HID experiments & how-to - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HID experiments & how-to

Finally I've been able to have some fully reliable non blinding HID's on my Compass head lights. I've been working on this since 3 months to finally come up with the final result. I've made a PDF to download and I'll post pics tomorrow.

http://www.freewebs.com/hidtr/HID-how-to.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Garage
Awesome! thanks for putting that all together.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #3 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Very nice mowgli, thanks for taking the time to put that together, reps to ya when I can again!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've added pictures of the installation in the PDF and here are some daytime pictures :

(6000k heads & 30000k fogs)

I'll take some night shots tonight!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #5 of 34 Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Nice pics! What's all that white stuff lol!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #6 of 34 Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #7 of 34 Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Nice shot, the night pic really tells the story!

- Cherokee

post #8 of 34 Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update : I really suggest you add some capacitors to your installation.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #9 of 34 Old 05-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Garage
Did one of you tried a 55w HID kit? logically, these kits should not cause any flickering because there are the same as the halogen 55w filament bulbs. I' thinking about buying a single beam kit from eBay, not vvme because they don't have the new slim digital ballasts, but some from china.

FliPPeR
------------
2008 Bright Silver North Edition 4x4 manual trans.
post #10 of 34 Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Did one of you tried a 55w HID kit? logically, these kits should not cause any flickering because there are the same as the halogen 55w filament bulbs. I' thinking about buying a single beam kit from eBay, not vvme because they don't have the new slim digital ballasts, but some from china.
I don't think you should put a 55W HID kit on your Jeep. 55W on reflector lights will blind other people. Plus, it's not really a question of power. Yes 55W is the power of the standard halogen bulb but a ballast draws 5.8A on the start up and 3.4A when it's stable. So these are not standard current values on a halogen bulb.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #11 of 34 Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 AM

Garage
I finally decided to buy a Canbus compatible 35 W single beam HID kit on eBay. Slim ballast, genuine german Hylux ballast asic chip, they told me they are compatible with our computers and will not flicker. 30 days money back... I will buy and let you know! $85 shipped, I think it's a steal. I'm thinking about 6000K, that what I had in my previous car and liked the color, not too flashy.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

By the way mowgli, where did you put the ballasts for the HID in the fogs?

FliPPeR
------------
post #12 of 34 Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I never tried canbus ballasts but it's just a regular ballast with a capacitor added inside. It should work.

I put ballasts for the fogs on a metal beam under the radiator or I stick them direclty on the inside of the bumper. I use 3M double sided tape to install all my ballasts. Once the surface is clean, it should stay in place forever!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #13 of 34 Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Garage
It was too good to be true... I ordered the Canbus ballasts HID kit and finally it 's not 100% working, gives the same results as your setup #3... It was really nice because the bulbs have an halogen high beam on them so both DRL & high beams (halogen, not HID) were still working. Once in a while they both "slowly" turn on & off randomly not together so it looks really stupid. I am thinking about adding a relay & fuse harness that I have from an old fog light kit so that low beam would be powered directly from the battery (using relay) but keeping the high beam & ground connected on oem plugs. I will try it out in the next days and let you know!

FliPPeR
------------
post #14 of 34 Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Damn that sucks! Anyone installing HID's on a Compass 1st gen should put a single beam kit. Anyways a halogen bulb placed on top like yours and a bi-xenon bulb doesn't really make a good high beam. A HID low beam is enough.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #15 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM

Garage
Yeah!! With a bit more money and most of all some free time, I was finally able to install my HID kit and it's 100% working, no flickers or anything. Thanks to mowgli for all the ideas... I made my own relay harness (cost was about $10) and my kit came with halogen high beam so I connected it and the ground on the oem 9008 plugs from the Compass, then for the HID low beams I used a connection with a 40A relay & activation on the low beam from the oem plug on the left side. I know the halogen high beams sucks but at least I'm legal because I still have DRL that are mandatory here in Quebec and functional high beams...

FliPPeR
------------
post #16 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good to hear!
I'm still legal too because I've put my DRL on something else so I still have some. And I have now a dimming HID kit which can go from 35W to 55W so I can have high beam. And when I start my off road HID lights, it's insane!

HID Trois-Rivières /

Last edited by mowgli; 06-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.
post #17 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah!! With a bit more money and most of all some free time, I was finally able to install my HID kit and it's 100% working, no flickers or anything. Thanks to mowgli for all the ideas... I made my own relay harness (cost was about $10) and my kit came with halogen high beam so I connected it and the ground on the oem 9008 plugs from the Compass, then for the HID low beams I used a connection with a 40A relay & activation on the low beam from the oem plug on the left side. I know the halogen high beams sucks but at least I'm legal because I still have DRL that are mandatory here in Quebec and functional high beams...
no, you're not. HID conversion kits themselves are illegal. nice try though
post #18 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
no, you're not. HID conversion kits themselves are illegal. nice try though
And why is it illegal my friend?

