Headlights HID problems - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlights HID problems

I installed bi xenon H13 HID on my headlights and I had some problems with it. On the DRL, the HID are supposed to be off, but sometimes they are off, sometimes, one is lit, sometimes both are lit but one is flickering. When on I'm on my night lights, the bulbs are powerful and don't flicker but sometimes they stop working for one second and start again.

I tought it was the relay harness, but I heard many stuff from Canbus vehicules that the computer sees that it is not the normal current and blah blah blah...

I still haven't received my new harness to test it but do you guys had problems too?

Last edited by mowgli; 08-23-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Garage
pretty sure nobody on the forum has installed HID's, i was going to but i heard of a nightmare story from a patriot owner and HID lights, where each side required 3 extra relays to make them work. what HID kit are you useing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
post #3 of 29 Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I've heard other folks have problems installing them as well. I'm curious as to which kit you're using as well, but I can find a good write up on that for you if you'd like. Granted, it will be for a Ram truck, but the principle is the same. They were having problems with the lights flickering or not turning on at all, but after they installed the relays, things seemed to work well. Let me know and I can get you some good install info.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm gonna try with my new harness or to put one harness per connector. If all this fails, I'm gonna need some more help! :P
post #5 of 29 Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Garage
I had a buddy install them on his Ram and the RCMP gave him a ticket because they wouldn't work in all 3 factory modes (daytime running, low and high). As far as I know there isn't a kit out there that does daytime running properly.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #6 of 29 Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I had a buddy install them on his Ram and the RCMP gave him a ticket because they wouldn't work in all 3 factory modes (daytime running, low and high). As far as I know there isn't a kit out there that does daytime running properly.
No it cannot make the DRL but you can replace them with led strips or leds or you can make them light during daytime.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #7 of 29 Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 AM

Garage
The law as written states that any aftermarket HID system must function as the original was designed by the manufacturer. I used to work for the DOJ. I do know of one guy that bypassed his to make them work with DRL but I don't know how he did that. I'm going to see if he still has the schematic next time I talk to him.

Direct quote from a friend of mine still in DOJ:

"To date, no aftermarket HID conversion or retrofit kit has been approved by any government regulating body. All conversion and retrofit kits being sold have the explicit disclaimer “For Off-Road Use Only”".

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness

Last edited by smokey01; 08-29-2010 at 03:33 AM.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 AM

Well I find the Compass lights with those big head lamps pretty bright and have an tight upper clipping of the beam. It does no radiate higher to affect the oncoming traffic. However, if brighter was required I would simply install GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs. They are up to 80 or 90% brighter (advertised) and plug & play with the same wattage.

I have them in two other 4x4 and you can really see the difference. They are sold in Canada exclusively by Canadian Tire. Many vehicles don't handle HID well due to lack of control of the light and you end up blinding the other drivers. Thats not the objective in having bright lights or more light and you are more likely to get pulled over and ticketed. Parbolic and or projection fixtures from my reading are best for HID illumination since the control and focus the light very well. I can't see these wide big head lamps in the Compass doing that effectively at all. Hence I would not be in favour of it being on my roads.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #9 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Administrator

I like the HID's, was looking into a set for my truck and I still may end up doing it, but I think I'm going with the the halo's instead, too bad they don't have those for the Compass, at least not that I've seen.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #10 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM

Garage
It would be a nice set up but I haven't seen a kit either. I like the look of them and the brightness of them too.

post #11 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM

I have to agree with Tripplec on this one. I put a set on my Vibe and I intend to upgrade the Compass shortly. They seem to pick up deer and skunks nicely.

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #12 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWoodca View Post
I have to agree with Tripplec on this one. I put a set on my Vibe and I intend to upgrade the Compass shortly. They seem to pick up deer and skunks nicely.
Thanks oh wise Ironwood, There is not rewiring or risk of harness/connector burnout which is very common these days with higher current solutions. I was quite satisfied with the on coming look as well. they also have a blue tinge largely because of a blue ring near the base of the glass to get that effect but the light is white.

Back to HID and the Compass electrical systems. If their light is controled and powered by say the TPIM or other electronic/relay systems. That would have to be bypassed to some degree. HID have a very high start current and may vary with starter circuits but having read dozens of post in the Cherokee forums in the pass. You're looking at 15-20 amp surge/HID before they drop down after they illuminate.

I suppose its possible to use the existing circuit as a trigger to turn on the HID ballast which would have to get power from the batter through much heavier gauge wire.

For me I just don't want to go down that road. I recently found the amber/yellow fog light bulbs I have worked extremely well a few weeks back in a major down pour.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've seen some halo kits for the compass but they are made from the most expensive lightning company : Oracle Lightning Technology.

Check out this website : http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...hthalokit.aspx

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #14 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Honestly I don't think HID are dangerous for your electrical system. I've installed 20 and more kits on my cars and my friends' car and I've never had problems. Also, the ignition current is 8.5A and the normal current is 3.5A. It is not 15-20A.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #15 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
I've seen some halo kits for the compass but they are made from the most expensive lightning company : Oracle Lightning Technology.

Check out this website : http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...hthalokit.aspx
The kit header for the above refers to "Headlight kit" and yet in the listing of what you get below it the last line is "- Everything you need to add Demon Eyes to your Foglights!"

