Towerstrut - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Towerstrut

Has anyone added one of these? It is a towerstrut and greatly improves handling.
This is a photo of an aftermarket one. Mopar has them for the Compass as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-10-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

My God we can't miss this...............it's fricking huge the pic I mean............what's the purpase of It anyway???

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 AM

I'd like to know more. I haven't done any of my own research but it may be something that could be useful, especially for the Compass that is rode pretty hard. Does this attach to the undercarriage? It sounds like it braces up the upper end through the engine compartment.

|
|

Last edited by Jeepster2; 09-11-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A strut bar, strut brace, or strut tower brace (STB) is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory usually used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra stiffness between the strut towers.
With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately.

In general terms, a strut tower in a monocoque chassis is a reinforced portion of the inner wheel well and is not necessarily directly connected to the main chassis rails. For this reason there is inherent flex within the strut towers relative to the chassis rails.

A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering via tension and compression of the strut bar which shares the load between both towers and reduces chassis flex.

On the Saab Sonett mk2 and mk3 the overflow container for the cooling system doubles as a strut bar. The longnose version of the Saab 96 also came with a factory mounted strut bar. This despite that both cars used double wishbone suspension.
Following the aftermarket's lead, some manufacturers have started fitting strut bars to performance models, including the Pontiac GTO, Pontiac Bonneville GXP, Nissan Skyline, Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, Acura CL Type-S, Daihatsu Charade GTti, BMW M3, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart, Toyota MR2, Ford Mustang Bullitt, Volvo S60 and the Holden VY II Commodore, as standard equipment.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 AM

Ok, so this is an upper strut brace that should add to stability in ride performance. Am I right? Should we buy this? I'm thinking about this.

|
|
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

I have had one on several other cars and they definitely help in cornering. Very easy to install they cost about $300. This Mopar brace is also the ugliest brace I have ever seen.

Check out this version mounted on a yota.

I was wondering if someone in this forum could build something like this instead of the thing that Mopar makes. The welds on the Mopar brace look more like tack welds to me. Of course I would want to paint it or even have it black chrome plated. Would just like to start with something better looking.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 AM

Ok, this is what I thought it was so it makes sense to me now. Thanks for the info CL. I would also like to hear if anyone has installed one and if it was worth it.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in