Cabin Air Filter - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Cabin Air Filter

hey,
i was wondering if anybody has put in the FRAM Fresh Breeze® Cabin air filter in their Compass?

I want to go ahead and change mine out to this one but i cant seem to find the one that actually fits the air filter without buying all of the reasonably sized ones and trying until one fits..

Ive looked online and on the actually website but it doesnt say anything about it. Ive also tried looking for it in those parts books you see in near the air filters and it has everyone's elses but the compass. Just seeing if there is a compatible one.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Here's the link to the part of the site where you can fill in your info since I don't know what year Compass you have or your engine: http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F. Just click the box for cabin air filters, fill in your details in the boxes that pop up and it will give you the correct part #. Hope this helps.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 03-12-2011 at 05:38 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Wow your good, lol I must of not explores the site all that well, I tried looking for it on the actual Fram cabin air filter website and it said nothing about the jeep compass lol,

Oh and it's a 2007 compass 2.4 limited

Thank you very much!! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Garage
Found a Cabin Air Filter!

Cherokee: OK, I actually found a cabin air filter for my 2007 Ltd at a local dealer; however, no one in their service department knew (or would admit to knowing) how to replace the old one and install the new one.
It looks like there are two possibilities: pulling the liner off the rear of the engine compartment, or dropping the glove compartment lid.
As a "Super Moderator" do you have any suggestions? If it is done through the glove compartment, how does a mechanical idiot like me go about doing that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #5 of 18 Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Ive already replaced it and i went through the glove compartment, i took everything out and unscrewed it off... wasn't too terribly hard just had to look for which screws actually took the glove compartment off and not another piece. I do suppose you could hold it down (glove compartment) and muscle your way (lightly to not break it) into and switch it out. but i felt that, going off your question, that unscrewing it is the better and more efficient way rather that taking the lining off.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Yep, looks like snwbdr09173 nailed it, it is accessed through the glove compartment. OldSpook, have you given it a try yet? If need be, I can see if I can't find a pic somewhere.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #7 of 18 Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Garage
Tried and Failed

I spent two hours yesterday trying to figger out how to drop the glove compartment. Found two small screws at the side that seemed to have some function and took them out. No joy. Felt around inside the sides and found rubber thingies held in place by permanent plastic fasteners. They seemed to be holding the compartment in place. Tried to wedge them out, around the sides of the mounting, but didn't want to break them. So I'm still at square one. Only glad I wasn't working on the wrong side of the car!!
Cherokee, if you can find the pics I'd really appreciate it. My Compass only has 23,500 mi on it, but it's been in some awfully dusty places (is the Navajo Nation around Chinle always in a dust storm??), and I have allergies. Four years is about time, eh?
post #8 of 18 Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Here's a vid I found of this where it shows how to squeeze the glove box all the way in order to get it past the stops and access the filter: YouTube - ‪Cabin air filter replacement- Dodge Caliber‬‏. It may be tough only because it hasn't been removed since assembly and I'll see what else I can find for ya.

- Cherokee

post #9 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 AM

Garage
Thanks very much, guys!
I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can't squeeze the sides of the glove box in far enough to release it -- without breaking it, hopefully! I think you're right, Cherokee -- I'm sure it hasn't been removed since assembly. I'll let you know how it turns out. My allergies may owe you one (right now, my khaki Compass is a sort of light yellow from all the pollen blowing down off the mountains!).
post #10 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM

Garage
Awright! It worked! I squeezed it out, and opened the cover (just like in the Caliber video) to find nothing. No old filter at all. Slipped the new one in and put it back together. All that effort and worry for 5 minutes work. Thanks for the guidance, tho!!!
post #11 of 18 Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Sweet, glad you got it taken care of and hopefully it will help keep the allergies at bay, I do understand how bad that is!

- Cherokee

post #12 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Garage
Fellas, there's other brands other than Fram. I just bought a filter made by Purolator. It appears to be well made and it fit perfectly in my filter slot. To drop the glove compartment you must apply inward pressure to both sides of the glove compartment that has the rubber grommets on the side. If you have not done it before, it will seem to be diffucult but enough pressure will allow you to move that glove box out and swing down. This will give you access. I paid $6.99 for this part at PepBoys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin filter.jpg (104.0 KB, 10 views)
post #13 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Garage
Cabin fiter instructions

Here is the instruction sheet for replacing the cabin air filter on your jeep compass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin filter instructions.jpg (82.5 KB, 39 views)
post #14 of 18 Old 07-17-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

i know there is the purolator brand. I chose the Fram brand because it has the Arm and hammer baking soda in there to help "cleanse" the air and make it smell nice whenever i forget the occasional fast food bag or sweet tea cup.. lol

but purolator is a good alternative for an cabin air filter
post #15 of 18 Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 AM

I "changed" mine when I bought my vehicle - the "original one" was also missing in mine. My guess is that it is standard practice not to include one. The hardest part was squeezing the sides of the glove box in far enough to get it to drop down. After that, easy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2009 Compass Sport, Green, 4X4, 5-spd
Roof rack, sunroof, fog lights
Boston Sound package
post #16 of 18 Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 AM

Garage
Just did this

I did this last night... Saved myself $5 of what it would have cost at the dealership lol. Seemed worth it somehow.

The glove box rear wall has slots to allow the side pieces and the bulk of the wall piece to overlap, easy once you know how.. My previous filter had been in there for about 1.5 years and it was black.... Lots of dust here!

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 AM

Felt right and left sides and held in place a permanent plastic fasteners that rubber thingies inside. They seem to be in the compartment. They tried to wedge mounted on both sides around, but do not want to break them. So, I was one of the square. Only happy, I was not wrong side of the car!
post #18 of 18 Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 AM

Compartment to drop, you must apply external pressure, the two sides of the glove compartment on the side of the rubber gasket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in