rally armor universal mudflaps installation - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Question rally armor universal mudflaps installation

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if I can trouble you all with a couple questions about installing some aftermarket mudflaps. I just ordered some that should be here shortly and without even seeing them, I'm wondering about how the fender liners will affect the install.

I got these mudflaps for my 2012 Compass: http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/imag...al_ur_gray.jpg as I drive on gravel and snow lots and wanted something that was wider than OEM and wouldn't freeze up. I know a couple Subie frends that swear by them so thought I'd give them a shot especially with 225/55/18 geolandar's kicking up SO much the extra width is what I was looking for.

When I look at the fender liner on my Compass, there is a big vertical ridge on them maybe 3" from the edge of the car, definitely within the width of the flap quite a bit. It's not "flat" behind the wheels. Has anyone here dealt with this while installing aftermarket universal mudflaps? Thoughts on whether it would be better to trim the liner or trim the mudflap?

With regards to the install, they come with no hardware or instructions. After mocking them up with cardboard and playing with the fit etc I'm thinking to use the 2 (front) and maybe 3 (in the back depending on how high I mount) stock screws in place now as the instructions for the OEM flaps call for. For additional attachment points, I was planning on drilling a couple more holes into the fender liner (after sorting the vertical ridge issue out) and securing the mudflaps with stainless rivet nuts. I figure that 4 or maybe 5 connections should hold them in place well. Any thoughts on this?

Pics of the new mods when I'm done - and I owe one already from when I joined!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM
jrN

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_piece View Post
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if I can trouble you all with a couple questions about installing some aftermarket mudflaps. I just ordered some that should be here shortly and without even seeing them, I'm wondering about how the fender liners will affect the install.

I got these mudflaps for my 2012 Compass: http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/imag...al_ur_gray.jpg as I drive on gravel and snow lots and wanted something that was wider than OEM and wouldn't freeze up. I know a couple Subie frends that swear by them so thought I'd give them a shot especially with 225/55/18 geolandar's kicking up SO much the extra width is what I was looking for.

When I look at the fender liner on my Compass, there is a big vertical ridge on them maybe 3" from the edge of the car, definitely within the width of the flap quite a bit. It's not "flat" behind the wheels. Has anyone here dealt with this while installing aftermarket universal mudflaps? Thoughts on whether it would be better to trim the liner or trim the mudflap?

With regards to the install, they come with no hardware or instructions. After mocking them up with cardboard and playing with the fit etc I'm thinking to use the 2 (front) and maybe 3 (in the back depending on how high I mount) stock screws in place now as the instructions for the OEM flaps call for. For additional attachment points, I was planning on drilling a couple more holes into the fender liner (after sorting the vertical ridge issue out) and securing the mudflaps with stainless rivet nuts. I figure that 4 or maybe 5 connections should hold them in place well. Any thoughts on this?

Pics of the new mods when I'm done - and I owe one already from when I joined!
I just drilled through the fender liner and lined the rest up it all fits and will look fine! Just make sure you get the poly urethane ones. I do wish i made the stick out a little more though

post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2015, 12:08 PM

i used the stock screws and added 1 threw the fender liner on the inside. the ridge in the front wheel well, i cut a notch out of the flaps to go around it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in