Lifted Compass Questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Lifted Compass Questions

What has been the largest size tires that have fit with out rubbing bad after RROs kit has been installed. Also what have people been getting for MPG after the lift?

Tried searching but never found what I was looking for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Garage
your best bet would be to hit up the jeep patriot forum, their big into off roading over there and our vehicles are the same except for body panels, i know they have threads about what tires fit with and without the RRO lift. Anything else you should be able to find help here, thank you for shopping at myjeepcompass.com lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Garage
You should notice a reduction of your braking power with bigger tires though.

HID Trois-RiviŤres /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Not real worried about the loss in stopping power. I live in the country so unless a deer jumps in front of me I have plenty of time to slow down. More concerned about having enough ground clearance for when the gravel roads I live on get bad. I currently drive a lifted silverado, running 285/70r16 just getting sick of 11-15mpg driving 17miles 1 way to work.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 PM

You could look at the clearance you have and see how far you dare fill the wheel wells. But that cuts down on the amount of travel you'd have. Those front bumper covers are not strong and if theres good tire contact it will certainly rip a piece out of fender.

A tire calculator would give you the size increase. I doubt you can lift it much I think I saw a kit for maybe 2" but these are car chassis and not intend for that application.

Good luck. Oh fill the holes in the road might work better. LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Well no vehicles were intended to be lifted. I'm mostly worried about the snow. My road doesn't get plowed very quickly. When it gets really bad I'll take my truck (15inches frame clearance 11.5 from rear axel housing). Really I just want to be able to fit aggressive a/t tires on to dig through the snow and crawl through the frost boils in the gravel. The absolutely best tire I have found for my truck is cooper discoverer s/t. Would love to fit a set of those on a compass.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM

Well they're not snow tires, aggressive ok but not the winter rubber thats need as well for traction. I have Nokian's on 3 SUV's. Certified Winter tires with all year round engineered thread and rubber.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Are saying the discoverer s/t isn't a good snow tire? Or just not rated as one? My personal use they are awesome in the snow, and about average on ice. I tried a few different tires this past winter that were recommended to me by a tire shop and returned all of them. Needed to be in 4 to go anywhere. One set was firestone steeltracks, hancook dynapro atm, and then toyo tuff country. Put the discoverers back on and only needed 4 twice. Even drove through a blizzard with knee high drifts leading the way for my buddies f250, who got stuck. I was in 2 wheel, also had 700lbs of dirt bikes and sand in the box.

Hope this post doesn't come off negative, just sharing why I believe in the discoverers. I will deff look at the tread you suggested when the time comes.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

I am say its not rated as one as are the Nokian in my signature. Rubber characteristic for traction disappear when it gets too cold. You may have a good aggressive traction pattern which is very important in any tire. As for weight and weight distribution of a vehicle it also makes a big difference. We have both a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer Sport with the same Nokian tires on both vehicles. Yet my Grands rear will break free much easier then the Ford in deeper snow and I need it in 4x4 mode while the Explorer pushes though. I attribute that to the weight at the back. Vehicles about the same size etc otherwise.

I another thread on Winter tires I had posted my experience this winter in over a foot of snow getting into my cottage and backing out and all the way through even some mild drifts to my snowmobile trailer at the corner of the lot. The Compass did it admirably and I was surprised. Drove back out through it and the next day with another 6 inches of snow and the previous snowfall was very firm now. It cut ruts through it and I got out without any tire spinning. I did manually turn on 4x4 Lock since it was clearly needed. Plowing the vehicle through higher depths of deep fluffy snow is not the same as firm, heavy or blown snow that packed together like wind blown sand.

I have driven into snow quite deep with a 4x4 (not these). got stuck and tires spun a bit and the vehicle dug down for traction leaving all four floating in the are. The 4x4 was sitting on top of a big bed of snow supported by the undercarriage.

================================
Apologies - I searched for them and according to this they ARE winter tires. Very good then. http://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop....FT&season=Snow

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-04-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Mis information corrected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in