So is this the lower foglights upgrade or the main headlights? Also no mention of being DRL compatible as we have in Canadian builds.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is the page with the headlight kit and the fog light kit : http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...d=jeep+compass

You just have to make them light up with the ignition and you just got your DRL. But you have to disable your DRL on your halogen bulbs.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #17 of 29 Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Garage
Those look cool but cutting open my headlights doesn't excite me so much. I think I'll keep my warranty for now and maybe it's something to do later.

post #18 of 29 Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Administrator

I've seen some of Oracle's stuff, very nice!

- Cherokee

post #19 of 29 Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Garage
So are the HID lights working?

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #20 of 29 Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm still waiting the harness. Probably this week.
If it doesn't work, I may try single beam HID. The high beam will be my future off road lights!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #21 of 29 Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Administrator

That sounds like a good setup mowgli. We definitely want pics!

- Cherokee

post #22 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Tripplec,
Did you ever find Nighthawks in the H13/9008 size?
I have been looking and have had no luck so far.

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #23 of 29 Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM

Has anyone ever had a car behind them, with aftermarket HIDs on? It's blinding at night, and even during the day, they are too much. And even with that, most are misaligned. One pointing, maybe, to the ground, the other into my rearview mirror(s).
I understand the need to see at night, but blinding other drivers is not safe. I have sent many letter and emails to local officials about this, but never get an answer. Go figure.
I'm all for modding out one's car, you should see my PT Cruiser. But nothing that I do to my cars, ever distract, or blind other drivers.
Thank you for letting me vent on this subject.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziason View Post
Has anyone ever had a car behind them, with aftermarket HIDs on? It's blinding at night, and even during the day, they are too much. And even with that, most are misaligned. One pointing, maybe, to the ground, the other into my rearview mirror(s).
I understand the need to see at night, but blinding other drivers is not safe. I have sent many letter and emails to local officials about this, but never get an answer. Go figure.
I'm all for modding out one's car, you should see my PT Cruiser. But nothing that I do to my cars, ever distract, or blind other drivers.
Thank you for letting me vent on this subject.
I don't want to start a war with you but it depends from a lot of things.
Projector/reflector headlights, 35W/55W, age of the car, etc. But it is true that projector type headlights are better for HID.

But I have a 35W HID kit and I haven't touch the aiming and it's really not blinding.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #25 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've just received another bi xenon relay harness and there's nothing to do. The bulb is going crazy with the DRL. I will have to turn my low beam on all the time or to bypass the high beam and put a single beam HID kit.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #26 of 29 Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Ziason, I have the perfect lights for you. I bought a set of lights that go to low beam when you put on the high beam. Needless to say I am not using them.

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #27 of 29 Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 PM

Hey I really need some help with my Innovited 10000k H13 Bi-xenon kit. (2007 jeep Compass)

I bought them not too long ago and when I initially installed them, they were fine when the car wasn't running, but when I turn the car on they flicker then go out. The instructions say to install a load resistor so I skipped up to autozone and purchased one. It was a little bronze rectangular device that I installed into my stock high and low beam wires.

That night, as I was walking out of a restaurant for my girlfriend's birthday dinner, I innocently press the unlock button on my keys, thus turning on my lights. As I walk up I hear my ignition turning over. I hear my car trying to start itself. I don't think much of it, because I hop in and start it and drive off, no harm done, right?
Boy was I wrong.

A week later, on Thanksgiving, I volunteered to make a beer run for my visiting cousins for the holiday. It happens again. But this time it's a whole lot better. Just as I'm pulling out of my addition, about 1/2 of a mile my car just dies.
Completely dies. In the middle of an intersection. I luckily had enough momentum to get to the side of the road but I was shocked. What is wrong? My car wouldn't start. I just would hear a click...click...click.

We take my car to a local repair shop and they inform me that my starter had been fried. $400 fix. ($280 labor, $120 part)

Just my luck.

But oooooh it gets better.

About another week later...IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

FML

on a school night at 11:30 in the cold on my way home from work at Coney Island.

Luck this repair was free, thank god for warranties right?

So I figured that the culprit was my unlock button on my keys. So in order to keep my HIDs I would just have to manually unlock my car.

This method was efficient for about 3 weeks.

As I'm walking out of the mall with my girlfriend I manually unlock my car and start it, then once again innocently turn on my headlights, I hear my starter turning over, but my car was already started..and IT WOULDN'T STOP.

I PANICKED.

IT KEPT GOING

WHAT DO I DO.

It began to smoke up, I panic even harder.
(I felt like a weak idiot in front of my girl too.)

It kept going and going and smoking and then...just stopped.

"Well this is the end, my parents are gonna have my head." I thought.

I called them and told them I need a ride and a tow.

As my dad arrives we try starting it one more time, and its fine.

"FINE?!" I thought to myself. How is this possible?

It was fine, and still is. I'm currently cruising with stock headlights (ugly). And messgaed the seller I purchased these from. He said I need a resistor relay harness and it is in the mail as we speak.

I just need opinions, help, anything to help me keep these beautiful lights because I cannot do stock headlights anymore.

there's the culprit ^^ (I think, and hope)
post #28 of 29 Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 AM

Sooooo I've noticed no one has had luck with HID headlights...but then again there has only been one post since 2010. Six years later....I have found HID conversion kits for Hi-beam, Lo-beam, and fog lights. Haven't installed them yet and I'm a little weary after reading the last post...

SO ANY NEW UPDATES ANYONE???
post #29 of 29 Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM

Just installed my second set in my lows on my 2015, bought a cheap set first burnt up a ballast so I spent a little bit more and got a set of opt7 10k with the relay harness and anti warning capacitor (ddon'tneed but came with the kit) very happy with them so far and no problems

What stop sign

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in