K&N Cold air intake question - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Smile K&N Cold air intake question

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Happy to be here! I just bought myself a 2014 Jeep Compass Latitude and I am a very happy owner. I came from a 2007 Pontiac Grand prix gt.. that I absolutely loved for years.... grand prixs had a very active forum community that I was apart of, and I'm looking forward to being apart of this forum.

HOWEVER,
The reason I am writing this thread is that I have a few questions about the K&N Cold air intake :
63-1567 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kits, Performance Intake Kit
I had purchased this today, I'm wondering if this will void my manufacturers warranty?

I heard that this will make the engine a lot louder (similar to my grand prix)...
Is it ricey sounding? how bearable is the sound?
What about water or rain getting in the intake? is it blocked from water?

Thanks guys,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you have a 2014 without the FDII package you will have a 6 speed automatic, not the CVT transmission, I have the exact intake on my 2012, and while driving normally light to medium acceleration isn't too loud but full throttle is. Cruising down the highway I hardly hear the intake at all. Having the 6 speed will make it more bearable for sure.

2012 Jeep Compass night acceleration - YouTube

That's a video from the outside showing a full throttle run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response!
I do indeed have the 6 speed automatic... which is WAYYYYY different than my old 4 speed grand prix.. but I'll get used to it. I had a K&N on the 3800 , and boy it lasted 5-6 years with very little maintenance. Gas mileage was barely noticeable... but the torque and response was always there.... the v6's sound sexy with the K&N's ... i cannot imagine what this 4 banger will sound like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

So as an update.. I want to say that the intake for this 2014 2.4L jeep was the biggest pain in the ass. It took me hours to do... just tons of frustration.. nothing lined up correctly... took several tugs and pulling to get it at least somewhat together.. several washers fell into the engine bay... nuts and bolts not fitting.. I was disappointed about the tension on the engine computer harness... it may break down the road. Definitely felt the improvement in the Low end ... it certainly has a nice sound... makes the shifting differently... i dont want to say smoother.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxstone View Post
So as an update.. I want to say that the intake for this 2014 2.4L jeep was the biggest pain in the ass. It took me hours to do... just tons of frustration.. nothing lined up correctly... took several tugs and pulling to get it at least somewhat together.. several washers fell into the engine bay... nuts and bolts not fitting.. I was disappointed about the tension on the engine computer harness... it may break down the road. Definitely felt the improvement in the Low end ... it certainly has a nice sound... makes the shifting differently... i dont want to say smoother.
welcome to your second home

BUILD IT ... OWN IT

- 1998 2Dr Tahoe V8 4X4 (a Project!
)
- 1998 4Dr Yukon v8 4X4 (sold)
- 2008 FJ Cruiser V6 4X4 fully loaded (totaled)
- 2014 Jeep Compass Sport 4X4 (Soon hopefully)

Instagram: Wild_westcoast
post #6 of 12 Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone with a K&N dealt with water getting in the intake?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have plowed through lots of water with my compass, and nothing more than a few drops, obviously if you are careful and not stupid i'd have a hard time believing anyone could hydrolock the engine.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #8 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 AM

Garage
question to al of u that has put and cold air intake on did u replace the hole old box and what did u do with the computer cause its mounted on top of the old set up can u give pic if possible
post #9 of 12 Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
On the 2011+ Compass' the K&N kit has provisions to mount the computer on top of the air box. THe factory one is completely removed and replaced by a metal box, computer sits on top of that.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #10 of 12 Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Garage
I see thankls tyler
post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 03:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxstone View Post
If it didn't fit, did you talk to K&N? I was going to consider one, but not if I have to butcher this thing up... May just get an element.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-31-2014, 04:43 PM

Get a drop in filter which replaces the existing element if you must have a K & N installed. If you drive in dusty conditions I'd stay away from their filters. They are a lot more porous than a good oem filter.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in