hitch and towing - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

hitch and towing

I have been thinking very hard about putting a hitch on my compass. It has the tow package with the full sized spare, oil cooler, and wiring harness. I was going to go with the mopar hitch. I was just wondering who has hitches, what kind of hitches you have and if your compasses have plenty of power for towing or whether they are kinda underpowered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mine is a Hidden Hitch class II which is ample for me as I'm carrying only my bike rack for now............and the beauty of it.....is it's underneath the bumper so you barely see it.....

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 AM

Garage
I have a Reece class III aftermarket hitch. I pulled a 2500lb trailer with it once. No problems towing at all.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I tow a pop up trailer 1700lbs dry weight in the summer without any issues other than the change oil indicator coming on a little early due ( around the 5000k mark) to extra work the engine is doing.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM

I am getting on installed in a few days. A CURTIS hitch CLASS III.
The owners manual says 2000lbs with a package (forget the Acronym) which included an oil cooler. I was not told an tranny cooler but I'll look into it further later since I have no immediate towing requirements of significance.

=====================
Hitch and wiring installed now.
CLASS III Curtis hitch w/2" ball, looks good and if someone is interested in bumping me. Well good luck. This is anchored solid with hardened steel.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 04-02-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Hitch installed now.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM

Has anyone installed a hitch and wiring

We are looking online at buying the hitch and wiring and doing it ourselves. The cost is half of what the dealer or anyone else charges. Has anyone done this and if so any problems or concerns.

Thanks as always for the help.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not sure if i like it View Post
We are looking online at buying the hitch and wiring and doing it ourselves. The cost is half of what the dealer or anyone else charges. Has anyone done this and if so any problems or concerns.

Thanks as always for the help.
Well I had a Class III Curtis hitch put on my Compass. You're going to have real trouble fishing the bolts through the chassis in through the holes. I known, they have special techniques to do that and there is no other way. You'll spend most of the day and lucky if you succeed.

Go to a hitch installation shop. One that specializes in installing them. They are a lot more reasonable. The dealer don't do it themselves. The job it out to a local hitch shop and bill you extra!! I know, my guy does them for many dealers as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM

I have a UHaul hitch on mine. I've never towed anything but use a cargo carrier on a fairly regular basis.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Getting the right hitch

I have a 1-1/4" receiver that is hidden under the bumper. I am going to pull my 4-wheeler in a 5x8 utility trailer. What type of hitch is needed? I looks like I need a 2" drop to keep the tounge level. Any suggestions as to lenght or drop?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Its not that critical. I have hitches on three vehicles and all trailers are difference. Wheel height along with trailer frame, axle position in relation to the trailer bed etc.

You should already have a ball mount insert with a ball on it. Insert and see how the trailer sits. Otherwise on a level surface level the trailer and block up the tongue and measure to the top of the coupler (thats the height to the top of the ball). Subtrack the ball height from that and you'll want and insert that takes you to that or higher (tongue weight and cargo inside will lower the vehicle). If you have 200lb buddy he can stand on the hitch and see how far the Compass drops.

Bottom line is the trailer needs 10% min of its weight on the ball otherwise you hit the magic highway speed and it will fish tail like crazy. So keep the weight forward on the trailer to achieve a front heavy trailer. Some axles are set further back then others and in my case one trailer I use for snowmobiles is set about halfway. Its almost balanced and thats a problem so I put my 5 gal gas cans etc run up front.

I hope this helps and length of insert is only about having 1" clearance at the ball front the body. No more is necessary.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 13 Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 PM

Do we have any more Rallye editions on the board yet? I havent been around here in some time.

I have been thinking about getting a hitch for mine but I dont know if it will fit under the rear skirt or not due to the rallye package.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

post #12 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze07projectmayhem View Post
Do we have any more Rallye editions on the board yet? I havent been around here in some time.

I have been thinking about getting a hitch for mine but I dont know if it will fit under the rear skirt or not due to the rallye package.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
The Curt hitch I bought said that there had to be a cutout made for the Rallye edition. It came with some rubber edging and a template for the cutout. Not a huge cutout probably around 1.5 inches high and in a semi circle.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd View Post
The Curt hitch I bought said that there had to be a cutout made for the Rallye edition. It came with some rubber edging and a template for the cutout. Not a huge cutout probably around 1.5 inches high and in a semi circle.
Thats kinda what I figured and didn't want to have to do. I'm gonna have to figure something out.

Thanks

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in