Wheel Sizes - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Sizes

So, I've been thinking... I want to pick up some blacked-out wheels for my Jeep since everything is going black and white in my theme. I still have the stock tires but I'm going to head over to the tire shop here in town this weekend and see what kind of deals they're running.

What I'm asking, is what have you all seen as to how big of a wheel some people are putting on their Compass? My buddy here is trying to sell me his 22's, but I think that's a bit extreme for this Jeep. I don't even think they'd fit... same hole pattern, but the wheel is just too huge.

I was thinking about some 20's on a thicker tire (not like stock size, but definitely not super low-profile) and drop the springs 2 inches. I haven't been able to find too many pictures of a Compass with bigger wheels. I saw one with 20's on the Jeep but it didn't look right... made 22's seem like the way to go but I don't know. I want to be able to drop it 2 inches, maybe 3... so that's why I was thinking just to go with some 20's and a thicker tire.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

SN

--- Pearl White 2008 Jeep Compass Sport 2.4L CVT ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Well you don't want a larger diameter, certainly not more than one size if necessary. It will affect the power and gas millage. The CVT is programmed with an expected gear ratio to the road with the spec'd tire size. The more load the poorer the mileage will be (bigger tier will do that even if it does fit) also the CVT many not settle down internally sensing you're still loading it more than expected and keep the rev up a lot longer than you'd want.

Tell your buddy thanks but no thanks.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly why I was skeptical about the 22's because I would have no tire height if I was trying to stay as close to stock size as possible... I think I remember measuring his tires and they were the same overall size as mine (27 inches, or something like that). For the sake of this discussion, we'll say my wheels are 17's with an overall diameter of 27 inches... If I were to get 20 inch wheels with a lower profile tire that keeps the overall diameter as close to 27 inches as possible, I wouldn't have any issues with the CVT engine, right?

SN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM

You can't go totally like that. It not accurate enough. If you looking at winter tires on Steelies then P215R65/16 would be a good match for the stock size. Rotations are crucial since all your sensors are calibrated for that in detecting slip, spin etc.

Take your OEM spec from your vehicle (inside drivers door) and plug it into this calculator. I posted this in another post a while back. Ideally you don't want to be more that say 2% out either way without good reason. You'll get much better traction with new rubber than an old tire. The rubber hardens etc, snows only good for 4 years and loose traction I recently found out and typically the were manufactered the year before. They have the build date stamped into them.

Use this and you won't go wrong. Assuming reading and comparing is done.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If you plug in the tire size and compare to mine. You'll see the rotation spec's are out by 0.6% and turns 3 time extra in a Km distance (I selected metric). If you go too far off your handling may also be affected. Winter tires have deeper treads and lugs so some tire squirm and movement is expected. This is winter and driving agressively is a no no and you'll join the other yahoo's in the ditch, if you're lucky and if not. Write of your Compass.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

They really didn't make this easy for us, did they? I knew from day one that these CVT engines would just cause mod issues down the road. I used to work for the company that designed and built the assembly line for these 4 cylinder CVT engines in Dundee, Michigan. I don't think it was for these Jeep engines but it was along the same lines.

I'll figure something out... I just wanted a bigger wheel with a 2-3 inch drop to make my Jeep look a bit more aggressive. I'm due for new tires soon anyway.

SN

post #6 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM

It not exclusive to the CVT although it may adapt and sense load. But ABS ECS and the auto 4x4 sensors have their own threshold to kick in on any vehicle. So the more you change the rotations the more the will respond differently.

I would not put big tires on personally unless you have a deal with the local oil company. Gas millage will change. I towed a light empty camp trailer (6x6ft). The wind drag alone affected the RPM's and gas millage.

Wait until someone else tries it out but I am not about to buy as set of tires and rims way off spec and then regret it everytime I fill up at the pump.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHIFTNASTYx View Post
They really didn't make this easy for us, did they? I knew from day one that these CVT engines would just cause mod issues down the road. I used to work for the company that designed and built the assembly line for these 4 cylinder CVT engines in Dundee, Michigan. I don't think it was for these Jeep engines but it was along the same lines.

I'll figure something out... I just wanted a bigger wheel with a 2-3 inch drop to make my Jeep look a bit more aggressive. I'm due for new tires soon anyway.

SN
I know I am joining late but I would not go larger than a 20, I am going with 20x8.5 wheel, 245/35/20 tire..also from experience if you plan on lowering it get GAS shocks good ones, my stock shocks blew after a month of riding low. Just a FYI. German dealer warned me but my Jeep was only a few months old and I thought ahh it will be ok. nope I was wrong, I have the H&R springs/ Eihbac makes a set also. It also made squeky and popping sounds when i left the garage i took it back and they replaced some parts bushings and seat were the coils sits, no more squeaks. once i get my 15 post and home with the rims on i will post some pics. hopefully im not to late..on my advice
post #8 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Garage
welcome to the forum iamdugliest, i am familiar with your ride from cardomain. glad to see you on here!

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Hey how is it going? , yeah my vehicles got delete from car domain for some reason. my profile is still there but no vehicles. when I go home from here on vacation I will fix again..hope all is well...later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in