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #19 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
And why is it illegal my friend?
all HID retrofit kits are against the law, both in Canada and the US. they emit an illegal beam pattern, and are outside the legal color spectrum.

and please, do not reply with "but mine don't glare, i aimed them down," "no one has ever flashed me before," or "i had my buddy drive at me, he said they were fine." i've heard it all before. trust me when i say i know what i'm talking about.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
all HID retrofit kits are against the law, both in Canada and the US. they emit an illegal beam pattern, and are outside the legal color spectrum.

and please, do not reply with "but mine don't glare, i aimed them down," "no one has ever flashed me before," or "i had my buddy drive at me, he said they were fine." i've heard it all before. trust me when i say i know what i'm talking about.
I could tell all the sentences you said and this would be true but I will only tell you that I live in Quebec and I have an official car modification guide released by the police and there is no law in Quebec that is against HID's. You have to respect the color but 4300k, 6000k and 8000k respect the color. So I think I know what I'm talking about too my friend! But I'm talking about Quebec, nowhere else.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #21 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
I could tell all the sentences you said and this would be true but I will only tell you that I live in Quebec and I have an official car modification guide released by the police and there is no law in Quebec that is against HID's. You have to respect the color but 4300k, 6000k and 8000k respect the color. So I think I know what I'm talking about too my friend! But I'm talking about Quebec, nowhere else.
sorry, they're illegal in canada too

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stern Lighting
...What about the law, what does it have to say on the matter? In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal. They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations. They're illegal in the US and Canada. Some people dismiss this because North American regulations, in particular, are written in such a manner as to reject a great many genuinely good headlamps. Nevertheless, on the particular count of HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps, the world's regulators and engineers all say DON'T...
and even though it specifies the US, here is a page from Hella saying how people take their products and modify them and resell them, and how unsafe and illegal they are (again, they specify only in the US, but they are also illegal in Canada). i'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just throwing the propor information out there. they are illegal and unsafe.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...d_Approved.jsp

Last edited by IRSmart; 06-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
sorry, they're illegal in canada too

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
I don't care whatever article you throw like this. I have an official document and it is not written that HID's are illegal in Quebec.

And I think that with my company I am in a good position to talk about HID's because I've seen many and many different cars. I have to tell that bi-xenon HID's produce illegal pattern and also some bulbs that use spacers. But direct fit/bolt-on bulbs produce exactly the same pattern than an halogen bulb. You're proving your point with articles made by mr. Nobody, I'm proving my point with an official document and my experience with 30 HID kits. I don't see any point on arguing with you much.

HID Trois-Rivières /

Last edited by mowgli; 06-22-2011 at 06:16 PM.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Garage
Hmmm, this conversation with IRSmart seems awfully familiar... ~~~(flashback sequence to http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...version-3.html)~~~

Bottom line is this: There are laws about different things in different places. Many are open to interpretation and most are not reinforced. If you really want to get down to it, 99% of people that drive do something illegal every day, whether it is not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, running a red light, not using their turn signal, not yielding properly, no lights in bad weather, etc. Sometimes, believe it or not, laws can conflict with themselves in some form or another.

If Mowgli wants to drive around with HID's in a housing not ordinarily meant for them, fine. If the law says HID's are illegal or not in Quebec, fine. If he has an official document that says nothing about them being illegal, fine. If a Bulldog wants to mate with a Schih Tzu, fine.

Your point has been made (several times) and I think that most people are aware that HID's are illegal in many areas. It is up to each individual if they want to take the chance or not. I personally don't see a reason to bring something up and harp on it if it does not directly affect my life and it brings someone else joy in their life...

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
post #24 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't care whatever article you throw like this. I have an official document and it is not written that HID's are illegal in Quebec.

And I think that with my company I am in a good position to talk about HID's because I've seen many and many different cars. I have to tell that bi-xenon HID's produce illegal pattern and also some bulbs that use spacers. But direct fit/bolt-on bulbs produce exactly the same pattern than an halogen bulb. You're proving your point with articles made by mr. Nobody, I'm proving my point with an official document and my experience with 30 HID kits. I don't see any point on arguing with you much.
does your document specifically say that putting in an HID retrofit kit is legal, or does it simply not mention that putting them in is illegal? that's a big difference.

but a direct, bolt-in HID bulb does not produce the same beam pattern as a hallogen bulb. it's geometry, it is impossible to have the same beam pattern when the location of the light source changes inside the focal point, which is the case with a hallogen to HID conversion.

if you don't trust "mr. nobody," hear it from the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Mr. Jeff Deetz, Sales Manager, Santeca Electronics, Inc., 7215 East 21<sup>st</sup> Street, Suite D, Indianapolis, IN 46219
Mr. Simon S. Shih, 4 Teal, Irvine, CA* 92604
Mr. Song M. Kim, C.M.O./Fanteks, Inc., 580 Sylvan Ave., Suite 1A, Englewood Cliffs, NJ* 07632

or how about official documents from the United States Department of Transportation, showing the different categories that the kits failed in? in these examples, the DOT used "bolt-in" HID kits. wait...i thought that if you got bolt-in kits, the beam pattern is "exactly the same." why is the beam pattern drastically different, each out of the three times it is tested? it's because an HID bulb's arc-style light source is in a different location than a hallogen's filament.

