Wheel Spacers and K&N Filter - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wheel Spacers and K&N Filter

I added 1.5 inch wheel spacers. I think it looks much better. The inset of the wheels really bugged me, and the handling is much better on winding mountain roads now.

Also added K&N filter. Wow. Very noticeable difference in power, also increased MPG by about 1.5. If you have the 2.0 engine with a five speed you should really give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.1 KB, 72 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Talking

Two things:

- The spacers move the wheel/rim assemblies out which is one thing but in doing so there is more stress on the arms, ball joints that hold the wheel in place. The implementation was already a very weak point in the suspension of these vehicles with very early and frequent wear out. Keep it but keep and eye on the wheels suspension for play and knocking indicating repair is needed.

- K&N do let in more dirt their weave is quite wide and grit easily gets past the filtering fabric despite being oiled. If you drive in dusty conditions an engine jobs will come early. If you're not keeping it long then it may hang in there.
wojeda likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Two things:

- ........it but keep and eye on the wheels suspension for play and knocking indicating repair is needed.

- ...... If you drive in dusty conditions an engine jobs will come early. If you're not keeping it long then it may hang in there.

I strongly agree with you. Engineer team designers for sure took many precaucions to have a good truck, but we all know everything is about money (everything design to give 99.999%) so for sure when you add some stuff to get better performance, for sure you have more risk to have a premature failure or more frecuently maintenance.

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM

Going wider for me would result in a lot a road spray. In both the Winter and wet time in the summer. It can be bad enough as it is.

@Tonyxxxx
You may not be aware but this is built on a cars suspension and drive train is essentially a CALIBRE with a JEEP skin on it.
Unlike many real SUV's which have robust truck heavy duty wheel bearings and steering suspension components which can easily take the addition spacing. Weak ball joint in the lower control arms and they inner bushings fail easily on the OEM parts. Maybe replacing it all with better quality aftermarket pieces may be better. I have been using Mevotech when possible since they have a Canadian office and based here. There parts are in my opinion much better without the steep price.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the replies.

I really do appreciate the knowledge of other forum members. I did do some research on wheel adapters/spacers and premature wear. I am willing to take the chance on replacing suspension components early. In the long run, I may just end up getting new wheels and tires with an offset that bring the tires out a bit more than stock.

I have had K&N filters on my cars for as long as I can remember and have not had a problem. I think with proper maintenance they preform just fine.

When I sold my last work truck, it had 290,000 K&N filtered miles on it and ran like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.2 KB, 38 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in