it was time to order the bra. Well it came in two days ago and I just put it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0647.jpg (97.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0648.jpg (96.5 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Lookin' sharp!
post #3 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Garage
I'm not a huge fan of the bra. It looks good but i've seen too many of them rub through the paint down to bare metal. Looks sharp on the black.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Garage
Bra damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the bra. It looks good but i've seen too many of them rub through the paint down to bare metal. Looks sharp on the black.
I had one on a Black BMW, after a short while the mosture caused a hazy appearance to the paint that still showed after a hard compounding.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #5 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I do plan on taking it off to dry if it gets wet or if I know it is going to rain, it only takes 5 minuets to take it off or put it on. But I hope it will save the front from rock chips.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Garage
I wonder if a coat of 3M clear paint protector would help as extra protection. I'm not sure how durable it is but it may help for the unexpected times when it rains and rubbing from vibration.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #7 of 16 Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

How did you tint the windows? Should I take it to have it professionally done or are there tint kits that work well? And how much do both options cost? I just want the front windows to be tinted. Not a big fan of clear windows.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-04-2009, 02:30 PM

It's been my experience that the tint kits only work well if the installer knows what they are doing. The best bet is get it done professionally and make sure they waranty the work against bubbling and peeling.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #9 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 02:36 PM

I installed a 3M clear bra myself. I am sure a pro could have done better but I saved about $300. I bought the kit on e-bay for less than $50.

My last sports car was purchased used with about 3,000 miles on it. The previous owner had installed a removable bra and had managed to damage the paint in two places in that short period.

Found the bra in the trunk and installed it myself. I decided that the bra was poorly designed and removed it promptly and tossed it in the trash. The damage to the paint was caused by the strap attachment points.

Keep us posted on how yours is working for you 09.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-06-2009 at 02:44 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, I did have the front windows done by a pro tint shop, but even they had to redo the windows from scratches to both windows from tucking the film on the bottom of the window. And then he had to do the drivers window again because of a quarter size set of small bubbles that you ended looking at every time you went to look at the mirror. But third times a charm, both look great. My advice is offer them $20-$40 more than they are asking for the tint job, but you want them to use the money to take their time and be extra careful of the dust issue. The cost was only $60 for the front windows, but I wish I had given him the extra $20 in the first attempt to tint them with the take your time please talk.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM

hmmm this is good advice. thank you!

And 09Compass2.4 you are from Coventry? I'm in CT, too. Where did you get your tinting done? Or do you recommend any place closer to NY? Just thought I'd ask...
post #12 of 16 Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass511 View Post
hmmm this is good advice. thank you!

And 09Compass2.4 you are from Coventry? I'm in CT, too. Where did you get your tinting done? Or do you recommend any place closer to NY? Just thought I'd ask...
HA how many CT people are here? I'm from southbury!

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #13 of 16 Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
yup they can do that, i had one on my 2001 cavi when i bought it and left it on for two years and the paint underneath was a differant color than the rest of the car.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Yep.. I had a bra once on a white car.. left the paint a yellow haze.. like bad teeth! Never again on the bra!!!

Whiskers
2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4
post #15 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I say............they (you figure it out) always look better without a bra anyway.......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #16 of 16 Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
I say............they (you figure it out) always look better without a bra anyway.......
LOL! I agree, though, I never was a fan of those, either, but to each their own.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in