Tranny Cooler - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec
  • 1 Post By tripplec
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Tranny Cooler

Im going to have a cooler installed to be on the safe side towing. Is there any specific size cooler i should be looking at ..I'm thinking Mr. T to install it
07 compass 4x4 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM

LOL You are asking for trouble with them.

Check with the dealer first.
- your owners manual clearly states that towing about 1000lb requires an oil cooler
- there is a CVT fluid cooler mounted behind the AC condensor and in front of the rad
- the cooler they talk about and you can find installation information on it is an Engine Oil Cooler kit. Yes ENGINE not Transmission.
- my advice if you read anything at all is to use a quality oil filter (Wix 57045 for example) and name brand Synthetic oil. It will stand up to towing stresses and higher temperatures much better. Winter towing is not as big a deal since the cold temp offers better ambient cooling for the power train.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
LOL You are asking for trouble with them.

Check with the dealer first.
- your owners manual clearly states that towing about 1000lb requires an oil cooler
- there is a CVT fluid cooler mounted behind the AC condensor and in front of the rad
- the cooler they talk about and you can find installation information on it is an Engine Oil Cooler kit. Yes ENGINE not Transmission.
- my advice if you read anything at all is to use a quality oil filter (Wix 57045 for example) and name brand Synthetic oil. It will stand up to towing stresses and higher temperatures much better. Winter towing is not as big a deal since the cold temp offers better ambient cooling for the power train.

When I requested my build sheet I asked specifically if there was a trans cooler and they say no but you say they are there by default ( oil cooler )is what I am reading . Ive had different responses some shops say a regular trans cooler can be installed and only one , the one that rebuilt this trans said there is a specific cooler for this trans by tru cool ,But when i contact tru cool they say theirs are all just universal kits .The shop that rebuilt the tranny also said I shouldnt have any trouble towing the way it is .I am perplexed and dont want to burn the tranny up were dragging our pop up to Algonquin park 7 hours from here .My manual says 2000 lbs towing .I just had oil change but didnt go synthetic guess next time ... I will check with the dealer tomorrow as suggested..I have another question too in regards to trailer wiring i see multiple types 15 - 80 bucks , why wouldn't I be able to use a cheap one with the breakout box for the separate taillights the only thing i see thats different is the low end one doesn't pwr direct from the battery .Just trying to do it right but cheaply Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 AM

Red face

Looking back at the first post. You have an 2007, I am 2009 and its 1000lbs native unless the cooler option was added which would be the same for you. Also with 2000lbs you'd need electric brakes on the camper. The compass brakes won't cut it. I towed an ATV in a small 6 x 6ft camper trailer base I converted. Stopping was not easy and I was under 1000lbs for sure.

As for the transmission cooler it won't show in the build list since its part of the design (tubing running left to right looping ) which cools the fluild to some degree. The engine oil cooler is an option and would show up if you ordered it. It is easy to seel. There is a pair of lines going to and interface above he oil filter and another assemble at the top rad hose area which is all part of the tow prep package. 99.9% sure you don't have it.

See the image attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVT cooler.jpg (35.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (39.2 KB, 5 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 08-07-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added image for reference on towing limit.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Hmmm ok I guess you got what you wanted and don't bother to post back.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmmm ok I guess you got what you wanted and don't bother to post back.

Sorry I just got to the dealer today that did confirm the cvt cooler in place as advised I do reply to posts so give me time to get there first i cant go fast with 2 new knees ..Is it okay to put a basic after market trailer wire in with the break out box of course .I know the expensive ones run a pwr wire to the battery to prevent internal fuse failure .Thanks for all the help your a wealth of knowledge sir and I appreciate it , you saved me getting railed by Mr T Was surprised how helpful the dealer was..So with thjs cooler there i have the tow package with out the hitch wiring etc ?

Last edited by byteme; 08-08-2013 at 01:04 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 01:52 AM

I gather you saw the images I posted on the cooler and tow ratings.

You need a special 3 way converter box, almost all vehicles have that requirement. Signals and brakes are different lights. If you run more than one trailer light you could blow the TIPM depending on its current limit.

good luck.

You could pick on up at a trailer shop or some online part places.
byteme likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 08-08-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I gather you say the images I posted on the cooler and tow ratings.

You need a special 3 way converter box, almost all vehicles have that requirement. Signals and brakes are different lights. If you run more than one trailer light you could blow the TIPM depending on its current limit.

good luck.

You could pick on up at a trailer shop or some online part places.
Yeah it has the break out for the dual brake turn lights only one light per side so i should be okay I hope
post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM

the trailer should have full functioning lights,
- brakes
- left & right signal lights
- running if at night but if you have the above working then this is there as well.

You don't want someone behind you not knowing you're braking or can't tell you are signaling. You'll get rear ended. It takes more time to slow down and fast stops are near impossible unless you have electric brakes on the trailer. You have to allow a lot more distance to slow down.
byteme likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

after what you said last night about the TIPM and it may get damaged I am going to pick up one that has a 12 volt lead to it so it does'nt feed from the TIPM If there is a short Id rather not replace the TIPM you never know with old trailers . We always ck the lights and wheels been towing with the Safari for many many years .I couldn't justify 9.00 for a convertor and 40 for a convertor with 12 volt lead til you mentioned the TIPM read up and think im putting in the more $ one for peace of mind . I spoke to the dealer again and asked if it has the cooler is it part of tow package and they said no.

Last edited by byteme; 08-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM

smart move on the converter. I had nothing but trouble with mine. My TIPM was replaced many many times (under warranty). Virtually everything is controlled and powered threw it and its programable (door lock, and alert lights on with delay programming) to mention a few.

As per the earlier info the Tow Prep add-on is an option and how it comes in your year (2007) may have been different. If you don't have a manifold between the engine and oil filter with oil lines coming out, you don't have that options. However if you vehicle came with some towing package its a given it should be there. You could call Chrysler Customer service and find out if your vehicle should have it.

If you are pulling long distances and highway speed with a trailer that is near or at the 2000lb mark. You had better keep a close eye on your temp gauge. But the cooler keeps the oil from getting too hot as well and that is a function of load on the engine. The Safari is in a class unto itself. I had an ASTRO AWD and it would crawl through snow that had my JEEP spinning for traction. Different weight distribution and power curve entirely. Murder on gas and killer at the station when filling the 117 Liter tank.
byteme likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 08-09-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Typos
post #12 of 13 Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

yeah the 140.00 dollar fill was murder 3 times for one trip up back and cruising around but admit that's when we loaded the truck n trailer for bear . Not having fun running the wiring under thru the Jeep there's some sharp metal in all that plastic not worth 55 to have u haul install the wiring they are doing the hitch cause install is 17.00 cheap ..Thanks again for all the help
post #13 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Well we made it there and back this Compass pulled like a dream a lot weaker then my safari but still did the job never missed a beat . No heating issues and stopped on a quarter . We had the Jeep packed to the back glass it took about 65.00 in gas to get to Algonquin which was a real money saver compared to 150.00 .Trailer lights were messed up some where inside the trailer so Im glad I bought the more expensive harness.We were caught in that storm on friday night most of the way back. I didnt see the 60 k sign but found that the road abruptly went from asphalt to washed out dirt road at 120 ks and jumped on the binders and brought her to a shaky but near dead stop fairly fast, scared the hell out of my wife .I thought for sure the trailer was going to come around the left side but stayed right where she was suppose to be .Im impressed how this little SUV worked on the trip .Thanks for all the help ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in