http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/H..._HID_Retro.pdf
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/H..._HID_Retro.pdf
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/H...ID_Retro_a.pdf

like i said last time, yes, the laws are different everywhere. but the bottom line is, HID kits are illegal (in both the US and Canada), unsafe, and unreliable. with that said, i am not going to come to any of your houses and make you remove them, i'm not going to flame anyone for having them, nor will i ever ask anyone to remove them. i am simply in the business is spreading correct information, in the hopes that someone will use that information for good. but i will not be told that i am wrong, because i'm not. my claims have a backup based in science, and proof showing both the fact that they are illegal, and scientific evidence showing why

Last edited by IRSmart; 06-22-2011 at 08:07 PM.
post #25 of 34 Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNightling View Post
Hmmm, this conversation with IRSmart seems awfully familiar... ~~~(flashback sequence to http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...version-3.html)~~~

Bottom line is this: There are laws about different things in different places. Many are open to interpretation and most are not reinforced. If you really want to get down to it, 99% of people that drive do something illegal every day, whether it is not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, running a red light, not using their turn signal, not yielding properly, no lights in bad weather, etc. Sometimes, believe it or not, laws can conflict with themselves in some form or another.

If Mowgli wants to drive around with HID's in a housing not ordinarily meant for them, fine. If the law says HID's are illegal or not in Quebec, fine. If he has an official document that says nothing about them being illegal, fine. If a Bulldog wants to mate with a Schih Tzu, fine.

Your point has been made (several times) and I think that most people are aware that HID's are illegal in many areas. It is up to each individual if they want to take the chance or not. I personally don't see a reason to bring something up and harp on it if it does not directly affect my life and it brings someone else joy in their life...
i agree with everything you've said. he can do as he wishes. i am not trying to tell anyone what to do. i didn't even really bring it up, i was simply correcting the poster that said his car was illegal. when asked why, i explained why. i was then told i was wrong, to which i defended my answer. that's all. everyone here is free to do as they wish, but at least they will do so informed.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Garage
Wow, sorry for starting all that discussion about legallity... I know adding HID to regular headlights made for halogen are not 100% legal but I know police will tolerate them in Quebec. When I say that I am legal, I meant that I still have DRL & some sort of high beams in case of an inspection, I think it's more legal than killing those 2 functions. My 2 cents!

I am so happy, the light output is so much better and it looks great! Don't care about how much annoying it is for other drivers, I see better.

Advise from me: Don't buy those CANBUS compatible ballasts, it's B.S. You will need an installation with Relay harness anyway on the Jeep.

FliPPeR
------------
post #27 of 34 Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, sorry for starting all that discussion about legallity... I know adding HID to regular headlights made for halogen are not 100% legal but I know police will tolerate them in Quebec. When I say that I am legal, I meant that I still have DRL & some sort of high beams in case of an inspection, I think it's more legal than killing those 2 functions. My 2 cents!

I am so happy, the light output is so much better and it looks great! Don't care about how much annoying it is for other drivers, I see better.
Advise from me: Don't buy those CANBUS compatible ballasts, it's B.S. You will need an installation with Relay harness anyway on the Jeep.
the light output isn't better, it's scattered like crazy, hense the legality. and your lack of concern about other people is a little disturbing
post #28 of 34 Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
the light output isn't better, it's scattered like crazy, hense the legality. and your lack of concern about other people is a little disturbing
Yeah I think everybody should care a bit about the other drivers but hell yeah the light output is better. With my offroad lights, I see at about 1km and I don't think halogen bulbs can't ever do this. I think you never tried HID's or you absolutely don't know what you are talking about.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #29 of 34 Old 06-26-2011, 02:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I think everybody should care a bit about the other drivers but hell yeah the light output is better. With my offroad lights, I see at about 1km and I don't think halogen bulbs can't ever do this. I think you never tried HID's or you absolutely don't know what you are talking about.
actually, i have tried them. i put them in my mustang (the correct way, with projectors) but i didn't like them and i took them out. and with all due respect, i've backed my claims up with links showing scientific evidence that proves what i'm trying to say. how can you claim i don't know what i'm talking about?
post #30 of 34 Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If it is really illegal why do thousand of people run them in Canada and the police don't do a thing? I've never heard anyone doing an accident and said that he was blind by HID lights.

If it is really crap, why do cars come with factory HID's? Oh yeah it's supposed to be out of the legal color but it is 4300k and aftermarket HID's can be sold in 4300k.

I think you stick too much to your articles and your one-time experience. I didn't have a great experience with HID's when I tried bi-xenon on my Compass neither. But single beam is perfect, you cannot say it is all crap, it is not all crap because we would not have so many cars with HID's on our roads.

HID Trois-Rivières /

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in