Bixenon HID Problems - help!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Bixenon HID Problems - help!!

I'm new to this forum but have seen that many of you may be able to help me solve a couple problems regarding the installation of my HID headlights.

Attached you'll find a picture of my OEM headlight with proper beam pattern on the right, and on the left you'll see my installed 5000k Notto SE xenon hid bulb. I ordered and received the proper size (H13) but the beam pattern is highly disturbed, can anybody help? I thought I would just be able to remove the OEM bulb and duplicate its pattern with the new hid bulb, but I guess not.

Another issue I'm having deals with the electrical aspect. As mentioned earlier, the bulbs are bixenon. I thought I had followed all wiring installation correctly, but the first two times I switch from high beam to low, the bulbs (for about half a second) turn off, then the low beams turn on. After this, once I go from high beam to low again, the low beams never turn on. At this point, even my driving lights (which only work when low beams are on) turn off, indicating something is happening to the entire electrical system. If I turn off my lights entirely for a while, or turn my Compass off/on, the low beams come back on and the same pattern continues when I go from high beam to low beam. Could this be some type of fuse or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2925.jpg (84.5 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 AM

Garage
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I had the same problems! You must not use bi-xenon HID kit on a Compass/Patriot. They are super blinding, I don't know if you looked from the front at a certain distance, but it's very blinding. It's like if the bi-xenon bulb has a too different shape and it affects the light output.

You must use a single beam HID kit with some modifications. And I guess you have DRL?

Check out my thread : http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2505

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad I got such a quick reply but I wish I would've known I was wasting $125 when I bought a bixenon kit - are you sure there's no way the bulbs can be adjusted to provide a consistent beam pattern? If by DRL you mean lights that are on continuously without me having to turn them on, I do not have those. The shape of the bixenon bulb is definitely different than that of the OEM bulb, so are you saying the single beam hid bulb is similar in shape and would thus contribute a similar beam pattern? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 AM

Garage
Yeah check out my pdf in my thread, it will answer all your questions.
DRL is daytime running lights, we have them in Canada only.
And no there is no way you could make something great with a bi-xenon kit.
The only great thing is that you can use the same ballasts with your single beam kit. Simply buy H13 single beam bulbs, HID relay harness and HID capacitors.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #5 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Man that's such a bummer that I wasted my money. It just strikes me funny that they would even make a bixenon bulb if you weren't supposed to use it.

Ok, at least I can use the same ballasts (they were such a pain to find a spot to mount, is that what you thought as well)? Do you have any suggestions as to where I would find the best deal on other single beam bulbs/relay harness/capacitors?

Also, would these single beam bulbs be bright enough for high beam as well as low? I live in northern Maine; with all the animals up here I need to be able to see clearly a long distance away.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 AM

Garage
Just to tell you the difference between bi-xenon and single beam.

Bi-xenon :
The shape of the beam is like two circles and I got "flashed" the first street I turned after the installation.

Single beam :
The shape of the beam is like a triangle or cone which is pretty much like the halogen bulbs beam. It's been 4 months now since I installed them and nobody has ever "flashed" me.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #7 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Alright, good to know. So would you think it's a good idea to order the same kit from the same website (carid.com), but this time just the single beam (low beam) kit? That's what I'd be looking to replace these bixenon bulbs with, correct?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents24 View Post
Man that's such a bummer that I wasted my money. It just strikes me funny that they would even make a bixenon bulb if you weren't supposed to use it.

Ok, at least I can use the same ballasts (they were such a pain to find a spot to mount, is that what you thought as well)? Do you have any suggestions as to where I would find the best deal on other single beam bulbs/relay harness/capacitors?

Also, would these single beam bulbs be bright enough for high beam as well as low? I live in northern Maine; with all the animals up here I need to be able to see clearly a long distance away.
I don't know why it's such a mess on the Compass, I've put a bi-xenon kit on a Ford Ranger and it was really great.

Well, it might not be enough light for super dark roads. That's why I ordered some bumper lights that I will install with a HID kit of course! :P But it's HID's so you have a lot more light output. Anyway the "high beam" of a bi-xenon kit is not really a high beam.

I suggest you go on Ebay for all the parts.

HID Trois-Rivières /

Last edited by mowgli; 03-08-2011 at 03:56 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Tell me about it, it's ridiculous. Now, what's your opinion on just a typical H13 PIAA xtreme bulb to avoid all the conversion kit that way I'd still get my high beams? Do you think that'd be more ideal?
post #10 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 AM

Garage
You could buy the bulbs from VVME, www.vvme.com , great quality and cheap price. I have a little HID company and I buy all my kits from them.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #11 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 AM

Garage
Well, all my customers that have HID on their low beam don't really use their halogen high beam! And you still have the ballasts, depends on your budget.

HID Trois-Rivières /

Last edited by mowgli; 03-08-2011 at 03:56 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok, almost done with the questions. I think I might have answered my own this time though, but just to be sure - you still get low and high beams with single beam don't you? On that website you just referred, you can see the difference between single, hi/low, and bixenon bulbs, and all of them have low/high beam options. Does this mean I'd still have high beams if I got a single beam bulb?
post #13 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Garage
No, you need single beam bulbs with no high beam. You lose your high beams.
Check out this link : http://www.vvme.com/single-beam-hid-....html?cPath=15
What color of bulbs did you use?

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #14 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Oh, ok. I would definitely need high beams, otherwise I won't pass inspection. I have 5000k right now and wouldn't want to go any higher because they probably won't be too great on wet roads.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 AM

Garage
Ok, if you absolutely need high beam, you should go with xenon bulbs like the PIAA.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #16 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

And would you have any links to these types of bulbs?
post #17 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Garage
You could buy these at canadian tire or a store like this. I've bought some on Ebay but they are not constant. One set is really great, with a good color and a good light output and the other set is crap. But it's a lot cheaper!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #18 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Great; thanks so much for your help! I'll let you know if I have any other questions.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 AM

Garage
Perfect! Sorry for your money wasted! You should have checked here first, that's why forums exist. If you need any other help, just ask here.

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #20 of 20 Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so I've decided to go with PIAA xtreme white bulbs so that I'll be able to keep my high beams - I also would like to replace my fog lights; is there a certain watt bulb required and can I get a cheaper bulb that looks similar to the PIAA bulbs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in