Install a remote starter (generic brand, 1 button style) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Install a remote starter (generic brand, 1 button style)

Hi,

I'm just wondering how it's hard to install a remote starting system on a 2k10 Jeep Compass (4WD, CVT2)? I'm located in north Quebec (Canada) and winter here are very cold and a remote starting system is a must-have!

I got a friend who sell car electronics and he offer me a simple 1-button generic remote start system and a specific bypass/MUX module for the Jeep Compass.

Because the Compass have the keyless entry remote built into the key, I don't see the point of hooking up the door locks and panic button to the remote starter control... in my mind, if I don't hook up any extra features on the remote, it gonna make the installation a lot easier, true?

So how complicated is the installation? Anybody have written a "HOW-TO" for that? In fact I never do installation of remote starting system, but I do a few aftermarket keyless entry system and I do SEVERAL custom audio system installation in many brand/model of cars.

Thank you very much!!!

PS : Sorry for my poor english.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Good Luck!

Last edited by ziason; 11-10-2010 at 09:41 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You can't install any generic remote starter from eBay or other source without adding a specific bypass/mux module for your Jeep Compass because the Compass used a electronic controller starting system, so you can't hook up the remote starter directly on the "starting" wire in the main harness of the car like older cars. My 2k10 Chevy Cobalt was exactly the same than the Compass.

But with the correct specific bypass module you should be able to use ANY generic remote starting system...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Garage
The Compass absolutely needs a module that "speaks" with the ECU for any alarm or remote starter. And the best module to use depends on the brand of your remote starter.

The installation of a remote starter is really complex and should be done by a professional only and even more on vehicles like the compass when the ECU commands everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-RiviŤres /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mowgli; 11-12-2010 at 01:13 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, what you're talking about is called a "multiplexer / bypass combo module". The company "XpressKit" (a brand made of Directed USA) build some cheap and good ones for around 30$. The installation is pretty straight forward, you have around only 3 wires to hook up to the ECU and you need to program the module using both of the factory remotes/keys and that's it. This module provide you the "STARTER WIRE" where you connect the "STARTER OUTPUT" of the remote start module.

Actually I'm pretty confortable with the bypass/MUX module and remote start module wire side. Where's I'm not sure is the vehicule's side of the wires... I'm not sure where all required wires are located in the car... you know what I mean?

For my old 2k3 Chevy Cavalier I found somewhere on the web a VISUAL how-to showing pictures where's the required wires are located in the car. That's exactly what I'm looking for my Compass. Sometime some wires are hard to find or kinda hidden...
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Garage
Yeah I know what you mean, but I've searched for Compass wiring diagram before and I never found one.

And the bypass module that was used for my 2-way alarm/starter combo is a "idatalink" and worth 100$.

HID Trois-RiviŤres /
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Garage
and thats why i paid the money to have mine installed by the pro's, this area doesnt have alot of info surrounding the do it yourselfer. i thought about installing mine myself for about 1 minute while i looked at the wiring diagrams, then booked an appointment with certified radio.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm a technician in computers/electronics/networking so reading diagrams is part of my job daily, so it's not a problem at all. The only part I'm not perfectly sure about is the vehicle's side or the install... anyway thank you for all yours comments, I'm gonna figure out myself out to install that.

BTW I ask most of the local shops where they do remote start install and they are all asking around 250-300$ (CDN) for the MOST basic model available... it's totally outrageous considering I can get all the required material (remote start + bypass/MUX unit) for under 100$... 150-200$ for labor! WTF!?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in