2012 Compass LED Headlight Conversion - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
2012 Compass LED Headlight Conversion

To compliment my LED signal and back up bulbs (rear tail lights are already led) I bought some 50w 9005 and H11 Bulbs from www.autolumination.com

I will be posting an update once I actually get the bulbs, i'm curious to see if the 50w led bulbs will actually be bright enough to replace the stock headlamps. I haven't seen anyone else try these bulbs in any type of vehicle so I may be the first, hopefully it works out well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM

Garage
i cannot begin to imagine the amount of glare those are going to create. those are even worse than HIDs because the light source isn't coming from a single place. dude, you're going to hate those things. yes, they're going to be bright as hell, but they're not going to put that light anywhere you want (or need) it to go.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 AM

I haven't seen it done either. I just put in the HID kit from Get HID Lights, LLC - Don't Just Look Better, See Better! and I love it. Although, the 8000K is a little too blue for me but it's not terribly bad. I would go for the 6000K next time around. Don't forget to post pics when you get the bulbs in...I'm curious to see how they look and the output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
IRSmart I agree with you on the HID lights, I though LED may be slightly different, here is a link to what the bulbs look like.

Link

Now since the LED's will be emitting light all around the bulb much like a halogen shouldn't it be similar and not have too much glare?

I guess if they turn out to not work well in the headlamp assemblies, I can put them in the fog lights as they are projector lenses.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
IRSmart I agree with you on the HID lights, I though LED may be slightly different, here is a link to what the bulbs look like.

Link

Now since the LED's will be emitting light all around the bulb much like a halogen shouldn't it be similar and not have too much glare?

I guess if they turn out to not work well in the headlamp assemblies, I can put them in the fog lights as they are projector lenses.
no, those will be worse than HIDs, which i already am an advocate against and try to inform people of their hazards. one of the several problems with HIDs is that you have moved the source of light inside the housing away from the focal point, the "sweet spot" where the housing shoots all the light right where you need it. the problem the lights you selected is that not only has the light source been moved from the focal point, it's been moved to a different location 10 times. it's going to glare like you can't possibly imagine, and they charge an arm and a leg to do it. i'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if someone handed those to me and asked me to place them in MY car, i would put them on the ground, turn around, run far, far away, and never look back
post #6 of 23 Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the input, would they not work fine in the projector housings that the fog lights reside in?
post #7 of 23 Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Thanks for the input, would they not work fine in the projector housings that the fog lights reside in?
you would have similar issues in the fog light projectors, however, you would not glare up as high due to the cutoff shield. but that doesn't solve the problem of not putting light in the places you want it to go. those lights are dangerous. if you want more light, more useable light, the two best options are to find a higher wattage hallogen bulb (which runs the risk of a short life span, and/or blown fuses and melted wires without a relay setup), or an HID setup with the proper retrofit of a housing with reflective optics designed for such an application.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
In my previous Patriot I ran 80w/100w H13 bulbs, 80w low 100w high beams.

Factory was 50/65 and it actually worked not bad despite the extra heat output. The other problem is the Compass a Patriot lighting is controlled by the TIPM which gets really picky when the wrong wattage bulbs are used so I"ll probably see if I can pick up a set of Grand Cherokee headlamps with the projector lens already installed (since GC's have the HID option).
post #9 of 23 Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Garage
For those looking to upgrade the 9005 or 9006 light bulbs I would highly recomend upgrading to the Philips HIR2 bulbs. They put out more light using the same watts as the 9005/9006 bulbs with out glare or dead spots and will last longer than a regular higher watt bulb. They just require a slight trim on one of the plastic tabs to install.

Currently, Philips is the only one producing them so shop around for the lowest price.

Some info:
HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs
post #10 of 23 Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 AM

Daytime Running Lights

Has anyone tackled installing LED Daytime Running Lights. We have a 2012 Liimited and would like to install these as they do add a safety feature like some newer models. Would really appreciate your help in knowing where to plug these puppies in. Want them to come on when the engine is fired up and then turn off the same way:
LKicklight
post #11 of 23 Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 AM

HID's

DDM Tuning is a great supplier of 35W 5000K low beams at $29.95, have used these on about everything that has the 9006 Bulb with now problems, will no doubt get them on the 2012 Compass Limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF1ANT View Post
For those looking to upgrade the 9005 or 9006 light bulbs I would highly recomend upgrading to the Philips HIR2 bulbs. They put out more light using the same watts as the 9005/9006 bulbs with out glare or dead spots and will last longer than a regular higher watt bulb. They just require a slight trim on one of the plastic tabs to install.

Currently, Philips is the only one producing them so shop around for the lowest price.

Some info:
HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs
post #12 of 23 Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Garage
Flickering Led Lights

Has anyone had any issues with their Led's flickering here and there? I bought these so I wouldn't have to buy relays like I did for my HID's and then had them flicker. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
post #13 of 23 Old 12-05-2016, 05:51 PM

Jordan, the LED units will have the same issue as the HID units. Our cars are used to the draw of a standard halogen bulb... if the wattage is under in any way, the car will have a hard time with it.

You will need the Relay harness with the Resistors built in.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conver...rness+resistor

It should be straight forward to set up.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-07-2016, 04:29 AM

Garage
Thanks for the help
post #15 of 23 Old 12-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Or buy Canbus LEDs. Eliminates the need for the resistor and wiring and what not
post #16 of 23 Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Load resistors are needed to eliminate the flickering of LED bulbs.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-18-2016, 01:51 AM

Garage
My Hid headlights will not stop flickering. I have put in a ballast, relay, and morimoto cancer and can not fix the issue. I am not exactly sure what to do from this point.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Hames View Post
My Hid headlights will not stop flickering. I have put in a ballast, relay, and morimoto cancer and can not fix the issue. I am not exactly sure what to do from this point.
To stop the flickering you need to install load resistors. One on each side like this one: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...resistors.html

And to prevent random blinks (mine does this even with stock bulbs), you will need to install a capacitor like this one:https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...ect_restrict=1

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
post #19 of 23 Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM

maybe you need a?NO FLICKERING DECODER,it can fix?error code or fast flickering issues related to the low current draw.
my car use for a long time,here's a reputable light ,Novsight.

To bring you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for your car
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Will these work with LEDS or just HIDS??
post #21 of 23 Old 11-30-2018, 02:14 AM

Its fine to use the LEDs in the High-Beams only, where glare wont matter. But stick to normal halogen bulbs in your low-beam driving lights unless you do a proper retro-fit with projector lens's
post #22 of 23 Old 12-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Garage
I thought that the 2012 compass had projectors fitted as standard, mine has them fitted and they are about as much use as a miners candle!
Would I be correct in thinking that I could use LED or HID in the projector units?
I have tried LED and had the same flickering issues as above, so returned them as they said they were canbus compliant!
post #23 of 23 Old 12-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Need to use a relay for the LED's. Thats what I had to do with my 9005 "canbus-ready" high-beam bulbs and now they work perfectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in