Jeep OEM Off Road lights - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Jeep OEM Off Road lights

Hi! I want to buy some Jeep OEM off road lights for my compass. Does anybody know if they are HID compatible? The wires for halogen bulbs are already there with a waterproof seal. Is there a way I could pass HID wires and reseal this?

Thank you for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Administrator

I take it you're looking to add lights? "Offroad" lights are still going to be halogen simply because when you do HID's, you're doing a halogen to xenon conversion. Your best bet would be to go HID heads/fogs and just add the offroad lights, (KC makes some awesome ones for that and, IMO, they are the brightest) where you have options as to how and where you want to mount them, behind the grille or a lightbar on the front bumper.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 13 Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So it is impossible to put HID in the off road lights?

HID Trois-Rivières /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 AM

Garage
I know that KC used to make HID upgrade kits for thier lights, they may be compatable with the stock light. KC also makes aftermarket HID off road lights with wiring harnesses. It might be easier to install them than try to swap everything out, especially if you have to install the lights anyway.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #5 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I just bought the lights for 180$ CAN on Ebay. With the covers, bumper kit and wiring kit.
I'll figure out what to do when I will receive them.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #6 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
I just bought the lights for 180$ CAN on Ebay. With the covers, bumper kit and wiring kit.
I'll figure out what to do when I will receive them.
So you did find the offroad HID's? Not a bad price there if you did.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I received my Mopar OEM off road lights today. I've figured out how to convert them to HID but I am a bit aware that water may enter in the lens if I don't seal everything back properly.

The part of drilling the bumper is a bit scary though!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Sounds cool! A thin bead of silicone should help with sealing them back up and keeping water out. Can't wait to see some pics!

- Cherokee

post #9 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anybody here added the Mopar off road lights to their compass?
I am a bit confused with the mouting brackets.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #10 of 13 Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 AM

Garage
Pretty sure someone on here has written up the off road lights install. Think u have to drill holes into the top of the bumper and there are some clasps for the bolts that have to go in there too. Not that sure. Have a search on the forum.

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Garage
When I added mine the bumper was drilled then the beam inside the bumper was drilled into. You then require a special tool to install the rivnuts to hold the light bracket in place. After being bolted on the adhesive cap is put in place and lights are added.

These are most likely the instructions you got with the Mopar lights
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210706AE.pdf

Here's the bumper when I added mine. Only difference is you won't have the spacer, will drill a second hole and just bolt directly to the bumper beam.
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...5&postcount=28

Hope this helps you out.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah that's the part with the rivnut. And when you drill the 1 1/2" hole, you remove the bumper cover and the impact foam, but when (or with what dimension) you drill in the bumper frame? The rivnut will be installed in the bumper frame?

HID Trois-Rivières /

Last edited by mowgli; 09-26-2010 at 04:09 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Garage
I didn't remove my facia and impact foam, just drilled straight through and had a nice pilot for the next bit. I didn't use the mopar arms with mine but it looks like the smaller locating hole is 16mm center to center behind the larger rivnut hole. I'd drill through until I hit the bumper frame and leave a mark for the center hole, drop the pilot bit back inside the hole saw and finish the hole or completely remove the pilot bit and finish the hole. You could remove the bumper at that point and measure back 16mm for the 3/16 locating hole and drill the locating hole and the 9/16" rivnut hole and add the rivnut I assume it would be easier to keep everything straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in