PIAA Xtreme White vs. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Headlights - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

PIAA Xtreme White vs. Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Headlights

Hey guys,

So, I've had a set of PIAA Xtreme white headlights for a little over a year now. One bulb burnt out on me slightly under a year after purchase, and I had a new one sent to me for free (1-year warranty). Now the other bulb has burnt out and it's been more than a year so I can't replace it...and don't want to spend another 80 bucks for another whole set of PIAA's. The output is great but I'm wondering what the quality of light is compared to the SilverStar Ultra headlights at one third of the price - have any of you installed the SilverStar Ultra's? How do you like 'em?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 AM

Garage
I don't have either now but have had Piaa before and were good, the Silverstars I havent had the Ultras. I got sick of spending money on bulbs and usually just buy some $10 - 15 bulbs off of eBay. I realized that the heat of the light eventually melts the blue and silver on the bulb and any one will not last as long as OEM style bulbs.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #3 of 5 Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM

Garage
I just put the SilverStar Ultra's on my '11 Compass and I think they look great. I replaced the high and low beams, they are very bright and I think they are noticeably much whiter than OEM headlights.

I say go for it, well worth the $$$ in my opinion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

I did end up replacing my OEMs for these, and noticed a difference...though the difference was not as great as when I had my PIAAs, the bulbs have already been in longer than the PIAAs were (about a year) and haven't burnt out yet. I just wish I could put xenon HIDs in there...but I've been there, done that and have been told that only the low beam bulbs will work. When I tried the dual beams I got a horrible pattern and just wish I could have fixed it for HID lighting instead of these bulbs. If anyone knows of xenon HIDs that fit/work correctly on an 07, let me know!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM

I had the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra on my Chevy Cobalt and BOTH burn (1 week between each other) after only 1 year and 2 month. When I bought them many people warn me they burn quickly even if they are pretty expensive and this is true.

In the other hand, they are very good bulbs, bright, ultra-white look, better overall night vision so I do recommend it anyway, but be warned they don't last long for the price!

I'm just in the process of shopping a set for my newly acquired Jeep!

2010 Jeep Compass North Edition 4X4 CVT
2010 Chevy Cobalt LS

Last edited by SimmZ; 03-27-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in