Painting rims - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 Old 08-08-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Painting rims

So ive been wanting to paint my rims flat black, similar to the srt8 cherokee pic in my custom exhaust thread, but i didnt really want to ruin my rims if the painting didnt turn out great. so i hit up kijiji.ca and found a set of patriot rims 30 min away. lucky me haha. bought them from an older guy who claimed they only did 200km on the patriot then they were swapped out for something different i guess. truthfully they do look brand new just dusty from sitting on a shelf since 07. They dont have rubber which is kinda good so i cant paint these then put my new rubber on these wheels in october .

he was asking 200 obo so i called him up and asked if he would take 150 and ill be on my way with the cash he had a little chuckle and said "that sounds great young man". such a nice guy we even chatted about cars for about 20 min and he checked my compass out, picked out all the mods cause he noticed stuff was different under the hood and the brakes were red lol.

So that was my first experience with a local buy/sell site and it wasn't creepy like i thought it would be lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)

Last edited by Shecky; 08-08-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

I see that it seems you have the TPMS valves as well ??? all for $150 cdn?.....you made a GREAT deal my friend .....WOW

Great catch .......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #3 of 32 Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
will those valves do anything? i currently dont have them on the compass

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Is your TPMS light on ?

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #5 of 32 Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
nope dont have it, is that something that comes on the limited but not the sport

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #6 of 32 Old 08-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Weird........... I thought they were standard on all Compass.....it's a safety feature......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #7 of 32 Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Administrator

I would have to say that's a great deal, also, nice job there and glad you had a good experience! As for the TPMS, it became mandatory for all light vehicles (under 10,000 pounds GVWR) sold after September 1, 2007, so I would say it's possible you don't have it, Shecky, but I have to think it's unlikely. I bought my Compass in December '06 and I had the sensors.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 32 Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so i guess im gonna goto the gas station one night and let the air out of my tire and see if a dash light comes on

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #9 of 32 Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator

LOL, perhaps you've never seen the light on the dash because you take such good care of your Compass that the tires never get low. What color are your valve stem caps? Typically the TPMS sensors will have a silver looking cap.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #10 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM

I have the TPMS on my 2008 Compass "North". The valve caps that came with it were usless! I couldn't get them off unless I used pliers and then they just fell apart. I put the plastic ones instead.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I have heard of that problem dgage, something about the corrosion of those caps that makes them difficult to remove. I know someone that happened to and they ended up having to replace a couple sensors in the effort to get the caps off, glad that wasn't you, but I like the plastic caps, also.

- Cherokee

post #12 of 32 Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM

mine kept sticking also, so i put a touch of anti-seize on each one and threaded them on, no problems since
post #13 of 32 Old 08-21-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok the rims currently on my jeep are rubber stems so i dont have the tpms sensors at the moment. my question is what recieves the data from the sensors,

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #14 of 32 Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 AM

Did you end up painting them yet because I plan on doing the same thing to mine. Just wondering how it turned out
post #15 of 32 Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i dont need them ready till late oct when i buy a new set of rubber, dont wanna start on the rims untill my exhaust is done

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #16 of 32 Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

What kind of paint are you going to use? I've heard good results from the Duplicolor Plastikote. Seems to hold up really well in winter and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

- Cherokee

post #17 of 32 Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Im gonna use Duplicolor engine enamal with ceramic, and some clearcoat. flat black paint and hopefully i can find the dull finish clearcoat i want

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #18 of 32 Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
started back on this project now that my exhaust is done, picked up duplicolor high performance flat black, clear coat, and some primer.

got one wheel primed gonna paint in later and see how it turns out

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #19 of 32 Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
got 2 rims done, ill probably do the other 2 next weekend then tires in a few weeks

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #20 of 32 Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Looking good, nice job on that! How long did it take to do?

- Cherokee

post #21 of 32 Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got about 6 hours invested in those 2, the other 2 should take less. sanding and waiting for stuff to dry takes most of that time lol

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #22 of 32 Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 AM

Damn that's gonna look nice. I can't wait to see pictures with them on the Jeep!

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.
post #23 of 32 Old 09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheWoll View Post
Damn that's gonna look nice. I can't wait to see pictures with them on the Jeep!
Same here, looking forward to the pics of them on the Compass!

- Cherokee

post #24 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
got 2 rims done, ill probably do the other 2 next weekend then tires in a few weeks
These look dope!! Ill have to check back and see how they look on the jeep. I wish I could find a deal like that on a set of wheels.

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

post #25 of 32 Old 09-23-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
just gotta know where to look, and determine value. to him they were taking up garage space, to me their my new badass rims lol.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)

Last edited by Cherokee; 09-24-2010 at 06:17 AM.
post #26 of 32 Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
blacked out rims finished total cost 225 including rims, going tire shopping next weekend.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #27 of 32 Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

What a hell of a good deal..........and they look great........can't wait to see them mounted !!!! Great job my friend !!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #28 of 32 Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you, ya im excited to see them mounted too.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #29 of 32 Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
going to get my Hankook W409 Winter i*Pike's installed tomorrow morning, i went with a 225/55/R17. the 55 will help a bit when i lower it next year. as per usual ill post pics

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #30 of 32 Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in